USD Learfield Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Learfield Deal

When it comes to USD I don't think they have to choose whether they should go after Sioux City or Sioux Falls because they should go after both very strongly but they have Sioux City as an option that SDSU doesn't really have. Generally SDSU's fan interest is probably double what USD's is. SDSU deserves a better deal at this point IMO. USD does have some upside but as of right now SDSU has more casual fans to the program, has definately has more hard core fans as well.

One thing I will say is that USD doesn't do a good enough job at catering to all their fans. They need to make all fans feel welcomed when coming to the dome not just the select few. USD also can't afford to not pick and choose where there fans come from. They need to explore all realistic avenues to get people through the doors.

USD has a tendency to not focus on all tasks necessary to be an excellent overall athletic program which is something that will need to change for success. They have a bad radio deal with a very subpar radio presentation. No matter what they say B 102.7 is not dedicated to provided USD with a quality broadcast and/or additional radio coverage. The fan interest is simply not that strong right now and the movement to try to get more people to the games just doesn't seem real apparent. David Sayler has been good for USD and has done some good things but now is definately not the time to rest. The marketing needs to and likely will get better. Also it seems as if the lower profile sports still tend to be allowed to flounder too much with much really expected of those types of programs such as soccer, golf, etc. SDSU tends to do much better than USD in the lower profile sports.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      The Learfield deal for both schools is awesome. It provides much greater revenue than before, plus you now have the marketing expertise of a company extremely knowledgable in the business they are in. I also have to believe it will result in both schools, especially in basketball, being able to play D-1 BCS schools that have Learfield contracts.
      I think that pretty much sums it up. Different situations. Different dollar amounts. Bottom line, both departments will be able to do a lot of things they couldn't do before.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        Are you always so bitter and condescending? I believe that you are an impassioned fan, I have no doubt about that. And I know that anytime I post on here, you are one of the first to attack me. It's your board, and I am a big boy, so have at it.

But in trying to destroy the credibility Yote 53 and I have, all you do is insinuate. The one man on here I have a great deal of respect for is JackJD. Maybe we both should write a check to him to hold, say for $1000 each, and if I produce evidence from my so called questionable source that what I posted is accurate, then the check you wrote goes to USD athletics, and I get my check back (because I am already a booster and give annually). If I can't produce evidence to the fact, then my check goes to SDSU's athletic department, and you get yours back.

Oh stop...just answer the question...do you think that the person you spoke to that's associated with Learfield was "maybe" telling you what you wanted to hear??

BTW...if you are so easily offended by an SDSU fan questioning information that a USD fan presents on this subject on and SDSU fanboard, that's a "you" problem.

As far as the bet...if you want me to admit you're right...just produce the evidence...won't take a $1000 bet/donation. I have no problem whatsoever admitting you're right, considering it doesn't matter to me who got the "better" deal. But I'm not just going to sit back and let someone spout off "hearsay" as "fact" without calling them out for proof. Fairly sure if I was on your board stating the same "facts" you'd do the same...heck, I'd expect it.

Go Jacks!!
        Last edited by propar80; 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM.
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I think the answer is to put yoteforever and Propar80 in those sumo suits at halftime of the USD/SDSU basketball game next winter and have them wrestle for the cash. I might pay a little to see it.

My money is on Propar80. He's pretty crafty! Looks good in a singlet!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The quickest and easiest way for USD to gain fans in Sioux City... WIN.

Same thing for State to gain fans in W. Minnesota. WIN.

I think these deals can only help both institutions.

arguing for the sake of arguing makes my head hurt.

My question is.... will this have any influence on getting a Television deal done?

Two SD schools, in the same conference, with the same marketing firm... We should be able to wrangle up a "Summit Leage" game of the week or something shouldn't we?
            For BB?
            And MVFC game of the week for FB?

I don'treally want to share a "broadcast team" with USD, but we gotta start somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              I think the answer is to put yoteforever and Propar80 in those sumo suits at halftime of the USD/SDSU basketball game next winter and have them wrestle for the cash. I might pay a little to see it.

My money is on Propar80. He's pretty crafty! Looks good in a singlet!

SUPERBUNNY

I know that picture is still floating out there somewhere. I was much younger then and would look even worse today in that singlet!! Hopefully I have the sense to do a little "manscaping" before I put that thing on next time!!

I'm just busting yoteforever's chops...I'm sure he's a good guy and have probably even met him. But on the other hand, I do come from a long line of "wirey" wrestlers!!

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Are the Learfield contracts public information? If so, someone could look them up.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

This debate is pointless, both deals are good.

How about both alumni bases put their resources together and organize a grassroots effort to stop the bleeding related to state funding cuts. It's far more important then debating whose deal with Learfield is better. We need to start supporting legislators that understand the importance of education and higher education.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Over on USD's board a post relating to the alleged debt service and the poster was speculating that this debt service might relate to how SDSU and USD handled their deals with Daktronics and the new score boards. The poster went on to say that SDSU purchased their score board and USD leased their score board from Daktronics.

I can not find any threads relating to this topic, but I do recall a loan being made by the SDSU Foundation to the SDSU athletic department in order to purchase the score board directly from Daktronics. In handling the transaction in this manner, it gave SDSU full rights to all the advertizing and lead to many of the current corporate sponors that were not there before. If there are any remaining payments left on this note, then I could see Learfield wanting to pay off the foundation in order to start the full advertizing with out having to deal with/through the foundation. I believe with USD, Daktronics does some of their marketing in order for them to pay for their use of the scoreboard. I may be wrong on many points here but would appreciate it if some one with more knowledge and recall can set me straight on the speculation, please do.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      This debate is pointless, both deals are good.
                      I gave rep for this . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                      X