Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by bubbajack View Post
    Wasn't aware of this...When the college football season (and more or less March Madness) ends I don't pay attention to college athletics much outside of spring ball.
    No biggie. They just announced it a last week.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...es?division=d1

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
      They are already getting a free education and now unlimited meals so no athletes will "starve" anymore. That should be enough imo. If they don't want to take advantage of a free education that's on them. If they are worried about money go play professional overseas or on some semi-pro team in the US. The higher D1 athletes are just getting greedier.
      Greedy is how you describe the athletes??????????? Jesus ****ing Christ on a pogo stick that might be the stupidest thing I've read in the 20 years I've been able to decipher the English language. Holy ****. The ... athletes ... are greedy. What adjective are we using to describe the NCAA then? They make hundreds of millions of dollars. The universities just destroyed a bunch of conferences and realigned to try and get more money from TV deals, but the ATHLETES are greedy?

Some things I'll just never comprehend.

Okay, Goon, TK, SanDakota, whoever. Can one of you PLEASE explain to me with some kind of legitimate rationale why you are fine with Universities, TV Networks, coaches, and the NCAA making money, but you are not okay with them sharing that money with athletes. Why do you think that isn't fair? Why should everyone get paid except for the people doing the work?

And please don't use the circular logic of they shouldn't get paid because they are "amateur" athletes.

Seriously though, give me a good answer to that question.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Okay, Goon, TK, SanDakota, whoever. Can one of you PLEASE explain to me with some kind of legitimate rationale why you are fine with Universities, TV Networks, coaches, and the NCAA making money, but you are not okay with them sharing that money with athletes. Why do you think that isn't fair? Why should everyone get paid except for the people doing the work?

And please don't use the circular logic of they shouldn't get paid because they are "amateur" athletes.

1.Every student who signs a letter of intent or agrees to accept a scholarship to play a sport knows going in that the school's job is to make the most money off of his or her efforts. They agree to that. It's no different than a professional athlete signing a contract.
        2. If the D1 athlete doesn't go pro and graduates they are leaving college with a degree and debt free while the non athletes are graduating but with 20-40k in debt. So they are basically getting paid 20-40k over 4 years. It's up to the athlete to take advantage of that.
        3. They get to travel the country and see the world for free. Staying in 1st class hotels and fly on charter jets to games (depending on school)
        4. Diminishes the value of an education. To pay student-athletes is pretty much like giving education the bird.
        5. What about the other sports besides basketball and football. Is the pay going to be the same? It wouldn't be fair toward the tennis, swimming, or bowling teams if they aren't. They are D1 athletes to who represent their school. Would the football star get paid more than a 3.9 GPA women's tennis player? Another problem will occur if it is salary pay.
        6. And most importantly they are amateur athletes

Comment

Greedy is how you describe the athletes??????????? Jesus ****ing Christ on a pogo stick that might be the stupidest thing I've read in the 20 years I've been able to decipher the English language. Holy ****. The ... athletes ... are greedy. What adjective are we using to describe the NCAA then? They make hundreds of millions of dollars. The universities just destroyed a bunch of conferences and realigned to try and get more money from TV deals, but the ATHLETES are greedy?

So you do have comprehension problems. So you obviously don't understand the value and cost of those scholarships. Some of those programs kids if they wanted could take advantage of a free education at a quality school. They know the deal. Some of those schools value of the scholarships are probably more then some of us make in a year.

Also again nobody forces them to go to college. Why do you make it seem like they are getting the worst deal in the history of bad deals? They know how it works and chose to go. None of us are saying the ncaa is great and shouldn't change. They could make plenty of changes but why is it so bad others make money from it? So that money uconn made from the ncaa you don't think any of that money goes back to the students in other ways or to support non revenue students athletes or only revenue sports should they get paid? You haven't made that clear? have you seen some of the practice facilities and training places they get to use? You probably despise bill gates for being a billionaire when his software engineers make pocket change in comparison.

Its the students ***** choice if they want to ***** go to class and take their ******* education seriously so don't act like they are being forced in to college with no benefits to them.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I would just allow athletes to make money with sponsors or signing autographs, etc. You would have to make limits such as $2/autograph or whatever. Obviously monitoring it would be difficult but maybe cap the amount you can make every year at $50,000? Just throwing stuff out here. Make the athletes go to the Olympic model. Then hopefully the schools don't have to deal with this crap.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

OK, Hat in Ring.
              I'm not going to argue with your logic. But if that is your thoughts, then what are your thoughts on regular students from a school (We'll use SDSU) paying for the education of those who play sports?

So for example the students are the largest yearly donor @ SDSU (or at least they were when I attended) and it is hard to argue against all Scholly's being fully funded without that money.

Comment

Benevolent. That's the word people like Mark Emmert might use to describe the NCAA. Of course, with that benevolence comes pretty big responsibility. Responsibility warrants a hefty salary. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.7 million should cover it.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

1.Every student who signs a letter of intent or agrees to accept a scholarship to play a sport knows going in that the school's job is to make the most money off of his or her efforts. They agree to that. It's no different than a professional athlete signing a contract.
                  2. If the D1 athlete doesn't go pro and graduates they are leaving college with a degree and debt free while the non athletes are graduating but with 20-40k in debt. So they are basically getting paid 20-40k over 4 years. It's up to the athlete to take advantage of that.
                  3. They get to travel the country and see the world for free. Staying in 1st class hotels and fly on charter jets to games (depending on school)
                  4. Diminishes the value of an education. To pay student-athletes is pretty much like giving education the bird.
                  5. What about the other sports besides basketball and football. Is the pay going to be the same? It wouldn't be fair toward the tennis, swimming, or bowling teams if they aren't. They are D1 athletes to who represent their school. Would the football star get paid more than a 3.9 GPA women's tennis player? Another problem will occur if it is salary pay.
                  1-It is very different. Professional athletes have free agency. Prior to free agency, professional athletes made a fraction of what they do today. If players could switch schools without penalty (like coaches and administrators), it would go a long way toward leveling the playing field.
                  5-I think you might be confusing the terms "fair" and "equal." Do salespeople make more than customer service staff at most companies? Why is that? When the tennis, swimming, or bowling teams start earning revenue instead of sucking it down, those athletes could be paid. Until then, their scholarship more than covers their contribution to the University's bottom line.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Put me in the Agree with RO column. Its outrageous to call athletes greedy when in fact how much will U OF Conn get for winning the BIG Dance? That is for the men's team, as the women's will receive much less and there too is an inequality that extents over decades. How much will the athletes receive for their efforts, a future in the NBA or in the women's case the WNBA? I think the institutions need to care better for those who have brought home the bacon. A free bacon and egg breakfast does not make it right.

SanDiego State is way off base with his greedy charge.

Comment

I never said I was OK with that. I'll let the others discuss the "payment" to amateur athletes. I'm just not interested in that discussion.

My question regarding Napier had more to do with the cost of education and the value of the scholarship. Again, if he was going to bed starving is that because A.) The scholarship amount isn't high enough or B.) He poorly mismanages his money by living in some nice off-campus pad, eating out every single day for lunch and supper, etc.

I am hesitant to share this story but I will. I was on full scholarship at SDSU. I applied for FAFSA and received several grants (due to my family's income) and offers for Stafford and Perkins loans. I took everything offered, regardless of the debt that I would be saddled with upon graduation. Why? I didn't want to work during college so I could focus on my studies. I also wanted to get out of school in 4 years (although looking back, wish I could have stayed for 10!). I didn't take the extra loans for "car payments" or "vacations". It was all academic related.

With that said, I had no problems meeting ends in college. That's where I have an issue with what Napier said. I do think his comment had more to do with getting "paid" rather than making any individual effort through federal loans, etc. to ensure that he had a full tummy at night.

Carry on.

Comment

I don't think you can assume everyone's OK with ESPN ,CBS, University's and coaches to make millions of dollars off of sports.This statement is absurd .It's the way it is.

We just don't want to add to the problem by finding another way to add to the price of a ticket.Your deceiving yourself if you think the cost won't get passed along to the consumer once again.

This is class warfare ,with class defined by how much money you make.They'll alway's be fights over money,alway's.Fairness and equality aren't given much consideration,it's about power and control,and yes,greed.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-22-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          I would just allow athletes to make money with sponsors or signing autographs, etc. You would have to make limits such as $2/autograph or whatever. Obviously monitoring it would be difficult but maybe cap the amount you can make every year at $50,000? Just throwing stuff out here. Make the athletes go to the Olympic model. Then hopefully the schools don't have to deal with this crap.
                          I have zero issue with this, but would add some type of revenue sharing for TV/merchandise. Perhaps TV money would go by conference. The SEC signs a $500 million contract with ESPN to broadcast football games? 50% of that money each year goes to the football players in the SEC. And then each school gives a % of merchandise money to athletes and spread it across all sports.

Anyone have issues with this? (I'm sure I'm missing something.)

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            I don't think you can assume everyone's OK with ESPN ,CBS, University's and coaches to make millions of dollars off of sports.This statement is absurd .It's the way it is.
                            These two statements are interesting so close together. To me, accepting something as the norm, i.e. it is the way it is, is the same thing as saying it's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              OK, Hat in Ring.
                              I'm not going to argue with your logic. But if that is your thoughts, then what are your thoughts on regular students from a school (We'll use SDSU) paying for the education of those who play sports?

So for example the students are the largest yearly donor @ SDSU (or at least they were when I attended) and it is hard to argue against all Scholly's being fully funded without that money.
                              Are you talking about the part of SDSU student tuition that goes to an activity ticket, or is there something else? I'm not fully informed on how that works, so if you (or someone) could explain it further that would be excellent.

Comment

1 & 5 - Pretty much what SF said.
                                2. Does the cost of that education that the athlete receives prevent universities and all those other groups from making money? If the answer is no, then there is still extra revenue floating out there getting other people rich. Why shouldn't athletes get a cut.
                                3. I believe you may be overstating the travel arrangements, but I could be wrong.
                                4. The current state of the NCAA does nothing to diminish education? Lol.

I thank you for the response. I don't agree with most of it, but at least there was some thought behind it.

Comment

Working...
                                X