Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More new dorms

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    Actually I like Abbott Hall for a dorm name... Cleveland "Cleve" Abbott was an SDSU legend in the early 20th Century and later became a coach and Athletic Director at the Tuskegee University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_L._Abbott

Josef L. Thorne was an all-conference football player for SDSU and was drafted to play pro football. But he served in the Army as a Lieutenant and was killed in Vietnam in 1965.

http://www.sdvietnamwarmemorial.com/thornejosef.htm

I'm not sure who Spencer Hall is named for... suggestions??

Never hurts to remember one's history.
    I meant the directional dorm names. I like that they are named after SDSU historical figures. Those are the Dorm and buildings we need more of.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Visitors still need to get around and have places to park. there arent really many roads in campus but I can see closing off a few of them not being an issue.
      You made reference to the elimination of current parking lots on campus. I explained what I've been told as a reason for that. Didn't say I supported the decision nor do I have more details than to say, parking is going to be available on the outskirts of campus with the option to walk or ride to the final destination. I believe there will be a toll lot or metered parking near the bookstore although it will be limited. Employees and students of SDSU will not be parking in the center of campus, that includes dorm residents. I assume there will be "drop off zones" with time limits as well. Its part of the necessary evolution with the continued growth of the institution.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I meant the directional dorm names. I like that they are named after SDSU historical figures. Those are the Dorm and buildings we need more of.
        Ah... I see. I just saw the new ones that are up and I figured you were lumping all of those in one. Yeah, I'm sure the directional ones will have new names eventually. They're probably just placeholder names until they decide with historical figure, former administrator, or big donor they'll name them after.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          You made reference to the elimination of current parking lots on campus. I explained what I've been told as a reason for that. Didn't say I supported the decision nor do I have more details than to say, parking is going to be available on the outskirts of campus with the option to walk or ride to the final destination. I believe there will be a toll lot or metered parking near the bookstore although it will be limited. Employees and students of SDSU will not be parking in the center of campus, that includes dorm residents. I assume there will be "drop off zones" with time limits as well. Its part of the necessary evolution with the continued growth of the institution.
          I never said anything about if you did or did not support. I just mentionted that SDSU would need to keep parking, available for the dorms and for visitors. Having enough parking needs to be part of their growth also. I would assume they have accounted for that.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

The University has spent a lot of time studying and working on Master Plans. These Master Plans are used to drive the decision making process to make SDSU a better place and I would encourage anyone who wants to know the direction that SDSU is headed to spend a little time reading. It is all out there, this has been and continues to be a very transparent process with lots of opportunity for input. This week the University is hosting another Campus Community forum and this month the University is hosting listening sessions all over the state, where SDSU leaders travel to the stakeholders to hear their opinions about the job that SDSU is doing and the direction we are heading in.

Here is a link that should answer the questions about facility placement and parking:

http://www.sdstate.edu/president/facilities/index.cfm

Hope this helps.

Go State!

Comment

This link below tells about the last three residence halls that were named after SDSU alumni and yes the directional names on the halls under construction are working names. Their will be a process that includes SD Board of Regents approval that will give the halls permanent names.

http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/jackrabbitvillage.cfm

Go State!

Comment

I never said anything about if you did or did not support. I just mentionted that SDSU would need to keep parking, available for the dorms and for visitors. Having enough parking needs to be part of their growth also. I would assume they have accounted for that.
                I would argue that parking has been cheap and plentiful at State. When I was finishing up my BS I was also working. I would run back and forth from work to class, sometimes a ffew times a day (thank you Don Bender for the flexability). I never had a problem finding parking, usually in the SW corner and a walk across Medary to Sheppard.

At that time I also lived quite close to campus on east 8th in an apartment building within spitting distance of married housing. My neighbors were 4 young ladies. These 4 each drove to class every day, and complained about the "parking problem." From what I could tell, the only problem with parking was that there wasn't enough at the front door of the Rotunda.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                  From what I could tell, the only problem with parking was that there wasn't enough at the front door of the Rotunda.
                  Exactly. Students will complain about parking until they can park in their classroom.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I would argue that parking has been cheap and plentiful at State. When I was finishing up my BS I was also working. I would run back and forth from work to class, sometimes a ffew times a day (thank you Don Bender for the flexability). I never had a problem finding parking, usually in the SW corner and a walk across Medary to Sheppard.

At that time I also lived quite close to campus on east 8th in an apartment building within spitting distance of married housing. My neighbors were 4 young ladies. These 4 each drove to class every day, and complained about the "parking problem." From what I could tell, the only problem with parking was that there wasn't enough at the front door of the Rotunda.
                    And now these ladies are fighting the battle of the bulge. Aerobics and walking are probably now on their daily agenda.

Comment

I don't know when you graduated but a lot has changed and the parking situation is still changing every year.
                      I think the first move was to change several of the commuter lots to reserved. That change moved the price for parking in about 500 parking slots from $120 to $240. After that, they planted grass in the lot right next to Ag Hall and the Barn(on the south side). They don't have money but they are tearing up perfectly good lots to plant grass. Also, there is no parking on Medary anymore.
                      Last edited by 91jack; 05-10-2012, 07:02 AM. Reason: it cut off

Comment

You can't find a spot on campus from 9:30-2:00. The only real chance you have a finding a spot during these times is about 5 minutes before the top of the hour which means you will have to hall butt to get to class on time. Any other time of the day you can generally find a spot in whatever lot you like other than the Union lot.

SDSU has spent this whole school year adding on to what is known as "Rape" Lot on the eastside of campus, this parking is for the dorm kids. SDSU is going to tear up the Union Lot and Brown Lot this summer for construction of the the new dorms and Union expansion.

One of the dumbest moves by SDSU this year was when they wasted $60,000 trying to make the Union Lot a pay toll lot. It was like $2-3 an hour....at any given time their would only be 3-5 cars in the entire lot. Students weren't really willing to pay extra money to park on top of their $240 parking pass. This only lasted like roughly a month.

Comment

If your expectation is to have a spot right outside your dorm and right beside every classroom you need to change your expectations. Campus is closing to parking and that needed to happen a long time ago. Lots will be on the outskirts of campus with limited parking in the center of campus. Parking was terrible when I was student in the early 90's and enrollment has increased by 4,000 since then. It has to be nearly impossible as it is now. I sure wouldn't like it if I was a student but by the time my kids are at SDSU it will be the norm.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

When I was in the dorm in the year 2000(cue conan obrien voice). I along with many of my friends didnt have our own car at college for the fact we either car pooled or have available transportation. Those who had cars in the Dorms were almost impossible to find parking. Add 3 or more more new dorms over by Young and Beienwies(SP) and the "rape" lot would need to expand and take out all the inturmural fields. I am fine with parking on the out skirts for commuters, I parked by the football stadium or behind the library when I commuted and rarely had problems, I am more concerned for visitors to be able to have appropriate parking. Students are not my concern. If I am not mistaken but for years the idea of building a parking ramp on campus was discussed but due to costs it would not be worth it. With the growth of students, say in 10 years we are at 15000 plus students, a parking ramp might seem like a worthwhile venture because there is simply going to run out of land and green space for new building and parking for new dorms.

Comment

When I was in the dorm in the year 2000(cue conan obrien voice). I along with many of my friends didnt have our own car at college for the fact we either car pooled or have available transportation. Those who had cars in the Dorms were almost impossible to find parking. Add 3 or more more new dorms over by Young and Beienwies(SP) and the "rape" lot would need to expand and take out all the inturmural fields. I am fine with parking on the out skirts for commuters, I parked by the football stadium or behind the library when I commuted and rarely had problems, I am more concerned for visitors to be able to have appropriate parking. Students are not my concern. If I am not mistaken but for years the idea of building a parking ramp on campus was discussed but due to costs it would not be worth it. With the growth of students, say in 10 years we are at 15000 plus students, a parking ramp might seem like a worthwhile venture because there is simply going to run out of land and green space for new building and parking for new dorms.
                              Great points and I am certain they are being considered. I think a tastefully done parking ramp (i.e. not one like those in downtown Sioux Falls) is a great idea. Who has the cash and wants the naming rights?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Great points and I am certain they are being considered. I think a tastefully done parking ramp (i.e. not one like those in downtown Sioux Falls) is a great idea. Who has the cash and wants the naming rights?
                                I hear doctors make pretty good coin.

Comment

Working...
                                X