Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frat Fire

The arsonist is alleged at this point.

2002 I am assuming that you know some in the house. There is no one here who hasn't had good thoughts/wishes for those involved and the community of Brookings and SDSU will help them I'm sure.

But the world did not end for any involved or for any of us. You pick yourself up, surround yourself in your family and friends and learn to move on.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
      The arsonist is alleged at this point.  

2002 I am assuming that you know some in the house.  There is no one here who hasn't had good thoughts/wishes for those involved and the community of Brookings and SDSU will help them I'm sure.  

But the world did not end for any involved or for any of us.  You pick yourself up, surround yourself in your family and friends and learn to move on.

Agreed. If you guys want to argue about the usage of "frat" I support your right. But move it to its own thread. This thread should involve thoughts, prayers, news, etc. about the fire.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Just curious, but was the house covered by a home owners policy? What would really be sad is if the frat did not have the sense to carry an insurance policy allowing for the members to be reimbursed for their loss of property. I would think SDSU's frat guidelines may even require some sort of ins to protect the frat from liability should anyone slip and fall on the sidewalk and seek the help of some nefarious ambulance chaser. Anyone have any idea? Goon or tdhummel?
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

just read through the other posts. Didn't know I wasn't supposed to use the term "frats". The only slur I intended when making my post was the one about ambulance chasers. And I'm a card carrying member of the ambulance chaser club, so that slur was really only intended to get a chuckle out of the _d's on the board (jackmd and JackJD). Anyway, my bad on the frat thing. Guess it's just me being a dumb ex-jock...excuse me...intellectually challenged ex-athlete. Back on point, any insurance on that fraternity house that burned down?
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
            Just curious, but was the house covered by a home owners policy?  What would really be sad is if the frat did not have the sense to carry an insurance policy allowing for the members to be reimbursed for their loss of property.  I would think SDSU's frat guidelines may even require some sort of ins to protect the frat from liability should anyone slip and fall on the sidewalk and seek the help of some nefarious ambulance chaser.  Anyone have any idea?  Goon or tdhummel?  
            I asked a afriend who is a SPD alumni and i believe that they did not have kind of coverage from the national HQ since i dont beleive it was going to be a permenant house they were just renting so there probably was no home owners or such, but hopefully they had renters insureance atleast. Im not sure how most fraternities cover member and house insurance, hopefully they had something. Since they are not on SDSU property im not sure how SDSU handles coverage either. Thats a good question, ill see what i can find out.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If they were just renting the house, its likely the property owner had insurance on the property (structure etc.) itself. If the owner didn't have such coverage, the owner should have their head examined for not protecting that asset. As for the renters' contents, they'd need renter's insurance. Sometimes a college student's personal property is covered under his/her parents' homeowners coverage up to a limited amount (in my kids' case, the limit was $10,000--so, their property in a rented apartment while in college is covered up to $10k on my homeowner's policy).

Even with good insurance coverage, in a disasterous fire, you lose some things that are irreplaceable (e.g. the funny pictures, your notes from class, the letter you were going to mail to your girlfriend, telling her the relationship was over -- you know, "it's not you, it's me&quot.

I wonder if Don Imus says "frat" or "fraternity"?

Comment

While we were down in Brookings, last weekend, Kai drove us around and showed us the house it was torn down on one side right to the ground. What a shame , I hope everyone gets help, to get back on their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                  Just curious, but was the house covered by a home owners policy?  What would really be sad is if the frat did not have the sense to carry an insurance policy allowing for the members to be reimbursed for their loss of property.  I would think SDSU's frat guidelines may even require some sort of ins to protect the frat from liability should anyone slip and fall on the sidewalk and seek the help of some nefarious ambulance chaser.  Anyone have any idea?  Goon or tdhummel?  
                  None of the guys had renters insurance, but they were covered under their parents homeowners insurance. That is a good point about the slipping and falling. We talked about that in a few of our meetings for the fact that our landloard doesn't like down spouts and ran the gutter long. This allowed the water to run right on the side walk. We had to make sure we did an excellent job keeping it free of ice because it is right in front of the main door.

Comment

Originally posted by tdhummel

None of the guys had renters insurance,
                    for any college kids looking at this, go get renters insurance now. It is not expensive. I thought why pay the money since nothing was going to happen, and even if it did all I had was some clothes, etc. When I found out what a buddy was paying (actually his folks), I thought I was an idiot for not having it. And I was.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Nice work by the Coolegian to use FRAT right in their headline about the fire. Good job keeping up the stereotyping.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Glad to see the house is already being repaired so they will have a place again next year. Hopefully people with the ability help out with donating money to them at meta bank. It is hard to replace all the pictures composites that were lost. Hopeuflly with help they will be able to replace them.

Comment

I drove by the house this afternooon. Workers were busy shingling the roof. The walls are up and the house is wrapped with the plastic sheething customarily used. Looks like windows go in next.

Comment

I still can't understand why the land loard didn't fix the basement before. The block walls leaked and are cracked...

Comment

Originally posted by tdhummel
                              I still can't understand why the land loard didn't fix the basement before.  The block walls leaked and are cracked...
                              He/she is probably one of the slumlords that frequent the city of Brookings and wants to Half-Ass the renovations.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                                [quote author=tdhummel link=1175347851/30#42 date=1176736467]I still can't understand why the land loard didn't fix the basement before.  The block walls leaked and are cracked...
                                He/she is probably one of the slumlords that frequent the city of Brookings and wants to Half-Ass the renovations.[/quote]

Hey, not all rental house homeowners in Brookings are slumlords. I take offense .

Comment

Working...
                                X