Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STU IS RIGHT THIS TIME

Mild rant on high school football:

Stu Whitney's op-ed piece in the 10/19/13 Argus Leader about the football classification system in SD is, in my opinion, correct (It's a rare day I read Stu's writings, let alone agree with him) and worth the read. He points out the folly splitting the big-schools into two classes and notes the six-class system proposed by Bob Lowery (MS, SDSU 1977) of the SD High School Activities Association (just before Bob retired from the SDHSAA) is the way to go. Bob was right. Stu is right to remind us. The SDHSAA and the ESD schools (I'm from Watertown) which promoted the seven-class system screwed it up.

Stu hasn't departed from his pot-stirring but this time I agree with this particular pot. In the past, Stu has written stuff suggesting the Sioux Falls schools are on such a roll, they'll never be caught. In this particular piece, Stu correctly points out that things run in cycles: Sioux Falls schools went 25 years before winning a football state championship and there are signs clearly showing the cycles grinds on...Washington and O'Gorman have losing seasons right now.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

I am tired of people complaining about (although I like the following phrase because it captures the sentiment accurately) the "pussification of America" and "every kid getting a blue ribbon for participation"*. But, that's what happened when we split 11A into two classes. Some ESD schools including my home town sold that on the basis that those schools just could no longer compete with the Sioux Falls schools. That's when I decided to pay less attention to high school football.

*In an episode of "King of the Hill", the underachieving Bobby, son of Hank Hill, disappoints his father by refusing to go out for football and instead, goes out for soccer. Bobby runs home after his first practice and exclaims to Hank (who is totally mortified around his friends because Bobby didn't go out for football) "Dad, I'm one of eight co-captains!"

Re: STU IS RIGHT THIS TIME

This is a good discussion by Stu. Its messed up, with the seven classes. Nine man in particular, which now includes Webster, has gotten out of control. Love King of the Hill btw.

Comment

I dont think there are a lot of South Dakotans that agree with the 7 class system, including ESD people. Hopefully they can change this in a couple years.

Comment

Combine 11aa,a,b into 2 classes and combine all three 9 -man into two 9 man classes. As the population in SF keeps rising...the AAA class will make more sense and they will hopefully start playing the large Sioux City schools and maybe even one of the larger Minneapolis or Omaha schools. Nobody likes changes but it happens everyday.
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Interesting read. I always thought that SD's football classification was a little messed up (disclaimer - born and raised in MN, spent 10 years in undergrad and working in SD, live in the Twin Cities now). Is there really a lot of pride on the line when 3 schools from the same conference win state titles in the same year (as was pointed out in the article). How odd would that be t say "well, we couldn't win our conference, but we are state champs...but so are the two teams that beat us in our conference". Minnesota is far from perfect, but strides have been made. Up until last year there were five 11 man classes and one 9 man class, all with right around 64 teams. That changed where the top 32 schools in the state by enrollment make up a sixth 11 man class, with lower level teams having the right to petition up a class. Is there still some disparity...sure, there always will be. But its far from the mindset of everyone deserves a trophy mentality. Hopefully South Dakota's leaders can figure it out. Limit to 2 9 man classes, get the big school class and split the rest of the schools into two 11 man classes. Every kid who plays HS football wants to win a state title...but the reality is its just not going to happen for a vast majority...unless you live in SD today, then you have a pretty good chance.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

In an episode of "King of the Hill", the underachieving Bobby, son of Hank Hill, disappoints his father by refusing to go out for football and instead, goes out for soccer. Bobby runs home after his first practice and exclaims to Hank (who is totally mortified around his friends because Bobby didn't go out for football) "Dad, I'm one of eight co-captains!"

This was borrowed from JackJD initial post, but it proves the point, Bobby is one of eight co-captains. Some one behind me at one of the Jack Game mentioned that Webster who has played 11 man for a number of years in a competitive conference that included Milbank, Sisseton and a few other schools with enrollments between 150 to 250 dropped down to 9 man. Anyone know how they did this year?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

*In an episode of "King of the Hill", the underachieving Bobby, son of Hank Hill, disappoints his father by refusing to go out for football and instead, goes out for soccer. Bobby runs home after his first practice and exclaims to Hank (who is totally mortified around his friends because Bobby didn't go out for football) "Dad, I'm one of eight co-captains!"
              This says it all. Enrollements in out state SD are declining and I overheard someone behind mentioned that Webster had dropped down to 9 man ball. This is a shame as they have been 11 man for a number of years and competed with Milbank, and Sisseton.
              This is a shame when they have to drop to 9 man. I wonder how they did this year.

Comment

Got beat by 9B Hamlin by a TD Friday night. BTW...Hamlin had 7 turnovers...Webster is right where they should be IMO.
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                  Got beat by 9B Hamlin by a TD Friday night. BTW...Hamlin had 7 turnovers...Webster is right where they should be IMO.
                  Hamlin should not be in 9-B or nine man for that matter. My senior year of high school we were competing for the 11-A tiltle so you think the Webster drop is bad that us nothing.

Hamlin 1989-1999: 4 11-B titles, 1 Runner-up and 1 Runner-up in 11-A.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                    Hamlin should not be in 9-B or nine man for that matter. My senior year of high school we were competing for the 11-A tiltle so you think the Webster drop is bad that us nothing.

Hamlin 1989-1999: 4 11-B titles, 1 Runner-up and 1 Runner-up in 11-A.
                    Hamlin has some unique problems: student numbers are strong but a significant percentage of the students do not participate in athletics for religious reasons.

Comment

Hamlin has some unique problems: student numbers are strong but a significant percentage of the students do not participate in athletics for religious reasons.
                      I'm aware of the issues. If they are petitioned down it should only be to 9-AA. I did look at their roster and they are lacking numbers, but to be a 9-b squad is not right. This has been an issue long before they went nine man.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        Combine 11aa,a,b into 2 classes and combine all three 9 -man into two 9 man classes. As the population in SF keeps rising...the AAA class will make more sense and they will hopefully start playing the large Sioux City schools and maybe even one of the larger Minneapolis or Omaha schools. Nobody likes changes but it happens everyday.
                        Sioux City Schools would be for this, shorter drive than Des Moines,Ames,Fort Dodge etc... Those Schools would like it even more.

Comment

http://doe.sd.gov/ofm/fallenroll.aspx

A link to fall enrollment numbers for those of you are curious like myself. Please note that most up to date numbers are from 2012.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Why? I'm unfamiliar with this.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                              Why? I'm unfamiliar with this.
                              A certain religion (Apostolic Lutheran Church) doesn't believe in high school sports, amongst other things (eg. Televisions).

Comment

Working...
                              X