No announcement yet.

Athletic Facilities Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the project get approved to move forward with summer 2022 construction timeline?

Comment

Bill passed education committee now moves on to a joint appropriations committee. It was 8 yea and 6 nays. I’m always confused by the nays unless I am misinterpreting what the boot is for.

https://www.sdlegislature.gov/Session/Vote/71592

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
        Bill passed education committee now moves on to a joint appropriations committee. It was 8 yea and 6 nays. I’m always confused by the nays unless I am misinterpreting what the boot is for.

https://www.sdlegislature.gov/Session/Vote/71592
        Sooo, interesting to understand their reasoning, but 3 that voted nay on our bill, voted Yea, for the similar bill for DSU........

"The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

On a side note, why are they looking to remove the wecota hall annex? there is another house bill to address that.

I haven't been up today with the stuff on campus but curious what was going on?
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            On a side note, why are they looking to remove the wecota hall annex? there is another house bill to address that.

I haven't been up today with the stuff on campus but curious what was going on?
            As someone who has spent a lot of time in them the last 10 years, the whole Wecota complex is not in the best shape.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post

As someone who has spent a lot of time in them the last 10 years, the whole Wecota complex is not in the best shape.
              I was wondering if age has caught up too them. Haven't been in those areas for 20 years so hard to remember.

Comment

I reached out to the 6 nays, here is the response from Representative Sam Marty (Prairie City, SD).

Hi, I’ve been here for 8 years and have constantly been bombarded by our colleges wanting millions every year for all kinds of building projects. I know this is all money that has been raised but there are always hidden costs to the taxpayers and students. Our college system in the state of SD, in my opinion, are a huge burden to the taxpayers of SD and we have burdened the citizens with to many colleges. Governor Janklow started the process of removing the burden of to many colleges but didn’t go far enough. Just my thoughts and I am always looking out for the taxpayers. Thanks for asking. Rep Sam Marty

At least he was consistent and voted against DSU’s bill too. I’ll share any other responses I get.

Comment

Drew Dennert (Aberdeen).

Thanks for reaching out. I voted No for two reasons:

#1: $4 Million is coming from university funds as opposed to private funds.

#2: We have been instructed to send appropriation bills to House appropriations and the motion was to send to Joint appropriations.

This was the main reason as if the original motion had been defeated then we could have then made a substitute to send it to House appropriations.

Thank you,
                  Rep Drew Dennert

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                    I reached out to the 6 nays, here is the response from Representative Sam Marty (Prairie City, SD).

Hi, I’ve been here for 8 years and have constantly been bombarded by our colleges wanting millions every year for all kinds of building projects. I know this is all money that has been raised but there are always hidden costs to the taxpayers and students. Our college system in the state of SD, in my opinion, are a huge burden to the taxpayers of SD and we have burdened the citizens with to many colleges. Governor Janklow started the process of removing the burden of to many colleges but didn’t go far enough. Just my thoughts and I am always looking out for the taxpayers. Thanks for asking. Rep Sam Marty

At least he was consistent and voted against DSU’s bill too. I’ll share any other responses I get.

Assuming this was a direct copy and paste from Mr. Marty's response, "to many colleges" -- not once, but twice -- is too ironic.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

Maybe a guy who thinks we have too many colleges isn't the right person to have on an education committee.
                      Rollin' in my 5.0
                      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

Maybe a guy who thinks we have too many colleges isn't the right person to have on an education committee.
                        Maybe he should be reminded of this:

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-...onomic-impact/

Comment

I like he's looking out for the tax payer, I think they all should. But, that might include re-furbishing as opposed to demolishing and building new, as a way to save money in the long run.

Comment

Has the project been officially signed off on so construction can begin this summer?

Comment

https://gojacks.com/news/2022/2/16/g...a-project.aspx

Neat announcement about a student club section sponsored by Hefty Seed. One of a kind. I think it’s a tremendous idea. Give the students some amenities, a way to build community, and a big draw to come to games. Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                                https://gojacks.com/news/2022/2/16/g...a-project.aspx

Neat announcement about a student club section sponsored by Hefty Seed. One of a kind. I think it’s a tremendous idea. Give the students some amenities, a way to build community, and a big draw to come to games. Looks great!
                                After reading that, I miss that experience too, lining up hours before the USD game, rushing to get to the stands to get front and center basically right behind the scorers table or next to the opponent bench. We would just heckle and yell at the coach just to be annoying. I miss those old bleachers that went all the way to the floor. really made if feel like it packed in much closer.

Comment

Working...
                                X