Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fired Coaches

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    I have no problems controlling the "millions of dollars" that float around my company
    And your company has highly valuable employees who are not paid at all, right?

Comment

The biggest problem with th NCAA is that they charge other schools with lack of institutional control when in fact they lack institutional control themselves
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I think the NCAA rules are pretty ridiculous. It really isn't possible to be 100% compliant.

The vast majority of the time, no official at the university knows about the violations while they are occurring. It isn't possible to police all the student athletes and boosters during the recruiting process or playing career. The best they can do is educate and make sure the seriousness of violations are understood by all parties. I too believe most AD's and coaches are on the up and up.
        What you are saying is the NCAA Rules equal the Ten Commandments. Most Christian Demoninations believe that the Ten Commandments can not be followed 100% of the time and I would agree. Since the Ten Commandments came down to Moses on Mt Sinai, not the one west of Brookings, they were guidelines for the followers of Moses to follow. Not perfect rules, but they worked in those days. The NCAA is an organization of member schools who seeks to police itself with NCAA rules and regs. Sort of like the Ten Commandments, not perfect but better for everyone if they are in place rather than picking and choosing. Assuming you are in some sort of leadership role in your work, I am surprised with the comment" I think the NCAA rules are pretty ridiculous. So are the rules at your place of work ridiculous too?

What would you replace these ridiculous rules with? Some do not make sense, but often they do and they have a very significant reason behind them. There are no people on the NCAA staff who think up stupid rules just to make people lives miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          The biggest problem with th NCAA is that they charge other schools with lack of institutional control when in fact they lack institutional control themselves
          Exactly. The big schools want only so much enforcement by the NCAA. They don't want an organization with too much power or too much competence.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

What would you replace these ridiculous rules with?
            Well, speaking to the Ten Commandments (law of Moses, or Old Covenant), those rules (all 600+) were replaced by Jesus (New Covenant). Rather than looking to a set of laws to guide life, one looks to the Holy Spirit for guidance.

I have no idea what can be the NCAA compliance books Jesus.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              Well, speaking to the Ten Commandments (law of Moses, or Old Covenant), those rules (all 600+) were replaced by Jesus (New Covenant). Rather than looking to a set of laws to guide life, one looks to the Holy Spirit for guidance.I have no idea what can be the NCAA compliance books Jesus.
              I'm gonna need more beer here . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I'm gonna need more beer here . . .
                And popcorn?

Or Pie?
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

There are no people on the NCAA staff who think up stupid rules just to make people lives miserable.
                  i don't know , they have a pretty big staff.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    i don't know , they have a pretty big staff.
                    Maybe they need a staff to enforce the rules that have been approved by the self enforcing committees of Presidents and AD's. If you think this is ridiculous, then whats the purpose in having any rules at all. Why not let everyone just do as they please. Hire a team of term paper writers for your athletic programs so the students don't have to be bothered with all this learning stuff. I believe thats what U OF Minn did under Coach Clem Haskins. Thats point I was trying to make.
                    Would you join a social club such as country club and not expect to follow their rules? The rules do have a purpose.

I apologize for getting on the religious kick for which I know very little. And yes Rowdy, Jesus died for our sins, the ones we could not keep under the old covent of the ten commandments. Hmm strange that the Bethel Bible series lessons are coming back to fore of my mind, but I digress.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

One year contracts

Strategery

Art Vandelay
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I have no idea what can be the NCAA compliance books Jesus.
                        Having problems with your train of thought here. Please elaborate.

Comment

Jesus (the new covenant) replaced the laws (the old covenant).

I got it wrong though, instead of wondering what can be the NCAA compliance books Jesus, I should have wondered what can be the NCAA TEAMS Jesus. (What can replace the all the impossible to follow rules in the NCAA.)

Uffda. I'm confusing myself, trying to parallel the two.
                          Last edited by RowdyRabbit; 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Jesus (the new covenant) replaced the laws (the old covenant).

I got it wrong though, instead of wondering what can be the NCAA compliance books Jesus, I should have wondered what can be the NCAA TEAMS Jesus. (What can replace the all the impossible to follow rules in the NCAA.)

Uffda. I'm confusing myself, trying to parallel the two.
                            I get your drift here, and I agree most of the NCAA rules have purpose, but some seem impossible to follow, and I remember Bill Gross AD an former BB coach at Augie, telling of not being able to lend a few bucks to one of his players on a basketball trip in order to buy toothpaste because it could be infraction, and it makes no sense, but following these rules to a tee sometimes means something boadering on ridiclous. So SF-Jack Fan if that is what you are referring to I agree, but there are other rules that do make sense in that they protect the intergrity of the SA and the institution. I always go back to U of Mn and their term paper writers as the prime example.

Comment

REALLY? Lol

Comment

A name associated with SDSU's basketball history (not in a good way) is rumored to be a candidate for Richard Pitino's staff at Minnesota. Ryan Miller, currently an assistant at Auburn , will be remembered for that regional final in Frost while playing at Northern State in 1998.

Comment

Working...
                                X