X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fred Oien article

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    So the Argus should have it archived some place
    Indeed. I wonder that TV didn't catch it--or left it out. It's definitely an extra dimension to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
      Maybe it's a warning from the mods
      Not from the Moderators. I commented in my last post that I was digned with a bad rep point. Actually, it was one of the gray ones. I'm not sure what that means and some posters who have stated it may be from someone who hasn't been on the board very long is as good an explanation as I've heard.

Comment

Speaking of thread drift, does anybody know on which date the fall semester starts? I couldn't find it on the SDSU web site although I am sure it is there someplace.
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Not from the Moderators. I commented in my last post that I was digned with a bad rep point. Actually, it was one of the gray ones. I'm not sure what that means and some posters who have stated it may be from someone who hasn't been on the board very long is as good an explanation as I've heard.
          I kinda figured that but I felt like making fun of RO

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I have not had the opportunity to sit down and have one on one conversations with Fred like I once did, and maybe more often before 1990, and before he was AD. I learned a great deal from these conversations about athletic adminstration. I think it is fair to state that his precessor Dr Forysth helped groom Fred for the AD position and he did an excellent job. Fred got his advanced degrees out east and I want to say they were the same instittutions where Jack Frost got his but might be wrong on that detail, but I know Fred thought a great of deal of Rueben "Jack" Frost, the quiet and thoughtful Norweigan from North Dakota.

My point is that Fred was groomed to be an AD under a D2 classifications and since SDSU is now a D1 member with a completely different number of responsiblities, I tend to think he felt he should not have imput in his successor, and it was one for the an appointed committee to make. Also consider when Reggie Christiansen left SDSU last spring, Fred backed off in hiring a new coach, and I think he probably was thinking retirement in making that decision. Plus he an able assistant Richie Price to turn the program over too.

So when you consider the historical background, to me this is a very unfair question and shows the lack of histroical background by both Stu Whitney and Terry Vandervec. Since Terry did not as I recall make an issue of Fred absence in the choice of his successor, I will let him off the hook on that matter. My problem with TV is the sources that were included in his article.

TeaJackrabbit is a fan like me and no doubt has a number of questions on how sausage is made(adminstration of the athletic department.) so his questions are understandable, but certainly, as are mine questions subject to challenge by someone else on this board.

I think there are a few things that can be discussed without involving Fred's personal life. He is a human just like you and I and these past few years have not been easy ones for him. Was he responsible for his actions in and off of the office? Yes. That part is undefendable and I dont try to defend him.

I do appreciate all that he has done as an AD, and if he was less than direct then we would not have made the progress to date that we have. Look south, it cost USD a half million in settlment damages due to the Title IX law suit settlement, and it was the result of bad decisions or no decisions by Jack Doyle. So be thankful we have had a passionate Fred Oien as our AD for the past 19 years.
            You know, just as you take offense to Coyote fans commenting about Fred Oien, saying we don't know the whole story that all we hear is rumor, well, guess what? You don't know the whole story there either. I know, you'll provide me a link to the court findings. I know you will. But you do not know the whole story behind what happened there. I will sum it up, Mary Mock was responsible for women's athletics at USD. Women's athletics were horrible under her supervision, especially the volleyball team whose coach was fired at the same time. Ms. Mock thought it unfair she was fired after years of subpar performance so she took out her revenge claiming gender discrimination. This happens everyday in businesses all over this country. Forget she was horrible at her job, it must be because she was a woman she shouldn't have been canned. No coincidence that once she was gone women's athletics started to improve down here at USD. Yes, and that half million dollars, didn't go to Ms. Mock and the ex-volleyball coach, she got some money, but a bulk of that half mill went right into the pockets of her attorneys for their fees for them bringing this suit.

If you ask me, money well spent to be rid of her.

Comment

And I'll add I thought the Argus article was in poor taste. No need for that article to be written other than to rile people up and create controversy.

It's all in the past, let it stay there. Your new AD has some pretty good credentials and seems very capable. Good luck to him in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                You know, just as you take offense to Coyote fans commenting about Fred Oien, saying we don't know the whole story that all we hear is rumor, well, guess what? You don't know the whole story there either. I know, you'll provide me a link to the court findings. I know you will. But you do not know the whole story behind what happened there. I will sum it up, Mary Mock was responsible for women's athletics at USD. Women's athletics were horrible under her supervision, especially the volleyball team whose coach was fired at the same time. Ms. Mock thought it unfair she was fired after years of subpar performance so she took out her revenge claiming gender discrimination. This happens everyday in businesses all over this country. Forget she was horrible at her job, it must be because she was a woman she shouldn't have been canned. No coincidence that once she was gone women's athletics started to improve down here at USD. Yes, and that half million dollars, didn't go to Ms. Mock and the ex-volleyball coach, she got some money, but a bulk of that half mill went right into the pockets of her attorneys for their fees for them bringing this suit.

If you ask me, money well spent to be rid of her.
                Really you got to be kidding me!!! Why blame the coach? What was Doyle doing all this time? BTW contracts are renewable yearly, so it should not have cost the tax payers a half million to get rid of her. I guess Doyle did fire her but did not do it legally. Now that says volumnes about the decision making of Jack Doyle.

I say again, Fred did not cost the taxpayers one half million dollars. Jack Doyle did. Its not Mary Mock problem if she were problem why did she excerise her legal rights? Why blame the messenger? I dont know where Jack Doyle is at this moment. He probably is still sharpening pencils at the Foundation, but I think thats a bigger problem than Dr. Oiens personal problems. I will shut up about this only when Stu Whitney stops his attempts to gain access to Dr Oien's personnel files and stops taking shots at the Admin at SDSU and for you to come here and try to sweep this Doyle mess under the rug will not go unchallenged.

Comment

Not a USD thread.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Nidardos.

I respect your enthusiasm for SDSU and the affection exhibited for your friend, Dr. Oien. We would all be so lucky to have an ally like yourself. However, in my personal opinion, the continious rants about Stu and Jack Doyle defeat your purpose. I think it is unamiounious that all believe (SDSU fans and USD fans) that this was a non-story done in poor taste. I believe it would be best for your health to head the following.

1) Take a deep breath and step away from the computer for an hour or two.
                    2) Do not let Stu invade your mind
                    3) Realize the story was written by the AL for other reasons.
                    4) The personal issues of Dr. Oien were already well known by about everyone in the state
                    5) SDSU and the whole state for that matter greatly benefited during his time at SDSU
                    6) Focus on the new AD since he sounds like a great hire
                    7) Enjoy the past and future success achieved by SDSU in the academic and athletic arena.
                    8) LET IT GO

Everyone else has.
                    Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                      Nidardos.

I respect your enthusiasm for SDSU and the affection exhibited for your friend, Dr. Oien. We would all be so lucky to have an ally like yourself. However, in my personal opinion, the continious rants about Stu and Jack Doyle defeat your purpose. I think it is unamiounious that all believe (SDSU fans and USD fans) that this was a non-story done in poor taste. I believe it would be best for your health to head the following.

4) The personal issues of Dr. Oien were already well known by about everyone in the state
                      5) SDSU and the whole state for that matter greatly benefited during his time at SDSU
                      7) Enjoy the past and future success achieved by SDSU in the academic and athletic arena.
                      8) LET IT GO

Everyone else has.
                      JoeybrownerHOF, I love the moniker! Stongest hands in the NFL, I always loved that one!

Thanks for the post. Now we have officially had people on both sides of this thing call for us all to move on. AMEN!!!

Rep points for that post!

It's a great day to be a Jackrabbit!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Not a USD thread.
                        Yes I understand its not a USD thread. I do also recognize how quickly the action of other past AD's are forgotten. Fred did not cost SDSU a half million dollars. Thanks to Stu and negative ways, SDSU might raise one half million because of the articles. Which could be a good thing. And I do also realize this is not a Martha Stewart thread either

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                          Nidardos.

8) LET IT GO

Everyone else has.
                          Good advice and don't worry about my health, only I can do that.

Comment

Pie is good!

Comment

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10

Comment

I'm on board with yote53. It is time to completely drop the discussion regarding your former AD and the article written by the AL. As a Coyote fan, I see no purpose in the story. Nothing good can come of it. The SDSU fans truly believe his good outweighed his negatives, and I'm ok with that.

Reagrding the attack on Jack Doyle, there is more to the story than the link provides. He hit it on the head. I don't think you will find to many USD supporters out here with any longevity that thinks Jack Doyle was a "wizard" AD. However, I don't think you'll find many USD supporters that will say anything real negative or harsh about the man either. Jack Doyle is good people. Should he have been our AD, probably not. But a common practice years ago was to name a caoch "retiring" from his sport as the new AD. Most coaches are not good businessmen. I think the AD has to have a very broad knowledge of athletics, but first and most important, has to have a great deal of business sense.

USD fans agree with your fans that the article never should have been written, as there is no good to come from it. Start a thread about your new AD, and bury this one. We wish him well, and look forward to the time if and when both schools are ready to renew the rivalry. Until then, good luck AD Sell. Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X