This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reily Reiff

Did you ask him how come he couldn't outrun eight cops?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Did you ask him how come he couldn't outrun eight cops?
      Hard to out run the radio, especially in downtown Iowa City.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Joe seems to imply that these Reily Reiff sort of things are going on at SDSU. I kind of doubt it. I know of one instance, and its been a few years back where a scholarship was pulled and in this instance, so I found out from others, the student athlete was caught in a bar on a week night. This individual did not get the chance to hardly wet his whistle, but in this case too, there were other issues such as deficiences in academics and attitude problems that went into the pulling the scholarship decision.

I recall also a few athletes missing a game or two due to breaking team rules, and again the violations most likely involved alchohol. So if our athletes can get away with it, fine, but most of the time our coaching staff monitors off campus behaviour where ever they can. Incidents have happened, that I don't deny, but I believe with Coach Stig and staff, there is zero tolerance.

Former players of Coach Stig will attest that he has very high moral expecations of his student athletes.
        Somebody's expectations and team rules are more stringent than simply 'just don't get in big trouble with the law'? Run a fair and tight ship, and bad apples won't feel welcome for long. Congratulations, methinks. A few more posts, and my rep might be able to help make up for the misguided priorities of others.

*besides underage drinking, how does a kid go about getting into trouble in brookings???

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I talked to Riley.... this was his side of the story..... He was drinking with some 21 year olds and had a beer thrown at him, he went out into the alley to take it off with 3 other guys who were 21. A cop came up to him so he ran because he didn't want to get them into trouble. He said he knows that he screwed up but that HE WAS NOT NAKED.... The coach gives everybody one screw up and he knows that he has now used it. When I asked him about the argus he said I think its bs but the argus talked me up in football so I guess I have to live with them when these type of things happen.

Thats his side of the story..... The point about being naked just doesn't make sense. If he was naked he would of been charged for indecent exposure... And there is a difference between being naked and having your shirt off.
          I guess my main response is: I don't really care what his "side" of the story is. And I seriously doubt that Coach Ferentz has a "one screw up" policy, particularly considering the fact that in the previous 18 screw ups, many of those players were promptly relieved of their scholarships. Maybe Reilly shouldn't be so certain that he's "safe".

Does he regret embarrassing his family, the university, and its alumni, or is he just disappointed that he got caught?
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

This thread is like the Energizer Bunny...it just keeps going and going and going...please make it stop.

And yes, I know I could just ignore it, but it's like a train wreck. Every time I see it's been updated I have to check back to see how ugly it's getting.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

JJ, I realize you have probably had a much more negative experience with athletes getting away with murder from your days in Oklahoma, but wow! you are coming across a bit over the top on this. Did the kid screw up, yes. Should he be locked in a dark room in deep meditation to reflect on all the people he may or may not have affected all the way up to the alum that graduated in 1948? I don't think so.

He will pay his fine to the city and I'm sure that probably includes restitution to the restaurant, I'm sure his coach will have a bit of justice to deal out also. If his coach is a man of his word he also just had his last chance to prove himself.

Good or bad this kid is a hero in the locker room because, through his actions, he took the bullet for three other teammates
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                JJ, I realize you have probably had a much more negative experience with athletes getting away with murder from your days in Oklahoma, but wow! you are coming across a bit over the top on this. Did the kid screw up, yes. Should he be locked in a dark room in deep meditation to reflect on all the people he may or may not have affected all the way up to the alum that graduated in 1948? I don't think so.

He will pay his fine to the city and I'm sure that probably includes restitution to the restaurant, I'm sure his coach will have a bit of justice to deal out also. If his coach is a man of his word he also just had his last chance to prove himself.

Good or bad this kid is a hero in the locker room because, through his actions, he took the bullet for three other teammates
                Imagine that SDSU had, over the course of a little more than a year, had 18 football players arrested. Then imagine that yet another was arrested in an almost comically stupid scene that was reported far and wide, putting your beloved SDSU in the news for all the wrong reasons (my father-in-law read about Reiff in the Newark Star-Ledger). As an SDSU alum, how would you feel about a kid who had ignored the previous 18 arrests and the coach and administration's many warnings and concocted yet another way to embarass the university?

You'd have to conclude that either the kid was incredibly stupid or self-centered or both. And at some point you'd conclude that SDSU has to get the situation under control by taking serious steps to address the cultural problem that is somehow leading to the behavior.

If we were talking about SDSU I'm guessing that you might be reacting the same way I, as an Iowa alum, am reacting to this stupidity. Who needs it? Who needs kids who are so self-centered that their own underage drinking is more important to them than honorably representing the university that is paying their $15,000+ (maybe $20k at Iowa) per year educational costs?

Put yourself in the place of Iowa alums who are sick and tired of this baloney. If it was SDSU, I think there wouldn't be anybody here excusing this behavior (and I don't think you are one of those, eqguy.)

One of the reasons this bugs me so much is that Coach Ferentz is really a terrific person. I met him while I was at Iowa and came away impressed in the same way that I am impressed with Coach Stig. Like Coach Stig, Coach Ferentz cares about the players beyond their performance on the field and considers himself a teacher helping them become solid citizens.

That these kids, who have literally everything they need to succeed on and off the field, would betray him in this way, over and over, really irks me. If SDSU football players did that to Stig, I'd react in exactly the same way. I think many Iowa fans and alums take this very personally in part because they are fans of Coach Ferentz.
                Last edited by JimmyJack; 07-23-2008, 09:28 AM.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Fair enough.

Let me ask this. If Ferentz were truly a man of his word and of character would this have happened 18 times in the last year? You would think that harsher discipline would have come about. Its amazing how much winning and losing can play into a coaches morality, especially at that level. While I don't think the players shouldn't be accountable, at some point people have to question the level of discipline the players are held to.

What is the breaking point for, the coach is a terrific person?

P.S. I know Catchem is working at his thread killing job but there just isn't that much to chat about lately,so why not morality?
                  Last edited by EQguy; 07-23-2008, 10:23 AM. Reason: P.S
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                    Fair enough.

Let me ask this. If Ferentz were truly a man of his word and of character would this have happened 18 times in the last year? You would think that harsher discipline would have come about. Its amazing how much winning and losing can play into a coaches morality, especially at that level. While I don't think the players shouldn't be accountable, at some point people have to question the level of discipline the players are held to.

What is the breaking point for, the coach is a terrific person?

P.S. I know Catchem is working at his thread killing job but there just isn't that much to chat about lately,so why not morality?
                    Well... he's kicked 9 or 10 guys off the team. Of course it's not his style to publicly flog them or issue a press release stating they've been summarily dismissed, they just suddenly announce they're transferring or have been "released" from their scholarships... which suggests to me that he's trying to salvage a football life for them rather than make them radioactive. What else can he do?

I don't think Kirk Ferentz's character is at issue here. The guy took a complete disaster, left him by Hayden Fry (who forgot to recruit for like 8 years) and turned it into a respectable program on the field. Ferentz has earned a good bit of capital with most Iowa fans for moving Iowa from the bottom of the Big Ten to the top a couple times without any blue-chip recruits. Does that blue collar, effort-based, vanilla offense and defense, one play at a time thing sound at all familiar?

Easy to blame the coach. Coach Stig has said many times that the tone in his program is set by him and the staff, but it's the leadership of the upperclassmen in the locker room that makes it work in practice. Reiff was at Iowa for about 20 minutes and managed to screw up in a uniquely stupid and newsworthy way. But you're wondering what's wrong with Ferentz?
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Getting caught for underage drinking is one thing, fleeing Police Officers is quite another.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        Well... he's kicked 9 or 10 guys off the team. Of course it's not his style to publicly flog them or issue a press release stating they've been summarily dismissed, they just suddenly announce they're transferring or have been "released" from their scholarships... which suggests to me that he's trying to salvage a football life for them rather than make them radioactive. What else can he do?

I don't think Kirk Ferentz's character is at issue here. The guy took a complete disaster, left him by Hayden Fry (who forgot to recruit for like 8 years) and turned it into a respectable program on the field. Ferentz has earned a good bit of capital with most Iowa fans for moving Iowa from the bottom of the Big Ten to the top a couple times without any blue-chip recruits. Does that blue collar, effort-based, vanilla offense and defense, one play at a time thing sound at all familiar?

Easy to blame the coach. Coach Stig has said many times that the tone in his program is set by him and the staff, but it's the leadership of the upperclassmen in the locker room that makes it work in practice. Reiff was at Iowa for about 20 minutes and managed to screw up in a uniquely stupid and newsworthy way. But you're wondering what's wrong with Ferentz?
                        I don't disagree with what you're saying but there comes a point when you have to say that the players aren't getting the message or they just don't listen. Either way, this ends up at the feet of the head of the program.

I think Ferentz is in a pr death spiral right now and it's hard to see him coming out of it. With the player problems, a stagnant program three years running, and a huge salary, is alot of evidence for the court of public opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                          I think Ferentz is in a pr death spiral right now and it's hard to see him coming out of it. With the player problems, a stagnant program three years running, and a huge salary, is alot of evidence for the court of public opinion.
                          I can't argue with that.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

*besides underage drinking, how does a kid go about getting into trouble in brookings???[/QUOTE]

It seems like the only items people get in trouble for in Brookings is underage drinking and DUI.

Regarding Riley, nothing has been said about either the bar being fined for having an underage person or Riley being charged with being underage in a bar. I know Brookings has bars with underage people (everyone knows the old days of the Saf when you only had to buy a shot for the bouncer to get someone in) but I know the bars get busted every once in a while for it.

Maybe Riley has learned a lesson the hard way. I hope he has. I don't want to hear about SDSU having a string of problems with our student athletes being busted. Maybe our athletes have just been lucky and not caught. Maybe, maybe, maybe...

"Easy to blame the coach. Coach Stig has said many times that the tone in his program is set by him and the staff, but it's the leadership of the upperclassmen in the locker room that makes it work in practice" (quote by JimmyJack) Exactly. Maybe it is time for Riley's coaches to look at the upperclassmen who were with Riley at the bar. Where was the leadership of his teammates.
                            Last edited by bub94; 07-24-2008, 07:03 AM.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

The Hawk's problems of late are from taking questionable character kids (Reiff not included) that have a lot of talent....rolling the dice....and getting bit in the behind...similar as to Moss's journey to Marshall....the top teams get the good student athletes.....and teams rebuilding take chances...the Hawk's are just having some issues on these kids....IMO
                              Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                              Muhammad Ali

Comment

Former Iowa and NFL star Tim Dwight comments in the wake of the Reiff incident:

"You're like, what are you thinking? What is this doing for you? And why are you being selfish doing this where you're embarrassing the coaching staff, you're embarrassing the players and you're embarrassing the university?"

Full article, including news that Ferentz is adding a life skills teacher to his staff.

http://hawkcentral.press-citizen.com...807220336/1053
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X