DWU Now 5-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWU Now 5-2

Mercifully, the DWU game thread was closed, but I see by the Argus DWU held off USF, who I assume is one of the better GPAC teams. I dont follow NAIA at all, but thought maybe some thing could be said about DWU progess. Maybe our showing against them was not all that bad.

Here is the link:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...39/1002/SPORTS

Re: DWU Now 5-2

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Mercifully, the DWU game thread was closed, but I see by the Argus DWU held off USF, who I assume is one of the better GPAC teams. I dont follow NAIA at all, but thought maybe some thing could be said about DWU progess. Maybe our showing against them was not all that bad.

Here is the link:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...39/1002/SPORTS
    I don't care if the win the NAIA, WWF or NWA title. They shouldn't compete with us. Thats my expectation and I'd ask others to expect the same. Whats done is done and lets not repeat it.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Gee I am sorry I started this thread. I just thought it would be of interest, but I guess I was wrong, we seemed to have grown in sophistication even though we have not had a winning season in how many years?

Comment

Gee I am sorry I started this thread. I just thought it would be of interest, but I guess I was wrong, we seemed to have grown in sophistication even though we have not had a winning season in how many years?
        Thanks for posting this. It is enjoyable following how the SDSU opponents do. It many ways it can tell you alot about your team.

Comment

I wasn't being critical of what you posted, I was voicing my opinion about expectations for our program. As for the level of sophistication, I'm not going to improve that.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I wasn't being critical of what you posted, I was voicing my opinion about expectations for our program. As for the level of sophistication, I'm not going to improve that.
            Sorry Doc, I was not sure what you meant, but I think I seen the movie Hoosiers once to many times. I keep thinking that a good coach can take a team at a lower lever and beat teams at a higher level if he knows the game good and can built a unit of 10 to 15 individuals into a team. The Coach Norman Dale from the movie Hoosiers is a very real person in my mind and there a bunch of them in real life.

I know USD is not a popular topic on this board, but Dave Boots has done a better than average coaching job over the almost 20 years that he has been there. In the process he has produced some good players who later have been come good coaches, John Hemingway and Shane Murphy come to mind. The USF and DWU show down was a match between these two coaches. To see Hemingway come out ahead of Murphy was of interest too me. It suggests he is a very good coach The closeness of the SDSU-DWU might be attributed to Hemingways coaching as much as it can be contributed to our poor playing performance. Possibly its a comination of both.

I think even if Nagy had shown everything he has on his offensive planning board, SDSU might still have not been able to put a margin in score. DWU had no height, but they sure made up for it in heart, IMO and the kid from Castlewood Waldner, I been told is a very good basketball player as is Fitzgerald from Dell Rapids. Puts some good coaching behind these two and the rest of the squad and you should be 5-2 at this point in time.

Comment

I personally have no problem getting updated on how other SD colleges are doing . . . in fact, I'm mildly interested in reading reports here, especially if the Jacks have played them, exhibition or not. It's not as if I'm going to go too far out of my way on the Internet to research how DWU (or USD) is doing. Life's too short for that.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I don't care if the win the NAIA, WWF or NWA title. They shouldn't compete with us. Thats my expectation and I'd ask others to expect the same. Whats done is done and lets not repeat it.
                Keep posting I just like to see Sioux Falls College lose at something.

Comment

...The Coach Norman Dale from the movie Hoosiers is a very real person in my mind and there a bunch of them in real life.
                  Here's a link to the "real" Hoosiers team, the 1954 Indiana State champs from tiny Milan, Indiana, the team on which the Hoosiers movie is based. Milan's sharpshooter, Bobby Plump, is an interesting subject too...Google that name...a bigger-than-life figure in Indiana sports history.
                  http://www.sportshollywood.com/hoosiers.html

Back to the topic, I too enjoy following all of the colleges and universities in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Here's a link to the "real" Hoosiers team, the 1954 Indiana State champs from tiny Milan, Indiana, the team on which the Hoosiers movie is based. Milan's sharpshooter, Bobby Plump, is an interesting subject too...Google that name...a bigger-than-life figure in Indiana sports history.
                    http://www.sportshollywood.com/hoosiers.html

Back to the topic, I too enjoy following all of the colleges and universities in the state.
                    Great website and great reading. So Dennis Hoppers character never existed as it says the two real assistants at Milan were not drunks. I found that part of the movie a little weak in that it did not seem reasonable for Dennis's character to recover in a matter of days, where as in real life, drying out and recovery takes from weeks to months to years. None the less Hopper is a pro and added life to a weak script. Now I am off track. Cant add any more at this time except I do think the movie did show that there are Marvin Woods out there just as there are Scott Nagy's who know how to coach.

Comment

Sorry Doc, I was not sure what you meant, but I think I seen the movie Hoosiers once to many times. I keep thinking that a good coach can take a team at a lower lever and beat teams at a higher level if he knows the game good and can built a unit of 10 to 15 individuals into a team. The Coach Norman Dale from the movie Hoosiers is a very real person in my mind and there a bunch of them in real life.

I know USD is not a popular topic on this board, but Dave Boots has done a better than average coaching job over the almost 20 years that he has been there. In the process he has produced some good players who later have been come good coaches, John Hemingway and Shane Murphy come to mind. The USF and DWU show down was a match between these two coaches. To see Hemingway come out ahead of Murphy was of interest too me. It suggests he is a very good coach The closeness of the SDSU-DWU might be attributed to Hemingways coaching as much as it can be contributed to our poor playing performance. Possibly its a comination of both.

I think even if Nagy had shown everything he has on his offensive planning board, SDSU might still have not been able to put a margin in score. DWU had no height, but they sure made up for it in heart, IMO and the kid from Castlewood Waldner, I been told is a very good basketball player as is Fitzgerald from Dell Rapids. Puts some good coaching behind these two and the rest of the squad and you should be 5-2 at this point in time.
                      Yes, Waldner is a very good basketball player, and Colby Fitzgerald is pretty decent too, but it's too bad the fans at Frost Arena didn't get to see DWU's best player, Preston Broughton from Corsica. If you were at the DWU vs. S.F. game, you know what I am talking about. Preston had a baseline dunk that would make a great highlight for any fan of hoops. DWU has already surprised me this year, as I thought they might struggle to find an identity after losing Brock Seim. However, Coach Hemenway has them playing quite well, and I think Colby and Chase Waldner are still learning Hemenway's system . . . (and how to play some defense!!!)

Comment

Reveroo:

Did not USF lose some of its better players to graduation? I was thinking that this score might have been due to the rebuilding at USF, but maybe not if there is a Corsica flash that we never saw at Frost.

Comment

IPFW used to schedule Huntington University (NAIA) and would lose to them and that was when IPFW had NBA prospect David Simon. Is there a big drop-off from D1 all the way down to NAIA? I know I will get ripped for posting this because of some people with egos just have to show their place in command and make comments like "oh that's over with, get over it" or something like that.

I think that when DWU hung tough with SDSU it showed that DWU is a legit team, yet there were excuses of not running plays, etc. When there is ten players on the floor, it doesn't matter if it's exhibition or not, if you love the game of basketball you should be hustling up and down the floor and trying to win even in practice.

You see some instances where a D1 player transfers to a NAIA thinking he is going to be the star just because he played D1, but is brought to reality when he realizes he actually has to compete for playing time. NAIA can compete. The only difference between NAIA and NCAA D1 is the scholarships and facilities, other than that you tell me.

I think cadsev touched on that a little bit, you can't expect that competitive nature to just show up against the better teams, you have to practice it and that's what exhibition games are for. I'm happy to see that DWU is 5-2, thanks for starting this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                            The only difference between NAIA and NCAA D1 is the scholarships and facilities, other than that you tell me.
                            There are many differences between NAIA schools and NCAA schools. One big one is that NAIA schools don't have any recruiting rules and can call and visit recruits as much as they want. They can also make contact with recruits at any time, at any place. Also, student-athletes at NAIA schools are not held to the academic standards NCAA athletes are.

Comment

I think the refutation to SDHoops' argument is that whenever an NAIA school even comes close to beating a D-I school, it's news. Man bites dog.

The dozens of D-I school blowouts of NAIA schools aren't news. That's the expected result. Dog bites man.

I'm not sure what impulse causes otherwise rational people to somehow conclude from the occasional close game or win that the average NAIA athlete (or D-II athletes) has equal athletic ability to the average D-I athlete, or even to seriously entertain the argument.

The results, in aggregate, argue strongly against that conclusion.

Which doesn't mean that an NAIA team with superior motiviation won't occasionally knock off a D-I team. When that happens, we all notice, because it's unusual.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X