This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fred Oien article

As far as Oien staying on after 2004, I once heard (can't remember where, so take it for what it's worth) that Oien offered to resign, and Miller wouldn't hear of it.

The article does make Miller look a fair bit clueless, but as to Chicoine and the state's open records laws....

Fact is, working for the state should not make it possible for anyone in the world to have access to your personnel file.

I say 'let's compare scars'. I want to see Whitney's personnel file from Gannett, if he wants to see Oien's.

Has STU ever been under investigation for improper conduct? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Furthermore, what did Whitney EXPECT Chicoine to say? "We don't want this guy to leave with any dignity. I never saw him do anything, but let me recite for you EVERY report that came across my desk!!!!!!!"

I would certainly NEVER want to see the head of the state's flagship university acting like an old gossip during a newspaper interview.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      I don't think that dedicated service to a place that hands you a check every two weeks in return gives you free reign, especially when you're a state employee representing and entire university and in part, an entire state.

I'm jusy asking for a grown man to be accountable. That's all.
      I agree, of course. State employees should be held to a high standard of decorum.

But then again, Fred has retired, and I wish him well in his retirement. We have a new AD. This story seems to be a fading memory everywhere but here. I was on campus for several hours today, talked to maybe a dozen people and nobody had this story on their minds.

I think people who have particular concerns about the story should talk to TV. Or you could raise your concerns with Maricarrol Kueter, the executive editor and an SDSU graduate.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm jusy asking for a grown man to be accountable. That's all.
        OK...I know I said final post twice before. I have a "dog in the hunt" as one other poster said (or maybe TJ...I don't have time to look it up). That's because I know the guy and I will be willing to bet I know more about the "facts" than you do, but I get tired of answering what some other people think are facts.

Fact 1: Stu Whitney and the Argus went to the President last year and demanded to have Dr. Oien's personnel file. The President responded that ALL personnel files are closed per South Dakota law.

Fact 2: A lawsuit was mentioned, and the President sought legal advice, affirmed by the Attorney General, that the file cannot be released under South Dakota law. End of that avenue.

That definitely got Stu Whitney's shorts tied up, and you can bet today won't be the last time he brings it up. Personally, I believe it will start to wear thin with the general public before long...although there are some people who won't ever stop (especially if you dislike the guy because he fired you).

I find it odd TJ, that you would now say you meant in an official capacity at the Summit League tournament (that's not what you said earlier). Why wasn't he there in an official capacity...because he had retired from the job...remember? I'll respond with PMs if I ever feel the need to read this thread again.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          Fact is, working for the state should not make it possible for anyone in the world to have access to your personnel file.
          Right. Other than job classification and salary information, which is readily available in every state where I have worked (including South Dakota) privacy rules protect access to personnel information pretty much everywhere.

You can get state employee salary information here:

http://open.sd.gov/

You can look me up there if you wish. Does that bug me? No. Taxpayers pay a portion of my salary, so I understand that information should be available to them. Other than that, it's between me and my supervisors.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

FYI -- The use of unauthorized license plate stickers is a class 2 misdemeanor.
            http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/Di...atute=32-5-139
            University of South Dakota:
            Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              He'd walk into a public place and spot someone he knew and ask in a loud voice a question which implied some outrageous underlying fact: "Hey, you still sleeping with your sister?" It always got a laugh.
              That's the most interesting variation of the 'Have you stopped beating your wife?' question I've seen. BTW: what's the accepted name for those types of questions in the legal realm, as television has taught me that you can't ask them in court.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Hey, negative rep points are flying freely today. I picked one up myself.
                What does a gray one mean? I've gotten a couple now. Is it neutral, just someone acknowledging that I wrote something?
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                  What does a gray one mean? I've gotten a couple now. Is it neutral, just someone acknowledging that I wrote something?
                  Maybe it's a warning from the mods

Comment

If you are talking about User CP, the person giving you points postive or negative has not been on the board and made sufficient posts to make the point count or deduct I suspose. I doubt its a warning from the mods. Its probably rep points from your fellow yotes who are new comers to this board.

Comment

Not sure where you get the perfect family life stuff. Maybe I'll send you a personal message at some point and share some of the struggles my family has been through.

We can disagree, which we do, but no need to get personal and ugly. Just give me more give me more negative points, that'll teach me!
                      Well I guess we traded negative points. No problem here except that Dr Oien has been my friend for many years and I see no need to back down from some self righteous person as your self. As far as I am concerned you dont need to send me a PM.

Comment

It might be from someone who isn't a member of the forum (got one of those about a month ago).

Just as handing out good rep points, you can not hand someone bad rep points until you spread the love around (couldn't think of anything better than that). I haven't clicked that icon for a while now.

As for Fred, it really doesn't matter to me if he was at the Summit League tourney as a SDSU official or a SDSU fan. Fred worked hard with the rest of the Athletic Department to get SDSU to Division I. I agree with a previous post, let's see what is in Stu's personal file. Let Fred enjoy his retirement.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

As far as Oien staying on after 2004, I once heard (can't remember where, so take it for what it's worth) that Oien offered to resign, and Miller wouldn't hear of it.
                          The offer of resignation was indeed reported by the Argus Leader. Wonder why that was conviently left out in Sunday's article? I been trying to get these reportings to come up in a google, but no luck so far. I will keep trying and I found the COLLEIGIAN Article from 2004:

http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/m...e-610025.shtml

Comment

Apple...warmed slightly...ala mode...
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Wonder why that was conviently left out in Sunday's article?
                              I believe because you'd have to have been here to catch that.

TV was in Fargo, that remark by Miller was buried in the Argus coverage, if it was in the Argus at all, and TV's unlikely to have dug up Collegian articles from the time as part of his research.

--

Now IMO, it's possible that Stu's got some sort of unpublishable 'dirt' on Oien that is of a nature similar to what's been gone over already, and that he wanted somehow to confirm that dirt via access to confidential files.

Not having been able to get what he wants, he's resorted to childish behavior.

And yes, I know you don't pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel, but on the other hand, buying ink by the barrel doesn't mean that you're right. Or even particularly grown-up.

Comment

I believe because you'd have to have been here to catch that.

TV was in Fargo, that remark by Miller was buried in the Argus coverage, if it was in the Argus at all, and TV's unlikely to have dug up Collegian articles from the time as part of his research.

--

Now IMO, it's possible that Stu's got some sort of unpublishable 'dirt' on Oien that is of a nature similar to what's been gone over already, and that he wanted somehow to confirm that dirt via access to confidential files.

Not having been able to get what he wants, he's resorted to childish behavior.

And yes, I know you don't pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel, but on the other hand, buying ink by the barrel doesn't mean that you're right. Or even particularly grown-up.
                                Taken right from the Collegian story...

The "Argus Leader" reported that Oien attempted to resign but the school did not accept his offer.
                                So the Argus should have it archived some place

Comment

Working...
                                X