POST defeats U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POST defeats U

Goon can just call it "The Todd" like the in-denial gay surgeon from Scrubs:

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      If any body watched Duke beat Purdue last night, thats a good example of man and help D if you ask me. I know not everyone loves Duke but i sure do. Coach K from doing team USA stuff with Bohiem(sp) has used an occasional Zone to help out if duke is mismatched. And they would use it and Change back and forth contsnantly so other teams really had no idea which D they were facing. Coach K is one of the winningest coaches in history yet he is still constantly changing his Off and Def sets to get his team an advantage and make it difficult for other teams knowing Duke isnt set in its set ways every year. Thats why im glad to hear Nagy making adjustments that he thinks are needed. Boots will have to see that too otherwise he is going to have a few 20 lose seasons coming his way shortly. I really feel the Defense we play at STATE is better now then it was the last 5 years even if the quaility of the players is still about the same. Effort on D is what is critical at D-1. you cant playin oklahoma football thinking that we will just play to out score um and forget the D. It doesnt work that way anymore. Too many other good athletes that can put points on the board just as easily as an USD player yet their D effort and coaching strategies im sure are completely different.
      The way Duke and Purdue played is a great example of how to play the game incredibly HARD! Those two teams went at it. If SDSU can learn to give that much effort we will win more than we lose.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

nice, gave me a good chuckle

Comment

Freind of yours JimmyJack!

btw, Wisconsin and Virginia Tech went 23 of 34 from 3-pt land the other night! Wisconsin is not known for their defense!

Also, Iverson looked really good for the gophers.

And Jimmy Jack, there are not many 6'6 guards in Divsion 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            The ability to state an argument in a clear, concise manner. You don't possess that talent!
            That is for sure, Good thing i never claimed i did. I tend to ramble and not use proper puncuations. When the A.D.D kicks in, i can sure wonder my thoughts all over the place.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              If USeD is looking for a new coach, I nominate goon. Then he can impliment the 2-2-Todd defense.
              As much fun as i think it would be, I think 2-2 Todd is always going to be just a Y league kinda gimick. It was a stupid story to share, not that i thought it would be an effective D. Well maybe for Udot it could be. Plus it was called 2-2-Todd cuz it was well, his name. If you don't have a todd it really would not be effective. Maybe someone could tryin in their old man city league stuff.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

NOTE: Zones don't work for long in D1. Some teams use them in stretches. Few teams use them as much as USD. There are just too many good shooters out there. I predict the Coyotes will see an awful lot of threes this year... at least in their four or five D1 games.

Better to man up and make teams work for points than to let them rain in threes over your zone defense for the entire game.

By the way, get used to being the smaller, less athletic team. At this level, you have to find a way to win anyway. Maybe now you are beginning to understand why the jump from D2 to D1 in men's basketball is the biggest change in transition.

I didn't ever not understand that. Of course mens basketball is going to be a challenge but basketbal and football are a complete different animal. Football obviously just has FCS teams that are in direct competition. In all other sports the entire nation is the competition. But just because SDSU has struggled as much as they have doesn't mean that USD will struggle quite so badly. That remains to be seen. Look at NDSU, they have had moderate success in mens basketball in D1 which is still much more than what SDSU has experienced. NDSU took a definate back seat to both USD and SDSU over the last couple of decades in mens basketball in the NCC. I do agree that it's a different ball game in D1 in mens basketball. Just look at D2 as an example. In football the NCC was a good national conference. In Women's basketball the NCC was a great national conference. In Mens Basketball the NCC was at best a mediocre national conference and the results from the NCC in recent regionals and for a long time in elite 8's bare that out. If the NCC was mediocre in D2 those types of programs would most likely struggle mightily in D1.

Whichever argument you make I am ok with it but be consistant with it as well. If you want to say that USD Womens Basketball or Football won't be as successfull as what SDSU has accomplished than wouldn't it also be fair to say that USD won't necessarily follow the same path as SDSU is mens ball either. It's very difficult to say what will happen with USD. So far the football team has done about what was expected of them. They weren't great but certainly didn't embarrass themselves either this year. Basketball is not off to a great start but that has as much to do with the lack of momentum coming into D1 as much as anything, at least at this point of the transition. Women's basketball is a work in progress with most of the players either gone or redshirted and a new coach. I tend to believe that Ryun Williams will have the Yotes competitive either next year or the year after. I think one thing that will be the same compared to SDSU is that in the first 5 years of transition the USD womens basketball team will be looked up as the most successfull of the big 3. The roots they came from are the richest, meaning the competitiveness of the NCC.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                  I didn't ever not understand that.
                  Que? Do you know what clear and concise means? I thought so. Little long winded for my taste so this first line is all the further I got and was all that I needed to read.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                    Well, that's exactly my point. Keep up with me now, junior. Syracuse goes 6'4", 6'4" and 6'5" at the guard position (along with a bunch of really, really athletic 3's who run 6'7" and 6'8"). That kind of size and athleticism outside is unusual. USD doesn't have that kind of size and athletic ability anywhere, much less at the guard position to protect the perimeter when they play zone. Hardly anybody does. Some teams play zone in short stretches, but other than Syracuse and USD, it's almost nobody's base defense.

Until USD gets those kinds of players (cough, never, cough) zone will be a loser for USD. They'll get eaten up by good three-point shooters.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Well, that's exactly my point. Keep up with me now, junior. Syracuse goes 6'4", 6'4" and 6'5" at the guard position (along with a bunch of really, really athletic 3's who run 6'7" and 6'8"). That kind of size and athleticism outside is unusual. USD doesn't have that kind of size and athletic ability anywhere, much less at the guard position to protect the perimeter when they play zone. Hardly anybody does. Some teams play zone in short stretches, but other than Syracuse and USD, it's almost nobody's base defense.

Until USD gets those kinds of players (cough, never, cough) zone will be a loser for USD. They'll get eaten up by good three-point shooters.
                      Even Syracuse had to abandon the zone in two of their tough wins this year. Can't remember who thy beat on ESPN last week, but they had to switch to man at the end of the game to get back in it and eventually pull out the W.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                        Freind of yours JimmyJack!

btw, Wisconsin and Virginia Tech went 23 of 34 from 3-pt land the other night! Wisconsin is not known for their defense!

Also, Iverson looked really good for the gophers.

Umm isn't Wisconsin known for their defense??

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                          Even Syracuse had to abandon the zone in two of their tough wins this year. Can't remember who thy beat on ESPN last week, but they had to switch to man at the end of the game to get back in it and eventually pull out the W.
                          They beat KU in Kansas City.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

In D-I basketball you use the zone for a few reasons.... either you are trying to get a spark and go into a match up high intensity zone, or you are trying to steal minutes (something Nagy does from time to time because of lack of depth, I remember Roy Williams doing it his 1st couple of years because other then May there wasn't any big guys).... Other then that if you are zoning you are either known for your zone like a syracuse or a florida... or you just aren't that good....

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                              Umm isn't Wisconsin known for their defense??

i thought the same thing. i think wisconsin has been know for their defense.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                In D-I basketball you use the zone for a few reasons.... either you are trying to get a spark and go into a match up high intensity zone, or you are trying to steal minutes (something Nagy does from time to time because of lack of depth, I remember Roy Williams doing it his 1st couple of years because other then May there wasn't any big guys).... Other then that if you are zoning you are either known for your zone like a syracuse or a florida... or you just aren't that good....
                                Or, if you're Dave Boots, you just play zone... and then your fans are shocked when somebody hits about a billion threes against you.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X