POST defeats U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POST defeats U

I know this smack thread, but I do have to come to Boots defense. Heard him talking about this and he said they tried man for a little, but had to abandon it because it was less effective than the zone.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      I know this smack thread, but I do have to come to Boots defense. Heard him talking about this and he said they tried man for a little, but had to abandon it because it was less effective than the zone.
      Less effective than zone? Then they're in trouble. Man-to-man defense is the kind of thing you need to work on all the time to be good at it. You can't just "go to it" now and then and expect your zone team to be good at it.

And the issue here is: USD is primarily a zone team. That's going to be a problem for them.
      Last edited by JimmyJack; 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
        Umm isn't Wisconsin known for their defense??
        Captain Obvious! They play great defense!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
          Captain Obvious! They play great defense!
          Then, Captain Confused, why did you post this?:

Wisconsin is not known for their defense!
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
            Then, Captain Confused, why did you post this?:

Wisconsin is not known for their defense!
            Yikes. Its like that episode of Dave Chappell when he is playing Rick James.

"I got more sense than to put my feet up on somebody's couch..."
            [3 second pause]
            "Yeah I remember putting my feet up on Eddie's couch."

Makes no sense but it provides some good entertainment!
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Overheard on a recruiting visit:

Dave Boots: If you come to USD you can shoot as much as you want.

Recruit: What about defense?

Dave Boots: We play kind of a sort of a match-up like zone where you guard a guy if he is near you but mostly you just wait for the other team to make a shot so you can get the ball back and shoot some more.

Recruit: Does that really work?

Dave Boots: Against most of the teams we play it does. Just check out our regular season out-of-conference record the last few years.

Recruit: Are you serious?

Dave Boots: Just come and see one of our regular season out of conference games and you will see it works great.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Overheard on a recruiting visit:

Dave Boots: If you come to USD you can shoot as much as you want.

Recruit: What about defense?

Dave Boots: We play kind of a sort of a match-up like zone where you guard a guy if he is near you but mostly you just wait for the other team to make a shot so you can get the ball back and shoot some more.

Recruit: Does that really work?

Dave Boots: Against most of the teams we play it does. Just check out our regular season out-of-conference record the last few years.

Recruit: Are you serious?

Dave Boots: Just come and see one of our regular season out of conference games and you will see it works great.
                Would somebody rep MD for me? I have to spread it around before I can send him any more. That's just good stuff.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

USD still sucks.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

And they're terrible at athletics, too.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Less effective than zone? Then they're in trouble. Man-to-man defense is the kind of thing you need to work on all the time to be good at it. You can't just "go to it" now and then and expect your zone team to be good at it.

And the issue here is: USD is primarily a zone team. That's going to be a problem for them.
                      I think against ND it was watch them shoot threes against the zone or watch them dunk against man. Percentages are with you on watching them shoot threes, but maybe not that night.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X