Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Learfield Deal

http://www.keloland.com/sports/newsd....cfm?Id=113911

Why didn't they disclose their numbers? I bet they are wayyyyyy below SDSU's!!

Re: USD Learfield Deal

Originally posted by jaysalum1 View Post
    http://www.keloland.com/sports/newsd....cfm?Id=113911

Why didn't they disclose their numbers? I bet they are wayyyyyy below SDSU's!!
    If they are anywhere close to SDSU's, something is wrong. USD is a smaller University, fewer sports and still in transition.

Comment

According to Jeremy Hoeck's tweet it is a 10 year 10 Million dollar deal beginning in 2011-12. Should be an article in the P&D tomorrow..

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
        According to Jeremy Hoeck's tweet it is a 10 year 10 Million dollar deal beginning in 2011-12. Should be an article in the P&D tomorrow..
        what was SDSU's again?

Comment

10 year, $13 Million

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            If they are anywhere close to SDSU's, something is wrong. USD is a smaller University, fewer sports and still in transition.
            But they do have the same amount of revenue sports.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
              Too bad their gate is nowhere near SDSU's.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                good point

Comment

http://yankton.net/articles/2011/04/...f514697617.txt

Comment

I had heard a while back that they are actually similar deals for the schools. SDSU's $13 million figure includes debt servicing that Learfield assumed from SDSU.

Comment

Excellent move for USD, not unexpected but good for them to have it finalized and in place.

I'd say the similarity in contracts is largely due to the fact that both SDSU and USD have virtually identical target markets--that being the state of SD and immediately adjacent sections of neighboring states.

From the outside looking in, the two schools look very, very similar, although I would guess if you dig into the attendance and marketing numbers SDSU probably looks like it has a somewhat larger share of that market--which may account for the somewhat larger contract.

But this is full of win for USD.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't think we have to try to compare deals a whole lot. It sounds like both schools did well for themselves and if both schools have Learfield vs both schools not having Learfield it's a win for D1 Sports in South Dakota. Look how far both schools have come to be able to get a marketing firm in place of this magnitude. Accoring to Yote 53 on the USD board USD may have actually been negotiating longer than SDSU with Learfield but SDSU got the jump in announcing the partnership. By all fairness SDSU may have deserved a bit better deal considering their attendance and fan interest is ahead of USD. On the otherhand I also believe that USD has a tremendous upside and lies in a slightly better geograpic area having the Sioux City market to draw a little bit of interest from. Brookings is bigger than Vermillion but I think that USD has a larger 60 mile radius of population than Brookings does so that evens things out a bit.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                          I don't think we have to try to compare deals a whole lot. It sounds like both schools did well for themselves and if both schools have Learfield vs both schools not having Learfield it's a win for D1 Sports in South Dakota. Look how far both schools have come to be able to get a marketing firm in place of this magnitude. Accoring to Yote 53 on the USD board USD may have actually been negotiating longer than SDSU with Learfield but SDSU got the jump in announcing the partnership. By all fairness SDSU may have deserved a bit better deal considering their attendance and fan interest is ahead of USD. On the otherhand I also believe that USD has a tremendous upside and lies in a slightly better geograpic area having the Sioux City market to draw a little bit of interest from. Brookings is bigger than Vermillion but I think that USD has a larger 60 mile radius of population than Brookings does so that evens things out a bit.
                          It's going to be tough to get much out of that Sioux City market,as they have strong ties to both the Hawkeyes and Huskers.

Comment

It isn't just according to me, the article in the AL stated that Herbster had started this process with Learfield 3 years ago when we started our transition.

I agree it is good for both schools and for sports in South Dakota.

The Sioux City market is ripe as there are plenty of USD grads there and across NW Iowa. UNI (also with Learfield) gets good run in Sioux City and I believe USD could push them out and become the FCS school for Sioux City. A good local option. Iowa, Nebraska, and to a lesser extent Iowa St will always get good run in Sioux City, but those towns are far away and tickets can be hard to come by. Throw in the hotel and food costs and it gets expensive to go to one of their games. I know, I go to Kinnick once a year. USD is a quality, affordable, local option to those schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                              It isn't just according to me, the article in the AL stated that Herbster had started this process with Learfield 3 years ago when we started our transition.

I agree it is good for both schools and for sports in South Dakota.

The Sioux City market is ripe as there are plenty of USD grads there and across NW Iowa. UNI (also with Learfield) gets good run in Sioux City and I believe USD could push them out and become the FCS school for Sioux City. A good local option. Iowa, Nebraska, and to a lesser extent Iowa St will always get good run in Sioux City, but those towns are far away and tickets can be hard to come by. Throw in the hotel and food costs and it gets expensive to go to one of their games. I know, I go to Kinnick once a year. USD is a quality, affordable, local option to those schools.
                              Good luck on that - even in Sioux Falls,I see people in Hawkeye and Husker gear way more than USD colors. Even here in SW Minn.,the local sporting goods store carries and sells a lot of Hawkeye stuff.
                              Last edited by bigticket1; 04-19-2011, 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X