Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoffs

I already typed waayyy too much on my opinions about attracting fan support (see the smack thread about Coach Nagy) so I'll not bore people further with repeating.

I don't want to risk having a casual sports fan have a great time watching an SDSU football game at Augie's stadium and then next season going back to that same stadium to watch Augie play a game based on their recollection of the fun they had this year. Since CAS won't be available, I'm all for playing at Howard Wood. If Howard Wood isn't available, I don't want to play anywhere else in Sioux Falls. Heck, drive to Watertown and play in our stadium. Its a nice natural-turf field and the stadium can hold more than 5,000 and that's easily expandable by bringing in some temporary seating.

Like you, Jackedforlife, I've applauded Augie's success in basketball and their resurgence in football. I just don't want to give them a handup if there's any risk that SDSU could lose a potential new fan. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I already typed waayyy too much on my opinions about attracting fan support (see the smack thread about Coach Nagy) so I'll not bore people further with repeating.

I don't want to risk having a casual sports fan have a great time watching an SDSU football game at Augie's stadium and then next season going back to that same stadium to watch Augie play a game based on their recollection of the fun they had this year. Since CAS won't be available, I'm all for playing at Howard Wood. If Howard Wood isn't available, I don't want to play anywhere else in Sioux Falls. Heck, drive to Watertown and play in our stadium. We can hold more than 5,000 and that's easily expandable by bringing in some temporary seating.

Like you, Jackedforlife, I've applauded Augie's success in basketball and their resurgence in football. I just don't want to give them a handup if there's any risk that SDSU could lose a potential new fan. Just my two cents worth.

Much like trying to get a bill passed in Washington, I think we agree on 90% of the content. It's the sticky part of your concern of losing a casual fan and my flippant attitude that they won't choose RC cola over Coke. Thankfully we don't have to play this out.

First and foremost, let's make the playoffs. Then worry about hosting a game. I think my only concern would be that Augie USF and SDSU could host games in SXF on the same day.

Comment

I suppose this is a dumb question but why not use the new part of the stadium. It must seat clise to 10000?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
          I suppose this is a dumb question but why not use the new part of the stadium. It must seat clise to 10000?
          Because tearing down the main grandstand involves driving heavy equipment on the field. And because the field is going to be dug up.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Because tearing down the main grandstand involves driving heavy equipment on the field. And because the field is going to be dug up.

The smart alec in me wants to say it couldn't be any worse. But I'll refrain.....

Comment

USD/Jeremy Hoeck seems to think that a team with six wins (USD) might get in.....

http://www.yankton.net/sports/articl...02e21af06.html

I think that finishing with seven wins (4-4 MVFC) would leave us behind at least three MVFC teams (including UNI). We could also possibly end up below USD/WIU in that scenario and obviously sitting at home during the playoffs.

NDSU could definitely take another loss, but I certainly don't see two happening. ISU-R is more likely to lose two, so they are not completely out of reach if we get a win Saturday. I think that UNI is headed for a 5-3 MVFC finish. WIU will probably end up 4-4. ISU-B and YSU have a chance to finish with the 4-4 crowd, so it's good we have defeated both. USD has an outside shot at a 4-4 finish, but they'll need a big upset to pull it off.

There's a lot to work out and a win Saturday would sure keep us out of the muck.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                USD/Jeremy Hoeck seems to think that a team with six wins (USD) might get in.....

http://www.yankton.net/sports/articl...02e21af06.html

I think that finishing with seven wins (4-4 MVFC) would leave us behind at least three MVFC teams (including UNI). We could also possibly end up below USD/WIU in that scenario and obviously sitting at home during the playoffs.

NDSU could definitely take another loss, but I certainly don't see two happening. ISU-R is more likely to lose two, so they are not completely out of reach if we get a win Saturday. I think that UNI is headed for a 5-3 MVFC finish. WIU will probably end up 4-4. ISU-B and YSU have a chance to finish with the 4-4 crowd, so it's good we have defeated both. USD has an outside shot at a 4-4 finish, but they'll need a big upset to pull it off.

There's a lot to work out and a win Saturday would sure keep us out of the muck.
                Nice enough guy but it seems he travels to Co. When he writes articles like this. But hey know your audience I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  Please let this nobowls.com bracket come to fruition. I like our chances against UNI if we play them again, and it would be amazing having NDSU and ISUr on the opposite side. I think we have to beat ISUr to get a seed though.

Anyone else here who's been around long enough to fantasize about a match-up with Jacksonville State in the final? What's the saying? Revenge is a dish best served cold?

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
                    Anyone else here who's been around long enough to fantasize about a match-up with Jacksonville State in the final? What's the saying? Revenge is a dish best served cold?
                    Whats the deal with jacksonville state?
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Whats the deal with jacksonville state?
                      They beat us in the mid 80's at the national championship game for men's basketball. We got screwed in that game and refs gave them the championship. Revenge would be sweet.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        They beat us in the mid 80's at the national championship game for men's basketball. We got screwed in that game and refs gave them the championship. Revenge would be sweet.
                        Can you say Mark Tetzlaff? Just like yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                          Those bastards...........
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Not just bastards....RAT BASTARDS!

Comment

Tom McDonald is the name to recall. Best free-throw shooter in the nation that year, something like 95.4, takes an inbound pass at half court with score tied (after Tetzlaff fouled out...5th was ok, but 4th was unbelievable call). Jacksonville defender pushed him (and clearly fouled him) as the ball was thrown in, and referee called McDonald out of bounds and gave Jacksonville the ball. They scored, we were cheated out of two free throws which were basically automatic.

We were in the room with the team after the loss and it was a morgue. When we got back to the hotel, there were a number of Jacksonville fans on our floor, and several said it looked like we had gotten a rather bad call...REALLY? BTW, the referee that made the call, was the same referee where Bobby Knight threw the famous chair at him. Can't ever forget the way we lost a national championship!

Comment

You've heard of someone who has "selective hearing".....well,guess some people can also have "selective seeing" (sight),and only see what they want to see.I'm talking about the ref in that game,btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X