X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reily Reiff

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    OK.... I know that there is no way too defend what he did but I will not defend what the argus did.... My point is this.... I know of 2 D-I athletes (SDSU and USD) that went to jail and got in trouble and they never were put on the front page of the paper.... Thats my point....

...... an athlete at SDSU was in jail for 48 hours serving time for 2 minors in a calander year...

...... an athlete at USD was arrested for false impersonation, fleeing from cops and minor in consumption...

My only point is that it happens.... It happens at USD it happens at SDSU (even with scholarship athletes) and I don't see them on the front page of the argus......
    But did they do a dumbass thing like Reilly and get drunk, get naked, run through a restaurant, run from police, refuse a breathalizer, and take eight cops to subdue? Idiotness is newsworthy in someway and sadly Reilly accomplished all that.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
      But did they do a dumbass thing like Reilly and get drunk, get naked, run through a restaurant, run from police, refuse a breathalizer, and take eight cops to subdue? Idiotness is newsworthy in someway and sadly Reilly accomplished all that.
      I don't think he was naked..... The only paper reporting that he was naked was the argus.... I heard that he had took his shirt off because alcohol had been spilled on it.... He was never charged with indecent exposure or anything so I think that part was false....

The USD guy did get drunk, refuse breathalizer, told them he was somebody else, then ran, and it took 5 cops to take him down but he is from USD so it explains a lot of it....

The point I am getting to is people come on here and say bad program, bad kid, but it happens at USD and SDSU... Maybe not the same story but similar ones.... I know Riley, he is a good kid, he is no angel and drinks more then his fair share (and a hell of a lot more then he should) but he is a good kid..... Same with the other 2 kids I was making examples of.... This wasn't no drug bust, or attempted murder or receiving gifts from boosters it was drinking and running from the cops.... Should he be doing it? No but nether should a lot of kids that do the same thing, they just don't get caught and if they do it doesn't make the front page of the biggest paper in the state...

Comment

Sorry Joe, the Argus isn't the only paper indicating he was taking his clothes off. Here's a link from the Chicago Trib.
        http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,1558187.story

Comment

The mods can lock this thread up and throw away the key as far as I am concern.

How about discussing John Grisham novels. Some of them have been made into movies, such as the Firm and Pelican Briefs. I just finished Painted House. A great story viewed through the wise eyes of a seven year old. I know John graduated from Mississippi State and not South Dakota State, a great writer IMOP. Surely there are more interesting things to discuss than Mr. Reilly Reiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            The mods can lock this thread up and throw away the key as far as I am concern.

How about discussing John Grisham novels. Some of them have been made into movies, such as the Firm and Pelican Briefs. I just finished Painted House. A great story viewed through the wise eyes of a seven year old. I know John graduated from Mississippi State and not South Dakota State, a great writer IMOP. Surely there are more interesting things to discuss than Mr. Reilly Reiff.
            I'm reading the latest John Sanford book Phantom Prey - good read as are all in the series.

Oh, and I'm embarrased to be a Hawkeye fan as of late, but could give two carps about how good of a kid this guy is or that others at USD and SDSU have not gotten publicity for their actions. Happens everywhere without getting reported. This guy, wrong place, wrong time, wrong actions and now he's paying consequences for it.

Lock 'er down chief!!
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Comment

Be careful, I got my rep dinged for going off topic.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  Be careful, I got my rep dinged for going off topic.
                  It's alright I get my rep dinged all the time.

Comment

Unfortunately for me, most of the time my rep is dinged OFF the board.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

My only point is that it happens.... It happens at USD it happens at SDSU (even with scholarship athletes) and I don't see them on the front page of the argus......
                      It has happened 17 (or 18) times recently at the University of Iowa. Thus, when it happens again, it's news. And when it's reported all across Iowa, Illinois (and every other Big Ten state) and it involves a kid from Parkston, it becomes news in South Dakota.

There's no magic formula for what makes one thing become newsworthy. Generally, news is a mix of both incident AND context. In this case:

News: Drunken, underage football player running from cops.
                      Context: Many similar incidents at the UI in the last year.
                      Additional context: He's from Parkston.

Your other examples aren't (apparently) part of any underlying trend at SDSU and USD. Even if it was a trend, how would we know? Iowa City has a real newspaper complete with real reporters who check the police reports daily looking for those kinds of things. The Brookings Register can barely manage to publish a paper each day. And do we need to talk about the Vermillion Plain Talk? Terry V. lives in Sioux Falls. He doesn't drive up and check the police report in Brookings every day.

So, your suggestion that his is some kind of personal vendetta against this kid on the part of the Argus Leader is just complete baloney. I'm sure you'd like it to be, since you seem determined to defend this behavior.

This UI graduate (Ph.D., 2000) thinks he should be kicked off the team immediately, with plenty of media attention so other players think a little more carefully about their behavior and how lucky they are to have Big Ten scholarships. Maybe he can play for the University of Sioux Falls or something.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Joe seems to imply that these Reily Reiff sort of things are going on at SDSU. I kind of doubt it. I know of one instance, and its been a few years back where a scholarship was pulled and in this instance, so I found out from others, the student athlete was caught in a bar on a week night. This individual did not get the chance to hardly wet his whistle, but in this case too, there were other issues such as deficiences in academics and attitude problems that went into the pulling the scholarship decision.

I recall also a few athletes missing a game or two due to breaking team rules, and again the violations most likely involved alchohol. So if our athletes can get away with it, fine, but most of the time our coaching staff monitors off campus behaviour where ever they can. Incidents have happened, that I don't deny, but I believe with Coach Stig and staff, there is zero tolerance.

Former players of Coach Stig will attest that he has very high moral expecations of his student athletes.

If they have reputations of being a party animal, its no doubt found out well before a letter of intent is offered for a signature. Maybe the staff at Iowa regrets it did not check this part of character out before making an offer Reily Reiff. JoeBoo claims to know him and he is party animal, and we should all ignore that minor problem. Come on, get real JoeBoo.

Btw, thanks for neg rep points I guess you woke me, I will participate.

Comment

Excellent post, JimmyJack. Good insight into what makes something like this news.

The Daily Iowan (U of I paper), The Des Moines Register and Cedar Rapids Gazette all ran their own, independent stories stating Reiff was without his clothing on / had some of his clothes off / taking his clothes off.

The story in the Argus, the Chicago Tribune and posted on a number of Iowa, SD and ND TV station websites came from the Associated Press. Compare these stories. The only difference is the Argus added background about the kid being a Gatorade POY and his HS stats.

So to imply the Argus is out to "get" the kid by being the only media outlet to indicate his state of dress or undress is a huge stretch.
                          "You trusted us"

Comment

OK.... I know that there is no way too defend what he did but I will not defend what the argus did.... My point is this.... I know of 2 D-I athletes (SDSU and USD) that went to jail and got in trouble and they never were put on the front page of the paper.... Thats my point....

...... an athlete at SDSU was in jail for 48 hours serving time for 2 minors in a calander year...

...... an athlete at USD was arrested for false impersonation, fleeing from cops and minor in consumption...

It does happen at times. Take any group of 100 college students and you are bound to have a few instances of minor consumptions et al. I can't speak to any specific instance, but if I remember correctly, Stig is pretty adamant about checking over the police log and if he saw anything it used to be an immediate $500 reduction in scholarship and usually meant picking up garbage around the field for a while after practice.

The problem with Riley's instance is the "nakedness" at whatever level and the running away and doing damage inside a restaurant. If Riley would have just stood up like a man and took his punishment we likely never would have never heard about it.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              From the news report, what Mr. Reiff did is indefensable. "Boys will be boys" will only go so far. What's in the news report is way beyond that line.

I'm tired of excusing or overlooking outrageous behavior from celebrities (and make no mistake, a college athlete is a celebrity.)

I reject arguments from apologists trying either the line "he's not a bad kid" or "well, everybody does it." It is apparent by his behavior that he is certainly not a "good kid." And I know for a stone cold fact that not everybody does it.

Actions have consequences in the real world. Some kids don't learn that soon enough. I sincerely hope that Mr. Reiff will learn it now, but making excuses of any kind for his behavior doesn't really help him in any way whatsoever.

I'm ok with forgiveness, but that requires contrition. I am skeptical that he'll learn the proper life lesson from this little incident. Perhaps spending the rest of his college career at some obscure NAIA school might be the appropriate lesson. Unfortunately, the most likely result will be a mild wrist slap and he'll go on, having learned little from this incident except "don't get caught." Or maybe he'll get his act together.

But normal people, of any age, don't run naked or half-naked through fast food restaurant kitchens. They just don't. And I refuse to accept any standard which allows it. Period.

/got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, obviously
                              I would give you rep if I could. (Dang that "spread it around rule!)
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I talked to Riley.... this was his side of the story..... He was drinking with some 21 year olds and had a beer thrown at him, he went out into the alley to take it off with 3 other guys who were 21. A cop came up to him so he ran because he didn't want to get them into trouble. He said he knows that he screwed up but that HE WAS NOT NAKED.... The coach gives everybody one screw up and he knows that he has now used it. When I asked him about the argus he said I think its bs but the argus talked me up in football so I guess I have to live with them when these type of things happen.

Thats his side of the story..... The point about being naked just doesn't make sense. If he was naked he would of been charged for indecent exposure... And there is a difference between being naked and having your shirt off.

Comment

Working...
                                X