Athletic Facilities Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post

Feels like USD has found a way to upgrade facilities for all of their sports, I still cannot figure out how. It has to be more University dollars for those projects. We still have so sports at are competing at average HS facilities. Softball, Baseball, Soccer, Outdoor Track and the above mentioned Swim and Dive. I haven't heard if the pool is part of First Bank and Trust Arena `but these sports need some upgrades.
    USD students make a sizable contribution to Athletics through their student fees.

Comment

Good for them, I guess. I wish we had more ways to move the needle

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Is the Aquatics center also being redone during arena refurbishment? I see USD is getting a new aquatics center.
        The 2025 Athletic Facilities Master Plan (released in 2010), indicated a new Aquatics Competition and Practice Facility to the North end, and connected to the Wellness Center.

I don’t think there is space in its current location to make the necessary changes to be an adequate competition pool. It is 25 yards (not meters), and as such is not even 1/2 the length of an Olympic sized pool. It also lacks the depth for NCAA dive platforms.

I’m sure it all comes down to funding. Of course that master plan also shows a new wrestling room attached to east of Frost Arena (it is now on the west of SJAC), and a dedicated golf driving range and practice facility (the “Biddy is now in the SJAC, with putting/chipping greens and some simulators).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone seen any pictures/ updates to Frost or First Bank and Trust Arena?

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post

The 2025 Athletic Facilities Master Plan (released in 2010), indicated a new Aquatics Competition and Practice Facility to the North end, and connected to the Wellness Center.

I don’t think there is space in its current location to make the necessary changes to be an adequate competition pool. It is 25 yards (not meters), and as such is not even 1/2 the length of an Olympic sized pool. It also lacks the depth for NCAA dive platforms.

I’m sure it all comes down to funding. Of course that master plan also shows a new wrestling room attached to east of Frost Arena (it is now on the west of SJAC), and a dedicated golf driving range and practice facility (the “Biddy is now in the SJAC, with putting/chipping greens and some simulators).

We ought to be #1, the best, at making the turns in the races, not to make light of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              We ought to be #1, the best, at making the turns in the races, not to make light of the situation.
              NCAA swimming still uses yards for competition, so an Olympic sized pool (25 m long lanes) is unnecessary unless the university wants to host events outside of collegiate competition.
              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

NCAA swimming still uses yards for competition, so an Olympic sized pool (25 m long lanes) is unnecessary unless the university wants to host events outside of collegiate competition.
                You are correct that NCAA does use 25m lengths. LCM (Long Course Meters - 50m) is commonly referred to as ‘Olympic sized’.

https://clearcomfort.com/olympic-size-pool/

Most modern Natatorium have a movable bulkhead that can be adjusted to allow for multiple configurations, including a warm up/ temperature acclimation area behind the bulkhead.

It seems silly to spend any significant money to upgrade the current facility without changing the footprint.

Comment

http://twitter.com/MidcoSports/statu...66529839562754

Nice little Frost Arena update done by Midco.

Comment

Working...
                  X