X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU President

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I think that's a good choice.
    Agreed MD. President Dunn is definitely a good choice.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Both Hilton Briggs (Wyoming) and Sherwood Berg (Minnesota) were Deans of Agriculture before becoming presidents of SDSU. It is a familiar path at Land Grant Universities, and South Dakota's strong ag community will be happy with the choice...as am I. Among other things, having lost the three top administrators, Dunn's selection provides a lot of stability to us. I'm extremely pleased that he was the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        Both Hilton Briggs (Wyoming) and Sherwood Berg (Minnesota) were Deans of Agriculture before becoming presidents of SDSU. It is a familiar path at Land Grant Universities, and South Dakota's strong ag community will be happy with the choice...as am I. Among other things, having lost the three top administrators, Dunn's selection provides a lot of stability to us. I'm extremely pleased that he was the choice.
        We did not go wrong with either. Both lived their retirements in Brookings. I think Barry Dunn will do well and is the most prepared candidate in the bunch. He no doubt will not have the colorful farm comments that Hilton often had, but will be very common in face to face meetings much like Woody and Hilton.

Comment

Found this while reading The Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...=28708&page=76

I had no idea but then I haven't ever had any conversations with him.

Comment

http://www.keloland.com/news/article...of-state-plane

Kelo with a new article

Comment

In its original email to KELOLAND News, the Board of Regents told us that some of the $156,000 went to location event rental, but would not specify what that meant. The only event we knew about was the announcement of Dunn's appointment at the SDSU Performing Arts Center. However, with this information, we now know that that event rental was for the hotel location to interview the finalists for the job in Sioux Falls.

Now they say deductive thought led them to report of rental for the PAC. So much for objective fact reporting.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Case closed,the last dog has been hung. Some consulting firm made easy money. I would love to see details on expenses charged to this $100,000. Something tells me not a whole bunch since travel was reimbursed separately. I think A lot of overhead from consultant office was covered with the $100,000 fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Case closed,the last dog has been hung. Some consulting firm made easy money. I would love to see details on expenses charged to this $100,000. Something tells me not a whole bunch since travel was reimbursed separately. I think A lot of overhead from consultant office was covered with the $100,000 fee.
                  I think I might need to make a career change. If a consultant firm gets that sort of money, they must have crazy big expenses or everyone gets paid really well.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    I think I might need to make a career change. If a consultant firm gets that sort of money, they must have crazy big expenses or everyone gets paid really well.
                    Explain why you think that's a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

Now they say deductive thought led them to report of rental for the PAC. So much for objective fact reporting.
                      Angela K. should know what happens when you assume.

Comment

The University of Minnesota used a search firm in their recent AD hire and paid them $150,000 plus expenses.

Comment

The consultant costs are what i would expect for this type of a search. That cost was negotiated before the process began. Whether a local candidate or someone from halfway around the world was selected, the cost would be the same. In addition to buying service by the consultants you are buying access to information. Just as our coaches have agents to help them, potntial presidential candidates are easier recruited by external consultants who can provide a cover of confidentality. The consultants will turn up candidates that would not otherwise apply and they maintain a higher level of confidence in the legitimatcy of the process. (I WAS NOT IN ANY WAY INVOLVED IN THIS SEARCH BUT SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCES THAT ARE SIMILAR)

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Explain why you think that's a lot?
                            You don't think 100K is a lot?

To hire a few people to do a couple weeks worth of work for their time and resources seems high to me. Not saying its wrong just seems like a lot.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                              The consultant costs are what i would expect for this type of a search. That cost was negotiated before the process began. Whether a local candidate or someone from halfway around the world was selected, the cost would be the same. In addition to buying service by the consultants you are buying access to information. Just as our coaches have agents to help them, potntial presidential candidates are easier recruited by external consultants who can provide a cover of confidentality. The consultants will turn up candidates that would not otherwise apply and they maintain a higher level of confidence in the legitimatcy of the process. (I WAS NOT IN ANY WAY INVOLVED IN THIS SEARCH BUT SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCES THAT ARE SIMILAR)
                              I was shooting from the hip in an earlier post in which I felt the consultant made a few bucks by having one candidate local, President Dunn, but the more I think about it the product costs are pretty much the same. In other words there may not been any savings to the consultant by one candidate being local. These consultants have a pretty good idea what they have to charge in order to stay in business. They cant afford to have cost over runs on a specific job, and that might happen when they have problems filling a job that requires very special skills. So I would agree with what you have said above and not for a second did I think you were involved in the search but were speaking from experience. I dont think 100k was too much, but enough to hire a candidate and the job has been filled.

Comment

You don't think 100K is a lot?

To hire a few people to do a couple weeks worth of work for their time and resources seems high to me. Not saying its wrong just seems like a lot.
                                Now, wait a second, goon. Sure, 100k is a lot. So is 10k. That's not the point. The issue is whether whatever sum is paid, is it 'too much' for the service etc. The number doesn't surprise me and apparently doesn't surprise other posters for the reasons they've stated. When faced with hiring the next President of the state's largest, most comprehensive University, we'd better be paying some money for a good consultant and search process. You might not like the method and the money paid but it seems to be the most tried and proven way to find the right candidate including one who is hired from within.

I think time will prove that the search process was successful and the money paid was a relatively nominal investment for the dividends we'll see with President Dunn.

If someone has a better idea, take it to the Board of Regents immediately (or, start your own consulting company!).

Comment

Working...
                                X