Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

I haven't read much of this thread but don't college athletes make around $20,000/ year in a scholarship? That is more than some people make working 40 hours/week. I don't think that people should be required to go to college after high school. If they want to go to some minor league sports place and get paid that's fine by me. Do you just pay the football and basketball players? Do you pay athletes in all sports? Do they get paid more if they have more fans? I can understand having money set aside for college athletes that get injured but other than that, I don't think they should get more than what they are getting now. How about people like Matt Leinert? He took one class and it was ballroom dancing. How much money does he get paid for just playing football and partying? I wonder how many of these so called "student athletes" go to school, take real classes and pass them. I'm sure there are many more that do than don't but there probably are some that don't. They should have a place for these 1 year players to go and make money and not act like they are taking classes if they want to get paid so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I haven't read much of this thread but don't college athletes make around $20,000/ year in a scholarship? That is more than some people make working 40 hours/week. I don't think that people should be required to go to college after high school. If they want to go to some minor league sports place and get paid that's fine by me. Do you just pay the football and basketball players? Do you pay athletes in all sports? Do they get paid more if they have more fans? I can understand having money set aside for college athletes that get injured but other than that, I don't think they should get more than what they are getting now. How about people like Matt Leinert? He took one class and it was ballroom dancing. How much money does he get paid for just playing football and partying? I wonder how many of these so called "student athletes" go to school, take real classes and pass them. I'm sure there are many more that do than don't but there probably are some that don't. They should have a place for these 1 year players to go and make money and not act like they are taking classes if they want to get paid so bad.
      Scholarship money is Monopoly money for the most part so no they don't make 20k a year
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I've got a solution.

We will pay all college athletes minimum wage for the time they spend practicing, training, watching film, etc. They can then pay for their own education.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I've got a solution.

We will pay all college athletes minimum wage for the time they spend practicing, training, watching film, etc. They can then pay for their own education.
          I agree. Keep all of the big money going to the institutions, the NCAA, and TV networks and pay the students as little as possible. That will show them how good of a deal they're really getting.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

You make some decent points, and there are a lot of hard questions to answer.

http://rushthecourt.net/2013/09/25/m...25-13-edition/

"The same analysis is also easy enough to do for college basketball players. Louisville‘s hoops revenue of $42.4 million in 2012 is divided in half given the NBA’s rough 50/50 split with the players, leaving $21.2 million to be split 13 ways. The result: a Cardinals’ basketball player is worth $1.63 million to the university (if you buy into this methodology)."

OK, maybe 1.6 million is high. But there is a pretty big difference between $20K and $1.6 million. Would you be grateful to accept 1/80th of the market value for the job you are currently doing while management drives around in luxury imports?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
              Scholarship money is Monopoly money for the most part so no they don't make 20k a year
              Doesn't their scholarship provide them a free education(if they take advantage of it) that the normal person has to pay 20k/year for? I know they don't get paid that money but they don't have to pay the school that money that everybody else has to so in a round about way, they are paid.
              I know it is a rough 4 or 5 years but there are many people that go to college that are paying loans back 10+ years after they get out of school but these athletes don't have to worry about that.

I don't know if they should or shouldn't get paid but you could argue it this way.

Comment

The problem with this is if you pay the Louisville players 1.6 million do you just get rid of all college sports that don't make money? I know the NCAA and other people are taking a lot more than they deserve but they do need some of that money to pay for the non-revenue sports(unless you get rid of them). That's why I think they shouldn't make players go to college. Have them go oversea's, to the D League or someplace if they want to make money(not college). I'm sure people will still go to games, fill out brackets and spend money on college sports even if the top 20 players each year don't go there to play.

I don't think the system that they are using is the best system but I don't know what the best system is. In a way I'm glad I don't have that headache but I guess if I made the big buck's, I'd put up with the crap and see what I could do.

Comment

Doesn't their scholarship provide them a free education(if they take advantage of it) that the normal person has to pay 20k/year for? I know they don't get paid that money but they don't have to pay the school that money that everybody else has to so in a round about way, they are paid.
                  I know it is a rough 4 or 5 years but there are many people that go to college that are paying loans back 10+ years after they get out of school but these athletes don't have to worry about that.

I don't know if they should or shouldn't get paid but you could argue it this way.
                  Let's go through this again: Yes, scholarships are valuable and so is the education they receive. But student athletes cannot work during school. So if you have, for example, a first generation college student coming from a poor family, how does that kid buy a cup of coffee at the union? How about a bag of chips between classes? A t-shirt? New underwear? Lunch with a study group? Students with full-ride academic scholarships can work to earn that kind of "living" money. Student athletes cannot. That is the point of all of this. Student athletes would benefit from a small stipend that they could use for incidentals. They cannot earn that money otherwise. Nobody is arguing that scholarships aren't great or that student athletes should somehow get rich. We're talking about simply adding a small stipend, perhaps $2,000 a year, so a student athlete can live like a regular student. Educational and housing costs are just part of the cost of higher education.

That's why the first move from the NCAA on this issue is allowing athletic programs to provide additional food. Makes sense to me.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Let's go through this again: Yes, scholarships are valuable and so is the education they receive. But student athletes cannot work during school. So if you have, for example, a first generation college student coming from a poor family, how does that kid buy a cup of coffee at the union? How about a bag of chips between classes? A t-shirt? New underwear? Lunch with a study group? Students with full-ride academic scholarships can work to earn that kind of "living" money. Student athletes cannot. That is the point of all of this. Student athletes would benefit from a small stipend that they could use for incidentals. They cannot earn that money otherwise. Nobody is arguing that scholarships aren't great or that student athletes should somehow get rich. We're talking about simply adding a small stipend, perhaps $2,000 a year, so a student athlete can live like a regular student. Educational and housing costs are just part of the cost of higher education.

That's why the first move from the NCAA on this issue is allowing athletic programs to provide additional food. Makes sense to me.
                    Additional food makes sense. You know it and I know it, that the problem with providing them actual money is that a lot won't use the money on essentials anyway. They'll use it on xbox ones, ps4's, tattoos, phones, $300 sneakers, you name it...and still end up naked and hungry.

Doesn't SDSU have it's own currency? Hobo dough? I would imagine most universities have something similar...2000 bones onto a "Hobo card" or something like that that can only be used on food and clothes I could support.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

• Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                      Additional food makes sense. You know it and I know it, that the problem with providing them actual money is that a lot won't use the money on essentials anyway. They'll use it on xbox ones, ps4's, tattoos, phones, $300 sneakers, you name it...and still end up naked and hungry.

Doesn't SDSU have it's own currency? Hobo dough? I would imagine most universities have something similar...2000 bones onto a "Hobo card" or something like that that can only be used on food and clothes I could support.
                      Sterotyping just a little maybe?

Comment

The problem with this is if you pay the Louisville players 1.6 million do you just get rid of all college sports that don't make money? I know the NCAA and other people are taking a lot more than they deserve but they do need some of that money to pay for the non-revenue sports(unless you get rid of them). That's why I think they shouldn't make players go to college. Have them go oversea's, to the D League or someplace if they want to make money(not college). I'm sure people will still go to games, fill out brackets and spend money on college sports even if the top 20 players each year don't go there to play.

I don't think the system that they are using is the best system but I don't know what the best system is. In a way I'm glad I don't have that headache but I guess if I made the big buck's, I'd put up with the crap and see what I could do.
                        I would argue schools like Louisville are actually stealing the wages earned by their basketball players to pay for the college education of non-revenue athletes (and some nice facilities around campus). Which is especially funny since revenue sports tend to have far more minority and financially challenged athletes than sports like equestrian or golf.

I don't have answers.

Many people have said these athletes should go minor league or overseas. It would appear to me that major college athletics have already carved out a nice little minor league for themselves. The major conferences operating as fronts for higher education has become an absolute farce, IMO.

Major college athletics have changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Nebraska's football capacity has increased more in the last 10 years than it did in the previous 50. In addition to all that ticket revenue, they've added luxury boxes, licensing, TV deals, etc, etc, etc. Nebraska football already operates as a minor league football team, they just don't have to pay their players.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think half the problem is the ones who really want to get paid are the ones who have little interest in being a "student" athlete. I think a majority of athletes from every division and confrence most know they are actually getting a good deal. That getting an education paid for is very valuable to have. Even though they might miss out on other college life, they still chose to go. No one forces a kid to have to go to college. Maybe football there are fewer options to going pro or semi pro out of high school, but basketall and other sports if you want you can do that and no go to college.

Like posted earlier if all the college players at SDSU got a stipend on the hobo dough card, to pay for food and stuff on campus, sure thats great, but giving them a 2000 check to say hey use to live off of for the semester and it would be used up in a week. I knew a guy who after paying for classes still had about 2k left over, and instead of paying for rent or keeping aside for food, bought a drum set, another a nice Mt bike. So basically they would have to have I feel rather strict limits to what that money could be used for. And as pointed earlier something like a hobo dough card could help keep that money where its intended.

I think they if they want additional spending money, I think they can take out private school loans right? Im just asking but are there restrictions on like academic scholarships on top of athletic ones? and if there are is there away to get federal student loans or just private? that is stuff i am not 100% sure how it works.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

John Calipari released a new book yesterday called Players First:Coaching from the Inside Out, and I plan on buying it. In the book he describes how to make the NCAA better and a few other things.
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Exhibit A- Dykstra item in current Jackrabbit Auction. Starting bid is $50. SDSU probably won't make zillions out of this and the Lusignan jersey and the signed football helmet etc. however, imagine the $$$ UConn are making out of Shabazz Napier items while he goes to bed "starving."
                              A small stipend is justified. If a player blows it all on pot and tats and still goes to bed starving that is on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Sterotyping just a little maybe?
                                You havent been a college kid for ahwile have you?

thats what college kids spend money on when they have extra money. Not all, but a lot would find a way to waste it which sort of defeats the purpose of that support.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X