Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I am hungry for a Snickers and will pick one up at Walmart in an hour. Good advice.
    I'm eating my snickers now....

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      What's to know, he's our beat writer and doesn't know our WBB roster after 3 wks? Is that what you're talk'n about? That's all I'm say'n .Take it or leave it.
      I believe he is a fill in beat writer until things shake out. He could end up full time, or we could get someone new.

Let things shake out at the Argus. If this is the best they can do I think SDSU has a right to scream. But right now I think we all need to breathe and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        I believe he is a fill in beat writer until things shake out. He could end up full time, or we could get someone new.

Let things shake out at the Argus. If this is the best they can do I think SDSU has a right to scream. But right now I think we all need to breathe and see what happens.
        Yep. The final product may not be on the table yet. The Augie/USF coverage would also suffer otherwise. I saw that they have had good attendance for those game for men and women as well. The majority downtown SF crowd may not care about the Brookings scene. The way the Argus is limiting delivery outside of SF could tell a bigger story down the line.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

What's to know, he's our beat writer and doesn't know our WBB roster after 3 wks? Is that what you're talk'n about? That's all I'm say'n .Take it or leave it.
          I guess I have to say cut him some slack. Who knows how much of that 3 weeks was actually spent on anything SDSU related. Working at the Argus has to suck right now.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            I guess I have to say cut him some slack. Who knows how much of that 3 weeks was actually spent on anything SDSU related. Working at the Argus has to suck right now.
            I'm with you, and I have some familiarity with newspapers, sports coverage, etc. Terry did a terrific job and he led the way in expanding the sports department at the Argus. But before Terry left, several other jobs were cut, and the cupboard is really empty right now. Zimmer had a full-time job before the others left, he and the others still there, had WAY more than full-time jobs when Terry resigned. He didn't ask for the assignment, and he is doing what he can to adapt. I am in full agreement with those of you who will be very unhappy if the Argus let's this thing slide very long. I could however, if you want to spend the time, explain what is happening to the Argus and a lot of other dailies of the same size. Times are changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              I'm with you, and I have some familiarity with newspapers, sports coverage, etc. Terry did a terrific job and he led the way in expanding the sports department at the Argus. But before Terry left, several other jobs were cut, and the cupboard is really empty right now. Zimmer had a full-time job before the others left, he and the others still there, had WAY more than full-time jobs when Terry resigned. He didn't ask for the assignment, and he is doing what he can to adapt. I am in full agreement with those of you who will be very unhappy if the Argus let's this thing slide very long. I could however, if you want to spend the time, explain what is happening to the Argus and a lot of other dailies of the same size. Times are changing.
              KEY WORDS, like I said in a earlier post, TV was a friend on Facebook. Each time he did a blog or an article a link was available on Facebook. I seldom look at the Argus Leader although I am paying them 10 bucks a month. I get all my news on KELO Land and MSNBC, and this week I am being a Nielsen Household so I got to catch my view diary up to date. I really wonder how much longer the Argus will be profitable?

Comment

The Argus has only three people who do sports now. So if you want to be frustrated, focus your frustration on Gannett Co., Inc., which has slowly drained all the water from the pool in the last 25 years. A few years back, a Gannett executive was given a six-figure performance bonus for laying people off and enacting furloughs to save money.

If only they had not ignored the changes that were looming in the industry during the 1990s when they were making money hand over fist. A small investment then might have created some sort of internet product that people actually want. Instead, they stuck their fingers in their ears, closed their eyes and shouted la la la while pocketing the profits and investing nothing in their future prospects. [/end_rant]
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think Gannett is much like the buggy whip manufacturers were at the turn of the 19th century. Technological change is their worst enemy. Downsizing seems to be the only solution and when they can't find a buyer, they will close it down. There goes the Argus Liar as it was called informally.

Also gone is the emotionally attachment of Al Neuharth.

Comment

It's a decent SDSU day at the Argus today. Zimmer has a baseball article, a revival of "Tuesday Tidbits" and a live chat at 2:00. You can't complain about that.

Comment

One thing about Zimmer is he isn't afraid to be critical. As good as Terry was he seemed reluctant to breech any tough subjects.

I'm willing to give Zimmer a shot and anyone critical of him at this point is incorrect. He had a full time job prior to Terry leaving. Now he has two.

Comment

The whole point is if he put forth a little more effort into his job, there would be no need to gripe now would there. I'm through with the sniping comments for today.
                        He's covering 3 colleges! Covering 1 is difficult enough, let alone 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          One thing about Zimmer is he isn't afraid to be critical. As good as Terry was he seemed reluctant to breech any tough subjects.

I'm willing to give Zimmer a shot and anyone critical of him at this point is incorrect. He had a full time job prior to Terry leaving. Now he has two.
                          I agree with everything Montana has to say here.

I will also say that I'm most concerned about the SDSU "brand" being hurt by a lack of coverage more than anything. It is my opinion that Terry helped bring many casual fans onto the SDSU bandwagon with his outstanding coverage. Teams are much easier to get behind when not only are they performing well, but stories about them abound in print, online, and social media. My biggest concern is keeping that momentum that Terry helped build from his reporting alone.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            He's covering 3 colleges! Covering 1 is difficult enough, let alone 3.
                            Agree, and Gannett is the villain here, but maybe not, technological change is the real villain.

Comment

My eyes have been opened and I'm deeply ashamed.....wait, ah guess i'll hold back any criticism I may have harbored concerning MZ not knowing who Megan Stuart or Gabriel Boever are. Do to the startling revelations revealed in his support, I guess some leniency should be given for any shortcomings in coverage or lack of knowledge, do to him being overworked, which I do sympathize with. It's the Argus trying to stay in business I guess. If the Argus folds, so do more jobs and peoples lives are put in upheaval.

It never ceases to amaze me that one persons seemingly minor trivial criticism of a beat writer for not knowing a roster can bring out all these earth shattering revelations and all these complex troubles we have in the world. I've got to start looking at the big picture it seems [sarcasm].
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-17-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

My eyes have been opened and I'm deeply ashamed.....wait, ah guess i'll hold back any criticism I may have harbored concerning MZ not knowing who Megan Stuart or Gabriel Boever are. Do to the startling revelations revealed in his support, I guess some leniency should be given for any shortcomings in coverage or lack of knowledge, do to him being overworked, which I do sympathize with. It's the Argus trying to stay in business I guess.
                                He probably knows who they are but I'm guessing he hasn't had a chance to dive into their situations, which is understandable considering the workload he has.

Comment

Working...
                                X