Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More new dorms

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I think your being a little generous about how often they plow the lots. most campus lots were at best clearned 2 or 3 times a year. usually winter break or when students are off campus more, which unless their is snow piled up they wouldnt need to plow. Its horrible how Brookings and SDSU clear snow.
    Maybe, but I'm also being conservative on the $50/hr rate for removing snow.

The guy doing the work is probably only paid $10/hr, but he also has benefits (health insurance, vacation, 401K, etc.) that would all factor into his "billable rate". I would be shocked if his billable rate wasn't over $40/hr. Factor in the equipment and you are over $50/hr (probably well over), I will gaurantee it.

Comment

If a garage is built it would be for student parking not event parking. I encourage anybody that hasn't been to a major college campus to do so. What you will find is minimal motor vehicle access and parking. Spots that are available are handicap accessible or metered with a time limit. There is campus transportation at most (buses). Closing Medary is a tougher call without another route built to access the west side of campus. Maybe there are plans to build a loop around to the east or another road off of 14-bypass going south.
      Last edited by jackmd; 05-11-2012, 12:59 PM. Reason: Added bypass.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        If a garage is built it would be for student parking not event parking. I encourage anybody that hasn't been to a major college campus to do so. What you will find is minimal motor vehicle access and parking. Spots that are available are handicap accessible or metered with a time limit. There is campus transportation at most (buses). Closing Medary is a tougher call without another route built to access the west side of campus. Maybe there are plans to build a loop around to the east or another road off of 14 going south.
        If we keep growing eventually they will have to build a garage. However, it's a multi-million dollar investment and has on-going costs with maintenance. I also agree that limiting the vehicle parking on the main campus is likely the way to go. It's safer for all the students on campus and walking does not hurt anyone.

I didn't buy a commuter pass while I was in school. I parked south of campus and walked. One year, my first class of the day was in Ag Engineering. It didn't kill me to walk there. Today's kids are lazy and want everything the easy way.

As far as closing Medary, I don't see that happening unless they build another access from 6th Street to the bypass.

Comment

I'm not sure where the closing Medary idea came from, but I've never seen that proposed in any of the campus planning or parking/traffic planning documents. Seems like that wouldn't be possible, but I guess I could have missed it.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            I'm not sure where the closing Medary idea came from, but I've never seen that proposed in any of the campus planning or parking/traffic planning documents. Seems like that wouldn't be possible, but I guess I could have missed it.
            I think it was just mentioned in this thread when talking about severely limiting on campus traffic. I agree it would be difficult at best.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              I thinking I saw that maybe 10 or 12 years ago, when President Miller first came aboard, and they started updating the master plan, which President Wagner had not done much during his watch. Mike Reger was still on board that I recall. I just assumed this was still part of the plan, but it most likely was killed somewhere along the line. I honestly have not looked at any recent plans.

Comment

One thing I liked to do this year, especially since it was nice out, was park on the opposite side of campus from my classes if I had the time and walk to class....why not enjoy the weather a lil bit right?

Here are some numbers from the a 2010 article from the collegian... http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2010/04...the-way-again/

--Revenue for the 2010 fiscal year....$910,409
                --Operating Expenses.... $412,000
                --Project Costs....$1,896,883

Comment

Just some outside info. UND does have a parking ramp, but most admit it's been a boondoggle. They tried to help pay for it by charging a large amount of money for parking permits to use it. Hardly anyone was willing to pay the extra money for a guaranteed space in the ramp. After sitting nearly empty for a year, they tried reducing the cost of the ramp permit and raised the price of all the other parking permits rather dramatically. Now everyone is upset and the ramp still isn't anywhere near 100% utilized. It's pretty much been a waste of $10 million. NDSU also flirts with the idea of a parking ramp from time to time, but the cost-benefit ratio is just way too much out of wack for it to be a good idea. My suggestion: only go for it if you have absolutely no other choice. I mean NO other choice.

Comment

I don't think the following link has been posted in this thread before (if it has, sorry about the redundancy): virtual tour of the upcoming building projects: http://www.sdstate.edu/campus/expansion/tour.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I don't think the following link has been posted in this thread before (if it has, sorry about the redundancy): virtual tour of the upcoming building projects: http://www.sdstate.edu/campus/expansion/tour.cfm
                      Kind of pointless without referencing the buildings around the new buildings.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

You should be able to figure out the existing buildings ... Brown Hall, Grove etc. At the end of the clip, Grove disappears and the "quad" is revealed (Grove eventually will be demolished)

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          Kind of pointless without referencing the buildings around the new buildings.
                          I kind of agree. I was lost as to the location on campus when I watched it.

Haven't been on campus in almost 5 years. Gonna be headed through next week. Can't wait to see the new buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post

I posted this awhile ago, on this thread

Comment

Any Idea what the total number of students living on campus will get up too with these dorms? When I was there in 2000 They were cramming students in day rooms in the dorms and hotels etc because there were not enough dorm rooms. Glad then are building enough. How much do colleges charge for living in dorms and is there are lot of money to make from students living in the dorms? Didnt know if anyone had any kind of break down on the numbers there.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Part of the plan is to build some capacity into the system so that we can avoid using dayrooms or other overflow facilities. More rooms will be used a single-resident rooms (Hanson Hall, I understand, will be single-rooms) so if and when there is a bump in new freshman, rooms made for two can be returned to two to handle the crowd. Don't quote me on this but the new dorms will be a net addition of something approaching 200 beds even though the actual beds in the new facilities will approach 800.

Comment

Working...
                                X