This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cody Larson

I don't think this talk about Cody helps us (AJ and the womens BB team,have offer out) in recruiting Tagyn Larson ,Codys sister.Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      With time ticking on his eligibility,you would think that if he is going to stay in D1 that he would transfer before the second semester starts. That way he would be eligible for the second half of the 13/14 season.
      That would be my guess, it just says academic year, that could mean semester. I'm sure the argus leader will have a story about the situation sooner or later.

Comment

Im guessing Cody isnt going to care what a bunch of idiots on a message board have to say about him.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
          Wow you guys are something else! Need I remind you that Cody's sister is a member of the Jackrabbit family which means that her parents already attend games. Yet here you are taking cheap shots at Cody and his dad. If I recall, some of the same posters had it out with Nate's dad on this board when Nate wasn't sure if he'd come here. So Cody didn't come here initially, oh well! What happened to the "It don't matter where they come from, once they're here they're Jackrabbits" motto? Besides, unless any of you on here are coaches I don't believe you have a say what-so-ever in the matter!
          Correct. Definition of message boards. The sane and rational don't waste their time on it. Thanks for participating.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Looks like Seville lost his cool.
            Seville is entitled to his opinion as am I. We disagree on this topic. That makes me a dick in his mind. I'm more than okay with him having that opinion of me. I qualified what I said by saying it was my opinion and it means nothing in this situation, its no more than that an opinion. If Seville is trying to protect young Mr. Larson I respect him for him for that. Perhaps I have been too harsh in my assessment.

My point, made poorly perhaps, is that SDSU has an excellent nucleus of young men that want to play for SDSU. I don't want to see that jeapordized. I could speculate all day and night about this situation but it's clearly too emotional for some to even offer that.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Seville is entitled to his opinion as am I. We disagree on this topic. That makes me a dick in his mind. I'm more than okay with him having that opinion of me. I qualified what I said by saying it was my opinion and it means nothing in this situation, its no more than that an opinion. If Seville is trying to protect young Mr. Larson I respect him for him for that. Perhaps I have been too harsh in my assessment.

My point, made poorly perhaps, is that SDSU has an excellent nucleus of young men that want to play for SDSU. I don't want to see that jeapordized. I could speculate all day and night about this situation but it's clearly too emotional for some to even offer that.
              I sincerely believe bringing in a transfer at this point in time is very much a risk. This transfer has to be a fit. Larson talent is something we would like to have, but he would have to grow up and follow team rules to a tea, otherwise he would be a big distraction. At the Endowment banquet Feigen was one of the speakers. He spoke of gratitude of receiving a full ride scholarship and how he did not have to bother his father at the bank for student loans. He really spoke from the heart. Larson on the other hand does not appear to be gratiful for anything and that is his big problem that he would bring back to SDSU. If Coach Nagy chooses to pass on Larson, I dont have any problems with his choice. Let Seville and Dad Larson worry about finding a new home for Cody.

Comment

I sincerely believe bringing in a transfer at this point in time is very much a risk. This transfer has to be a fit. Larson talent is something we would like to have, but he would have to grow up and follow team rules to a tea, otherwise he would be a big distraction. At the Endowment banquet Feigen was one of the speakers. He spoke of gratitude of receiving a full ride scholarship and how he did not have to bother his father at the bank for student loans. He really spoke from the heart. Larson on the other hand does not appear to be gratiful for anything and that is his big problem that he would bring back to SDSU. If Coach Nagy chooses to pass on Larson, I dont have any problems with his choice. Let Seville and Dad Larson worry about finding a new home for Cody.
                The thing to understand is he wouldn't play this year, and at the earliest would play second semester next year. That is different then bringing in a guy for this years team, very late, who expects to see minutes. So essentially he is a class of 2014 recruit. with 2 years of eligibility.

I do though want people to be careful. I know plenty of people who had plenty of problems off the court, and were some of the best on the court, best teammates, best everything. At the same point I know people who were clean as you get off the court, yet were not well liked on the court, not good teammates, etc.

I think he is an idiot off the court, and if he wasn't a D-I basketball player would have been serving quality jail time for what he has done. But again, that doesn't mean he would be a bad fit for the basketball team.

Comment

I was behind the kid when he initially screwed up(the painkillers and what not), but the stuff in Florida was pretty ridiculous. That being said if Nagy says its alright, it's alright. 1/2 scholarship at the most, but who knows.
                  1) As for bipolar boards: Thank your stars you aren't a Bison fan then I guess. I think all of us try to stay pretty even keel. But we all have our moments, bad moods, someone rubs us the wrong way, our point doesn't come across right, or auto-fill screws something up. We are all people with differing opinions, everything we say is not gospel, they are just opinions. Some are stronger than others, one day we could be passionate about something and three weeks later, we may realize "screw it, it's not that big of deal. In the end it's just a message board, take it with a grain of salt. It's ok to argue, disagree, get fed up, change-your-mind, and forget what you said in a previous post two years ago. In the end we are all Jacks fans, even when some don't pick the Jacks to win every time. Parents reading our posts shouldn't even pay attention to us, pay attention to those good coaches we have that are going to make their kids quality individuals.We're just idiots discussing games that most of us weren't even talented enough to be successful at ourselves(mostly speaking of myself). (P.S. Why would anybody start arguing with a parent/coach or someone who has an influence over a potential recruit? That's just plain dumb.)

2) That being said there are two things I can't stand in this world. People that don't respect other people's cultures, and the Dutch.
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                    2) That being said there are two things I can't stand in this world. People that don't respect other people's cultures, and the Dutch.
                    The Dutch are not much. Some of my best friends are Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      The thing to understand is he wouldn't play this year, and at the earliest would play second semester next year. That is different then bringing in a guy for this years team, very late, who expects to see minutes. So essentially he is a class of 2014 recruit. with 2 years of eligibility.

I do though want people to be careful. I know plenty of people who had plenty of problems off the court, and were some of the best on the court, best teammates, best everything. At the same point I know people who were clean as you get off the court, yet were not well liked on the court, not good teammates, etc.

I think he is an idiot off the court, and if he wasn't a D-I basketball player would have been serving quality jail time for what he has done. But again, that doesn't mean he would be a bad fit for the basketball team.
                      Is a rotten apple less rotten two years later? If this is whats on his agenda in terms of playing, then why not look at a D2 program like Augie.

I think Nagy has hand picked his roster and he knows all the kids who are team players. If Larson had any concept of team, he would still be at Florida and in good standing.

Comment

I'm not gonna excuse him for his actions(at Florida or in high school), but this was a young guy who was put into a big spotlight in Florida. How many people did he know down at Florida before he started taking classes? Probably zero (except for his teammates). He made a mistake by going out with teammates one night and he paid for it. If Nagy looks at Cody playing at SDSU, I'm gonna believe Nagy has had a huge talk with him about the expectations for SDSU players. If anyone thinks Nagy would bring Cody in if there was any chance for a repeat performance, they are crazy. He still is a young man and all of us made mistakes, it's just ours didn't make the newspaper for everyone to read.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Is a rotten apple less rotten two years later? If this is whats on his agenda in terms of playing, then why not look at a D2 program like Augie.

I think Nagy has hand picked his roster and he knows all the kids who are team players. If Larson had any concept of team, he would still be at Florida and in good standing.
                          IDK, again, I don't know the kid. More or less what I'm getting at is much of the current roster wouldn't be their when he is able to play. I think D2 would be the right path for him, because of transfer rules.

Comment

Is a rotten apple less rotten two years later?
                            I'll use the above comment from Nidaros as a starting off point: If you're talking about apples, you may have a point. If you're talking about people, you don't have a point. You're comparing apples to, well...people.

Seems to me I recall someone writing on this board that they quit drinking years ago because they had a problem with drinking. People change. Young people in particular change. More than ninety-nine percent of young people turn out to be fine citizens even though many made mistakes in their youth.

Shouldn't this thread just go away? Unless somebody has credible proof Larson may play at SDSU, what remains to be discussed?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I'll use the above comment from Nidaros as a starting off point: If you're talking about apples, you may have a point. If you're talking about people, you don't have a point. You're comparing apples to, well...people.

Seems to me I recall someone writing on this board that they quit drinking years ago because they had a problem with drinking. People change. Young people in particular change. More than ninety-nine percent of young people turn out to be fine citizens even though many made mistakes in their youth.

Shouldn't this thread just go away? Unless somebody has credible proof Larson may play at SDSU, what remains to be discussed?
                              U got me in all directions. The rotten apple analogies are unfair to Cody and my apologies to Cody and family, but can Cody contribute to SDSU if given the opportunity? I have my personal doubts, but have been wrong many times about many people. The current roster includes some very productive student/athletes and would Cody fit in? Also Billy Donavon pulling his scholarship seems to tell us, that it was time for Cody to move on. That in itself seems to raise several flags.

Without the scholarship money, it had to cost some money to continue as a walk on at UF. If Joeboo22 is correct about the transfer rules, it would be a while before Cody would wear a Jacks uniform. In the meantime without the scholarship money, how does he survive? Would SDSU use a scholarship in order for him to sit for a year and a half? Thats something to think about.

An old guy like me should not be worrying about some young basketball player and I dont plan to going forward. You are right about young people making mistakes. Gov Janklow did not have a good record as a high schooler in Flandreau. Seems like he had a choice of joining the USMC or going to a training school and it was not Dunwoody Institute, in the twin cities. Except for his disrespect for the speeding laws, he did have a very productive life. A very brilliant person. No doubt there were several old koots in Flandreau who did not think he would amount to anything.

Like you said until we know more there is not a whole lot to contribute to this thread.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-28-2012, 07:48 AM.

Comment

U got me in all directions. The rotten apple analogies are unfair to Cody and my apologies to Cody and family, but can Cody contribute to SDSU if given the opportunity? I have my personal doubts, but have been wrong many times about many people. The current roster includes some very productive student/athletes and would Cody fit in? Also Billy Donavon pulling his scholarship seems to tell us, that it was time for Cody to move on. That in itself seems to raise several flags.

Without the scholarship money, it had to cost some money to continue as a walk on at UF. If Joeboo22 is correct about the transfer rules, it would be a while before Cody would wear a Jacks uniform. In the meantime without the scholarship money, how does he survive? Would SDSU use a scholarship in order for him to sit for a year and a half? Thats something to think about.

An old guy like me should not be worrying about some young basketball player and I dont plan to going forward. You are right about young people making mistakes. Gov Janklow did not have a good record as a high schooler in Flandreau. Seems like he had a choice of joining the USMC or going to a training school and it was not Dunwoody Institute, in the twin cities. Except for his disrespect for the speeding laws, he did have a very productive life. A very brilliant person. No doubt there were several old koots in Flandreau who did not think he would amount to anything.

Like you said until we know more there is not a whole lot to contribute to this thread.
                                Donovan seemed to say much nicer things once Larson left the team, then he did when taking him off the scholarship. I'm paraphrasing but it was like he has made great strides off the court, and I hope he continues to off the court as well. I think the scholarship being pulled had more to do with on the court, then off the court. If he was averaging 25 minutes a game he would still be on scholarship. Many times coaches use power plays to get guys to leave, I'm sure he had reason to pull his scholarship because of his past. So unless someone has direct information on a specific act that lead for Donovan to pull his scholarship, I'm just going to believe its because he didn't think he deserved one on the court.

Comment

Working...
                                X