Fired Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fired Coaches

Rumblings around Minneapolis are that the Gophers will announce Flip Saunders as their head coach as early as tonight, if its the case I think its a solid choice, but I think they should have offered it to him right away. Still I'd be a little nervous about a guy who hasn't been involved with college athletics in over 20 years.

Sounds as if Tubby Smith will be the next Texas Tech coach if they can get the money worked out.

Ben Jacobson HC at Northern Iowa has signed an extension at Northern Iowa

Reports are that Brad Stevens has agreed to stay at Butler, leaving UCLA to look elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Rumblings around Minneapolis are that the Gophers will announce Flip Saunders as their head coach as early as tonight, if its the case I think its a solid choice, but I think they should have offered it to him right away. Still I'd be a little nervous about a guy who hasn't been involved with college athletics in over 20 years.

Sounds as if Tubby Smith will be the next Texas Tech coach if they can get the money worked out.

Ben Jacobson HC at Northern Iowa has signed an extension at Northern Iowa

Reports are that Brad Stevens has agreed to stay at Butler, leaving UCLA to look elsewhere
      I totally agree on Flip. I've been a fan since watching him play while I was in college. He bleeds Maroon and Gold and has the support of the big $ boosters to get a practice facility built. Hasn't coached in college recently , but if you can coach in the NBA and CBA , you can make it work in college. I would guess he would bring in assistants that are strong recruiters that know the college scene.

Comment

Sounds as if Steve Alford, who just signed a 10 year deal to stay at New Mexico will be the new head coach at UCLA, he had previously turned down USC this year. Ummmm I love Alford, I think he is a great coach, but I don't think he will do well at UCLA, he hated the pressure at Iowa (even though unfair), and seemed to be doing alright at New Mexico and liking it there. My guess is he doesn't last 3 years at UCLA and will hate it there. (watch him go win a national championship now)

Comment

Sounds as if Steve Alford, who just signed a 10 year deal to stay at New Mexico will be the new head coach at UCLA, he had previously turned down USC this year. Ummmm I love Alford, I think he is a great coach, but I don't think he will do well at UCLA, he hated the pressure at Iowa (even though unfair), and seemed to be doing alright at New Mexico and liking it there. My guess is he doesn't last 3 years at UCLA and will hate it there. (watch him go win a national championship now)
          Really? If so, so much for the security of multi-year contracts then, eh?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Really? If so, so much for the security of multi-year contracts then, eh?
            Only had a $1 million buyout, actually only $150K, as the $1 million didn't go into effect until April 1st, and my guess is he was in the teens (or the seeds he often loses to) as their choice.

I'm a fan of Alford's but he is Howland with less success.

This is the prime example of how not to do an extension and buyout.
            Last edited by joeboo22; 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Rumors has it, that Alford was upset that AD publicity stated they are paying for his raise through increased ticket prices and concessions. Multi year deals mean nothing in college sports. Alford can handle pressure he played for Knight in Bloomington.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                Rumors has it, that Alford was upset that AD publicity stated they are paying for his raise through increased ticket prices and concessions. Multi year deals mean nothing in college sports. Alford can handle pressure he played for Knight in Bloomington.
                Yeah, but he is great at raising expectations only to fail in the post season. He can win at UCLA but if he has the previous 3 seasons he had at New Mexico is gone. He does bring the type of personality UCLA needed though and he will be able to utilize UCLA way more then Howland ever did

Story is Flip Saunders has turned down the Gophers and they have since contacted Andy Enfield (FGSU), though he is looked at as a leading candidate. Not really sure what the deal is with Flip (if true), but I've heard he could very well be the next Cleveland Cavs coach (he is from Ohio). Also possible he will have role with the Timberwolves.

Sounds as if it may not have been a true offer to Flip as well, something where they offered him, but the deal and situation (hiring his staff, etc.) was something he wouldn't accept.

Comment

Multi year deals mean nothing in college sports.
                  Not true. The strength of a multi-year contract is in the amount and language of the buyout clause. See Weis, Charlie and O'Brien, Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    Not true. The strength of a multi-year contract is in the amount and language of the buyout clause. See Weis, Charlie and O'Brien, Bill.
                    The buyout clause can prevent you from leaving or getting fired in some cases but for most universities coaches get fired and coaches leave despite having multi year contracts.
                    See Alford, Steve and Howland, Ben
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

No doubt, at a school like SDSU the only real thing a buyout is going to do is prevent schools slightly better from targeting, and he won't get on as many head hunting list.

1 thing I'd like schools to do is get better language to protect them.

One big thing I'd like added to contracts is this

#1 If not asked permission to interview (by coach or school) the buyout is voided and the contract becomes the buyout.

Comment

I've heard rumblings and now Roy Schmidt (he runs http://www.ilprepbullseye.com/ ) is reporting that Jim Molinari has interviewed for the Minnesota job.

Sounds more like a courtesy interview rather then anything serious, but at the rate they are going who knows.

San Jose State has hired Boise St. Associate H.C. Dave Wojcik as their Head Coach

This is his first head coaching job
                        Last edited by joeboo22; 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

The buyout clause can prevent you from leaving or getting fired in some cases but for most universities coaches get fired and coaches leave despite having multi year contracts.
                          See Alford, Steve and Howland, Ben
                          My point exactly. You stated that multi-year deals are worthless and I pointed out 2 examples of when they do have value. You can't paint those deals with a broad brush.

Multi-year deals mean something if the buyout is high enough. Bill O'Brien isn't coaching in the NFL this year because of his.

If New Mexico was serious about keeping Alford for the long haul, his buyout would have been much, much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            My point exactly. You stated that multi-year deals are worthless and I pointed out 2 examples of when they do have value. You can't paint those deals with a broad brush.

Multi-year deals mean something if the buyout is high enough. Bill O'Brien isn't coaching in the NFL this year because of his.

If New Mexico was serious about keeping Alford for the long haul, his buyout would have been much, much higher.
                            Yes, the issue is the buyout works two ways, does SDSU want to have a $500K buyout, and if things go south they have to write that check. That is the issue, and a high % buyout is still relatively small to many schools (even some mid-majors).

Ask Minnesota about some of the buyouts they've had to write $3.3 million for Tubby, $1.5 for Haskins (and he put them on probation), I'm sure the football coaches they've fired have had some as well.

Comment

There are a few comments about contracts in this thread that demonstrate a lack of understanding of some basic contract principles. But, carry on: everyone can have an opinion.

Comment

Yeah, but he is great at raising expectations only to fail in the post season. He can win at UCLA but if he has the previous 3 seasons he had at New Mexico is gone. He does bring the type of personality UCLA needed though and he will be able to utilize UCLA way more then Howland ever did

Story is Flip Saunders has turned down the Gophers and they have since contacted Andy Enfield (FGSU), though he is looked at as a leading candidate. Not really sure what the deal is with Flip (if true), but I've heard he could very well be the next Cleveland Cavs coach (he is from Ohio). Also possible he will have role with the Timberwolves.

Sounds as if it may not have been a true offer to Flip as well, something where they offered him, but the deal and situation (hiring his staff, etc.) was something he wouldn't accept.
                                From what I am reading , Flip was told he couldn't hire his son Ryan , who is currently with the Washington Wizards.

Comment

Working...
                                X