Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will NDSU and SDSU be playing UND and USD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will NDSU and SDSU be playing UND and USD?

If you found that info online, could you post a link or describe where you found it? It's good info and I'd like to use the site in the future. In any case, you're correct about the point being moot now that IPFW is two years away from core status in the worst case. The Summit is still in the danger zone for one more year due to the five-year continuity requirement, but that would be the case regardless if IPFW was a core member now or in two years.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I should have posted a reference the first time, sorry. Here they are.

http://gomastodons.cstv.com/auto_pdf.../NCAASelfStudy

This is a very long document. Look on page 3 answer to question 5 at the top of the page.

http://gomastodons.cstv.com/auto_pdf.../NCAASelfStudy

This is from the minutes of the Dec. 04, 2000 NCAA Management Council/Board of Directors Meeting. See Section 2 Item 2 or do a word search for "fort Wayne."

Comment

Well, I don't think you meant to include the same link twice, but I figured out where on the NCAA website you were at. Those pages might be very useful in the future; thanks again.

I think those reports show that IPFW does fall under the April 27, 2000 exception. Here's why:

In the July 2000 meeting, the Management Council lays out three criteria for exceptions to the moritorium that went into effect on April 27th.

1. Prior to April 12, 2000, clear written or oral manifestation to the NCAA of the institution’s intent to begin the reclassification/multidivisional classification compliance period in the 2000-01 academic year;

2. Acknowledgement of such manifestation from the NCAA National Office; and

3. Reasonable reliance by the institution on this acknowledgement that potentially operated to the detriment of the institution.
        During that July meeting, the council denies IPFW's request saying they hadn't met the three criteria.
        (b) Denied a request from Indiana University-Purdue University, Fort Wayne, for an exception to the membership moratorium as the institution had not forwarded clear notification to the National Office prior to April 12, 2000, declaring its intent to begin to reclassify to Division I in the 2000-01 academic year and also did not satisfy the other criteria set forth above. (Unanimous Voice Vote.)
        However, in a conference call following the next meeting in October, the council reversed its decision after receiving additional info from IPFW.
        The committee approved an appeal from Indiana University-Purdue University, Fort Wayne for an exception to the membership moratorium. The institution had submitted, with its appeal of an earlier denial of a request for an exception to the moratorium, information indicating that the institution met the three criteria used to evaluate all exception requests.
        The final line about IPFW meeting the three criteria must mean that IPFW submitted paperwork prior to April 12, declaring their intent to move to DI.

Checkmate? (I've been working at this way too long.)

Anyway, thanks for all the help and I'm sorry for this boring tangent.
        Last edited by Hammersmith; 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM.

Comment

No apologies needed...this has been an interesting discussion and I, for one, am appreciative of the information provided by those of you who are knowledgeable in the area, and willing to do the legwork. After all, one can always skip over the posts if they aren't interested. THANKS!

Comment

There was a nice article written by Terry Vandrovec and Mick Garry that talked about the rivalry between SDSU and USD. The link is below. I thought it was a good read and detailed some of the reasons behind why it isn't being played without getting into the real "crap" that went on. Mainly focuses on the scheduling challenges that make it difficult. There are good quotes from both Fred Oien and Joel Nielsen.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...G05fOdCFkr8%3D

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
            X