• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Paterno Passes

At age 85, 1/22/12.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...bituary_012212

Re: Joe Paterno Passes

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Hupefully people will remember him for the good he has done not the one big mistake in life. Like janklow in a way. Never judge a man in his darkest hour.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

85 year old people don't survive lung cancer very often. I found it a little dishonest when they were reporting that he had a "treatable form of lung cancer and should recover fully." Treatment for lung cancer involves surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy and even when caught in the earliest stages it is deadly more often than not. Complications of treatment are common and those complications often lead to significant morbidity and quite often mortality as was the case for Coach Paterno. Time to celebrate the life he lived and the legacy he left behind as well as the lessons that will be learned by his mistakes.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        85 year old people don't survive lung cancer very often. I found it a little dishonest when they were reporting that he had a "treatable form of lung cancer and should recover fully." Treatment for lung cancer involves surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy and even when caught in the earliest stages it is deadly more often than not. Complications of treatment are common and those complications often lead to significant morbidity and quite often mortality as was the case for Coach Paterno. Time to celebrate the life he lived and the legacy he left behind as well as the lessons that will be learned by his mistakes.
        Agree with all that. I know people much younger that have been through both chemo and radiation, i can't imagine what he went through at 85.

Comment

I said about 4 years ago the day JoePa quits coaching, he will pass away within that year. Football was JoePa and the included stress of the Sandusky situation didn't help either. I had a feeling that would happen and it did.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Hupefully people will remember him for the good he has done not the one big mistake in life. Like janklow in a way. Never judge a man in his darkest hour.

I agree. I just think it's too bad that he did pass right after the mistake that he made. But I know that I will remember him for the legend of football that he has, for who he was.
            Great moments are born from great opportunities.
            ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Rest in Peace JoPa
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                I said about 4 years ago the day JoePa quits coaching, he will pass away within that year. Football was JoePa and the included stress of the Sandusky situation didn't help either. I had a feeling that would happen and it did.
                Mussberger (sp?) said Coach Paterno told him the same. He asked him why he wanted to keep coaching and Joe said he felt he would suffer the same fate as Bear Bryant who died shortly after he retired. Joe had no other interests outside of football and Penn State.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Watched a little bit of JoePa's memorial service. It was interesting listening to former players talk about him. It's clear he touched a lot of people.

Sunday morning my girlfriend and I were watching ESPN just after they announced his death. She looked at me and said, "He died of a broken heart." I had to agree. Just after she said that they had Matt Millen on and he said the same thing. Penn State was JoePa and you take that away from him he had nothing to fight for.

JoePa deserved a better ending.

Comment

JoePa deserved a better ending.[/QUOTE]

AMEN, so did the trusting youngsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      JoePa deserved a better ending.
                      AMEN, so did the trusting youngsters.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree.

It's a terrible situation all around. I still think Joe was the fall guy. Penn State needed to make a splash and firing Joe accomplished that. Can't help but think that made his battle end earlier than maybe it would have.

Comment

Of course he deserved a better ending. What bothers me is the people that fail to see that. Penn State just needed something else and getting rid of Joe acheived that for them. I definitely agree with everyone that says he deserved a better ending.
                        ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I'm not so sure he deserved a better ending. He got paid millions of dollars to coach a game he loved. He died at an old age.

There was controversy in his life because he, among others, ignored someone around their program who has been accused of over 50 counts of child molestation.

Do you know who deserves a better ending? Malnourished children or people hit by drunk drivers. Not a millionaire football coach that lived into his 80s.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

No doubt about his character and the values that he taught so many young and old men. Outsting him may have been premature. It seems to presume guilt rather than innocence in this whole Sandusky affair.

Sandusky is the villian. When Standusky resigned his coaching position, did Paterno ask a lot of probing questions. Probably not, as he could easily thought his leaving was his choice, and he was tired of coaching, but what about the head coaching offers that came Sandusky's way? Turning them down would have turned a lightbulb of curiosity on in my mind.

There was an ungoing investigation that should have included the AD and Paterno, or at least made aware of what was going on. When Sandusky left, everyone thought his reason was to be involved in the shell charity. His involvement was for the wrong reasons. This what really stinks about this whole affair. I think there more shoes to fall.

Joe's memorial service was appropriate, but his name in my mind is name is not fully cleared in this matter. I think the former players have a right to think highly of their former coach, but........
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 01-28-2012, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Joe isn't the bad guy.
                              ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Working...
                              X