Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: STU IS RIGHT THIS TIME

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    This couldn't be farther from the truth...
    Soccer would be much cheaper from an equipment point of view. That would go over good with school boards and administrators who are already dealing with tight budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      This couldn't be farther from the truth...
      Agreed. I love watching soccer. At least the EPL and Champions League, etc.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Why were they allowed to move football down to 9B while their basketball and volleyball programs remained Class A. They have the same issues there. Hamlin does not have enough girls in volleyball and basketball to have a "C" team. Just varsity and JV. Why not let them play volleyball and basketball in Class B.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
          Why were they allowed to move football down to 9B while their basketball and volleyball programs remained Class A. They have the same issues there. Hamlin does not have enough girls in volleyball and basketball to have a "C" team. Just varsity and JV. Why not let them play volleyball and basketball in Class B.
          I was wondering the same thing when I was looking at schedules today on the SDHSAA website. One would reason that if they have a low enough enrollment to play in the lowest football class that they would be able to play in the lowest classes in everything else.

That particular religion creates an interesting dynamic in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I was wondering the same thing when I was looking at schedules today on the SDHSAA website. One would reason that if they have a low enough enrollment to play in the lowest football class that they would be able to play in the lowest classes in everything else.

I had heard (rumor?) they were planning on petitioning down to class B in all sports. It was just that they started w/ football first. Not 100% sure why just football and not every sport. They were in class 9AA before this year.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

i believe when this all started it had to do with player safety as they would end up fielding an 11 man team with underclassman(side note UWM and both played as sophomores). In my opinion should only be able t petition down to 9-AA. Let me tell you a lot from that church would have made great athletes on the field. So as far as other sports probably not even looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                We are talking about Little Finland, aka Lake Norden. I was aware of the Apostolic Faith, which came from Finland and the distrust of State Religion, namely Lutheran and this distrust apparently applies to football coaches. This following does not have ordained clergy as I underdstand. They had good reason to take this position, but that's another topic in itself. It goes back to the 18th and 19th centuries.

I did not know they had that many students in high school.
                My Grandfather was an Old Apostolic, he left the church when he married a German Catholic. I played at Hamlin in the days when enrollment was 20-25% Apolstolic. They did not and still do not compete on school sanctioned teams as a rule. Its a unique situation that deserves special attention. That said, its tough for a guy that participated in back-to-back-to-back state 11B championships to accept that Hamlin is now 9-man program much less at the lowest class.

I don't like the current system and would prefer to see consolidation and three 11-man classes and two 9-man classes if feasible. I don't know the numbers in the vastly rural areas. My two cents.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  Agreed. I love watching soccer. At least the EPL and Champions League, etc.
                  Same. It's not on basketball's level for me with the beauty of it (personal bias), but it truly can be beautiful when done well.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                  X