Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argus series on D-I transition (SDSU, USD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus series on D-I transition (SDSU, USD)

Finding a new frontier

Familiar challenges await

Coaches adjust lives to higher level

USD blends veteran coaches, new faces

Since the Argus seems bound and determined to compare and contrast SDSU's successful transition with USD's nascent one:

I find it curious that USD has basically told the Board of Regents to go pound sand regarding meeting all three prongs of the Title IX tests. Or maybe the BOR has realized that requiring a school to meet all three prongs is a bit excessive. Still, it's curious.

Also, it says something, although I don't know what, that USD is apparently turning over more than half of their programs' coaches this year, even before playing a minute of D-I competition.

All in all, I still would much rather be where SDSU is right now than where USD is right now.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Argus series on D-I transition (SDSU, USD)

Filbert I think anyone would agree they would rather be where we are at than where our friends to the south are at. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for each of us as well as future years. I am feeling very good abot where the program is at at this point in the transition.

I also am very appreciative for the coverage that Terry V has brought to the program. For those of you who see the coverage on-line, it is hard to get a feel for the magnitude of this particular series. The combined articles amounted to 3.5 pages of newsprint. I don't remember that large of a commitment to any local topic before. (The olympics had a 4 page special section earlier this week.) Although there was probably no information that was really new to those who follow the Jacks closely, it was good to see it all brought together. I am looking forward to tomorrow's addition to see what conclusions may be brought out.

The attention is not hurting SDSU in other areas either. My rumor mill says we are probably looking at another record size freshmen class which will probably translate into another record overall enrollment. I would not be surprised to see us top 12,000.

Thanks again to T.V.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Finding a new frontier

Since the Argus seems bound and determined to compare and contrast SDSU's successful transition with USD's nascent one:

I find it curious that USD has basically told the Board of Regents to go pound sand regarding meeting all three prongs of the Title IX tests. Or maybe the BOR has realized that requiring a school to meet all three prongs is a bit excessive. Still, it's curious.

Also, it says something, although I don't know what, that USD is apparently turning over more than half of their programs' coaches this year, even before playing a minute of D-I competition.

All in all, I still would much rather be where SDSU is right now than where USD is right now.

I was thinking the same thing but why should they be held to the more strict policy of the BOR when USD was the driving force behind the BOR incorporating the three prong test.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rabbit74;84421]The attention is not hurting SDSU in other areas either. My rumor mill says we are probably looking at another record size freshmen class which will probably translate into another record overall enrollment. I would not be surprised to see us top 12,000.
        QUOTE]

I agree. My daughter is going to be a sophmore this coming school year and she has been contacted several times by residence services about looking for off-campus housing. Looks like a sign that things will be packed out this year.

Comment

Two things I noticed:

First, there's no comparison between T.V. and Mick Garry. You definitely got the best of that pair. In fact, I'm coming down to kidnap T.V. and bring him back to Fargo where he belongs.

Second, the similarity in coaching retention is interesting between the xDSUs & the UxDs. UND is also having trouble holding onto their coaches, while NDSU is doing pretty well. I wonder if it's just coincidence or something more. All four schools have a similar turnover looking back 10 years, but USD has lost almost twice as many coaches as NDSU & SDSU within the last five(UND was somewhat worse than the xDSUs). In the last two years, things are very ugly for the UxDs, especially USD.

Rough Numbers:
          Code:
          % Lost	 NDSU	SDSU	UND	USD
          10 year	 79%	71%	67%	80%
          5  year	 43%	41%	50%	80%
          2  year	 21%	18%	39%	53%
          1  year	  7%	 6%	28%	53%
          yes, I have too much time on my hands

Comment

Finding a new frontier

Dont want to appear as a defender of the BOR, but like everyone else, they have had the opportunity to see how the D1 transition works and when that policy was put in place, there were skeptics among the BOR, and Harvey Jewett was very vocal as I recall saying SDSU would have to cut programs in athletics if they could not raise the funds. Mr. Jewett is a USD grad, but I believe he has a number of interests in Aberdeen besides practicing law and has been part of that community for a long time, so if he has favorites among the six SD institutions it is USD and NSU, probably not SDSU.

The big thing mentioned by AD Neilsen is that USD would be within the boundries of federal law in regards to Title IX. If that is the case, I think we can see the BOR making an exception to USD, thats what I see in on the horizon. Its sucks, since USD got tobacco money to finish the roof on the dump, and now the BOR will give them some special waivers that SDSU did not get. Where does it end? I guess SDSU as a community continues to build a bright future despite the favoritism as I see it.

I agree, I would rather be part of SDSU vision than that of the red one south of Brookings.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jack4Life;84424]
              Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
              The attention is not hurting SDSU in other areas either. My rumor mill says we are probably looking at another record size freshmen class which will probably translate into another record overall enrollment. I would not be surprised to see us top 12,000.
              QUOTE]

I agree. My daughter is going to be a sophmore this coming school year and she has been contacted several times by residence services about looking for off-campus housing. Looks like a sign that things will be packed out this year.
              They are also looking at building a new dorm.....as the contacted my firm looking for interest from us. One of the principals was asking me some questions about the campus and such.

Comment

Ahhh ... the difference between leaders and followers.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                  Two things I noticed:

First, there's no comparison between T.V. and Mick Garry. You definitely got the best of that pair. In fact, I'm coming down to kidnap T.V. and bring him back to Fargo where he belongs.

Second, the similarity in coaching retention is interesting between the xDSUs & the UxDs. UND is also having trouble holding onto their coaches, while NDSU is doing pretty well. I wonder if it's just coincidence or something more. All four schools have a similar turnover looking back 10 years, but USD has lost almost twice as many coaches as NDSU & SDSU within the last five(UND was somewhat worse than the xDSUs). In the last two years, things are very ugly for the UxDs, especially USD.

Rough Numbers:
                  Code:
                  % Lost	 NDSU	SDSU	UND	USD
                  10 year	 79%	71%	67%	80%
                  5  year	 43%	41%	50%	80%
                  2  year	 21%	18%	39%	53%
                  1  year	  7%	 6%	28%	53%
                  yes, I have too much time on my hands
                  When you look at those numbers it doesn't surprise me. I DON'T MEAN THIS AS SMACK. Vermillion just doesn't have nearly as much to offer residents/faculty/students as any of the other three. In fact it isn't even close in my opinion. I think that is a huge factor when it comes to retention for USD. A coach comes in and is excited about the job and after a year or two may start looking to find a similar situation in a different town.

To really look at it, the thing that should be looked at is where are the coaches going? Are they advancing to better opportunities, making lateral moves, or getting out of USD? That would be telling but I'm not going to spend the time on that. Maybe one of our esteemed 'Yote lovers could be of service there for a change.

Like I said, don't mean it as smack on Vermillion but it has to be a factor.

It's good to be an SDSU fan and it is good to be a Brookings resident.

GB, BG, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I know a lot of people from USD are trying to state that the transition of SDSU will be similar to USD, but I'm not sure I would totally agree. When SDSU entered the transition, the NCAA was still allowing new schools to enter the D-1 level. Now the NCAA has a moratorium on letting new schools transition to D-1. There will be no more new schools entering D-1 as independants. I think the moratorium will actually hurt some of the independant teams in a few years. Right now there are 11 independant teams at D-1. Assuming that each year this number will decrease because they are either absorbed by other conferences or they decide that it is not worth it and return to D-2 status. Either way, if the influx of new schools is stopped, then it will become more and more difficult to schedule teams as the independant teams become fewer and fewer over time.

I think that the game has changed with the moratorium issue and I'm not sure how this will all play out, but it can't be a good thing for the 11 independant teams. If in 5 years there are only 5 or 6 teams that are independant, I would not want to be one of those teams. That would be a very difficult situation.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Now this is funny...I have recently learned that the USD football team is going to play North Greenville University in Tigerville, SC on November 1...and the team is going in real Division I style! They are taking the team in buses.

Anybody interested in attending the game and enjoying the 1210-mile (each way) trip to catch this exciting game between NGU, a Division II school with an enrollment of 1,900, could probably check to see if the Coyotes are taking a fan bus along. I know the players would like some company as they enjoy their 38-hour ride!

And another interesting tidbit floating around is that USD offered Dakota Wesleyan $25,000 to come over and play a football game in the Dome, and they got turned down. Gosh, did I miss that in Stu Whitney's column???
                      Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 08-12-2008, 07:11 AM. Reason: Correct date

Comment

Seriously? I would like to know if that were true. wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          Now this is funny...I have recently learned that the USD football team is going to play North Greenville University in Tigerville, SC on November 21...and the team is going in real Division I style! They are taking the team in buses.

Anybody interested in attending the game and enjoying the 1210-mile (each way) trip to catch this exciting game between NGU, a Division II school with an enrollment of 1,900, could probably check to see if the Coyotes are taking a fan bus along. I know the players would like some company as they enjoy their 38-hour ride!

And another interesting tidbit floating around is that USD offered Dakota Wesleyan $25,000 to come over and play a football game in the Dome, and they got turned down. Gosh, did I miss that in Stu Whitney's column???
                          Only thing that could make it worse would be to have to ride on Jackrabbit Bus Line bus all the way.

There were a couple of other articles on the tranisition in the Argus today:

Jacks aim to boost staff, facilities SDSU:
                          http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...808110322/1002

Coyotes make leap before NCAA steps in:
                          http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...808110331/1002

Also, there was a third article that both TV and Mick Garry wrote that had to do with the rivalry between the two schools. That is posted at the link below:

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...4436#post84436

All of the articles in the series are well written.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Monday's articles:

Where has the rivalry gone?

Jacks aim to boost staff, facilities

Coyotes make leap before NCAA steps in

And SuperBunny beats me by one minute!
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Now this is funny...I have recently learned that the USD football team is going to play North Greenville University in Tigerville, SC on November 21...and the team is going in real Division I style! They are taking the team in buses.

I heard both of those stories, too from a non-SDSU source who is in a good position to know what's up at USD.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X