SDSU President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU President

$100k seems like a lot I get it. Yes, search firms are making money or they would cease to exist but this type of search respectfully cannot be done without a search firm. The BOR day to day operations does not allow them to constantly be keeping a list of potential president prospects - yes, they would likely always have a few in mind but this was a national search and not everybody understands the type of expenses that would go into that. If due diligence was done and this search was handled inside entirely by the BOR it would have extended on months longer and costed significantly more.

Comment

Was watching KELO TV this morning. They had a short clip about the murals on the Corn Palace in Mitchell and noted it costs about $157,000 to change the murals. That's a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Was watching KELO TV this morning. They had a short clip about the murals on the Corn Palace in Mitchell and noted it costs about $157,000 to change the murals. That's a lot.
        The requirements go beyond run of the mill shelled corn that goes between $3.50-3.75 a bushel. I suppose they may use dyes to color some of corn, but it's got to be labor intensive. It gets the wondering tourist attention which is what is all about. Money well spent. A good anaolgy
        Last edited by Nidaros; 05-18-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Perspective...thanks JD...a few needed that.
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            You don't think 100K is a lot?

To hire a few people to do a couple weeks worth of work for their time and resources seems high to me. Not saying its wrong just seems like a lot.
            You still didn't answer the question. What about the fee charged by the consultant was too high? I really think you have no clue what professional services cost. They aren't cheap.

$100k may or may not be a lot. If your paying $100k for a $40 million yacht it's not really a lot.

Comment

You don't think 100K is a lot?

To hire a few people to do a couple weeks worth of work for their time and resources seems high to me. Not saying its wrong just seems like a lot.
              Keep in mind you're not just paying them for the "work" they do. You are paying them for the contacts and relationships they have. Those search firms have databases full of information about potential candidates for these kinds of positions. They have worked with those kinds of candidates. If you're in a hurry and want to create a pool of potential candidates who fit the institution in a hurry, these kinds of search firms have that information.

So you're paying for access to information as much as anything else.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Keep in mind you're not just paying them for the "work" they do. You are paying them for the contacts and relationships they have. Those search firms have databases full of information about potential candidates for these kinds of positions. They have worked with those kinds of candidates. If you're in a hurry and want to create a pool of potential candidates who fit the institution in a hurry, these kinds of search firms have that information.

So you're paying for access to information as much as anything else.
                If nothing else can be said, the fact that we had what we feel successful candidate right on campus in Barry Dunn says something. He was among the best the nation had to offer and he could have finished his career somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  You still didn't answer the question. What about the fee charged by the consultant was too high? I really think you have no clue what professional services cost. They aren't cheap.

$100k may or may not be a lot. If your paying $100k for a $40 million yacht it's not really a lot.
                  Yes I did, you didnt notice it apparently. A couple weeks of their work seems like a lot for that amount. Why do you say that I have no clue what professional services cost? I didnt say it was to high or out of line, just seems like a lot for maybe a month of time from them. Maybe it would have been the same cost if they "worked" for 1 week or 6 months. Maybe you dont think 100K is a lot of money, I think it is.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yes I did, you didnt notice it apparently. A couple weeks of their work seems like a lot for that amount. Why do you say that I have no clue what professional services cost? I didnt say it was to high or out of line, just seems like a lot for maybe a month of time from them. Maybe it would have been the same cost if they "worked" for 1 week or 6 months. Maybe you dont think 100K is a lot of money, I think it is.
                    I still don't think you're reading that right. Two people just told you it's not their time. It's their information/contacts.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      If nothing else can be said, the fact that we had what we feel successful candidate right on campus in Barry Dunn says something. He was among the best the nation had to offer and he could have finished his career somewhere else.
                      I think about that too how we had Dean Nichols for so long. If she hadnt left for Whyoming I would have put money on it should would have be a top choice for SDSU along with Dunn.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        I still don't think you're reading that right. Two people just told you it's not their time. It's their information/contacts.
                        Does this make you feel better, for their time and services I wouldnt have expected it to be so high.

again I am not saying its to much or a waste of money. But if you would have asked how much would it cost to hire consultants for the time and services they provide to hire a president at a state university? I don't think the first number I would guess would be 100k. simple as that. Wonder what it was for the consulting fee was, when Peggy was hired.

Comment

Does this make you feel better, for their time and services I wouldnt have expected it to be so high.

again I am not saying its to much or a waste of money. But if you would have asked how much would it cost to hire consultants for the time and services they provide to hire a president at a state university? I don't think the first number I would guess would be 100k. simple as that. Wonder what it was for the consulting fee was, when Peggy was hired.
                          How many years ago was that ?

Comment

How much would a bad hire cost?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              It still all boils down to time. It takes "time" to make those contacts and compile that information. That is all used to figure out a bill rate or overall fee.

I'm also sure that once we signed with that consulting firm they still spent a fair bit of time contacting prospective applicants, compiling resumes, meetings with our admin, administrative costs, researching SDSU to get a sense of the type of candidate that would fit, maybe some travel, etc. They may have had 10 people on our job full time for 3 weeks. That comes out to $83.33/hr.....

The fact that the UofM paid 150k for basically the same service tells us that our consultant fee wasn't out of line. Just because $100k is "a lot" to some people doesn't mean it's out of line. I marvel how people can have such strong opinions about something they obviously have no clue about.

Comment

How do you know how much time they put in? How do you know what specific services they provided? In order to make a reasonable determination of if their fee "seemed" high those are two tidbits of info that are fairly important.

Chicoine announced his decision to step down in December.

Comment

Working...
                                X