Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Craig and Mike Show KWSN SIOUX FALLS

Originally posted by Mike_H
    SDSUfan: I am on here now so I can speak for myself. :-)

Jack: I am glad you brought up that point about MAKING them the flagship! That is a great point and a worthy goal.

Filbert: A gross miscalculation by the leadership at SDSU. No one in Minnesota or Nebraska is going D1 other than the major university in those states. D1 Hockey is as far as it will ever get. And the University of North Dakota is going to be at the level Ralph Ingelstad, and now his will, tells them they are going to be.

SDSUfan: Manhatten is making one trip here with a basketball team. A school in a conference will make several trips to Brookings with football, softball, baseball, etc., and the cost will add up. Also, in basketball and football, non-conference schools play for a guaranteed amount of money so they pick up a check on the way out the door. In a conference, that is not the case. Travel is subsidized by the conference at the end of the year from general revenue, assuming there is any left over.

Also, I could email you all of our interviews but your computer would shut down. Feel free to email my buddy Ron Lenz if you need to verify the fact that I am not just making stuff up about our coverage. Ask him about how he has helped me get ahold of Denny Womoldorf (who knew there were actual pharmacists at Wall Drug?), Guy Mackner, Mark Tetzlaff, and others. Or better yet, you could just ask someone who listens to the show.
    Mike:
    Yes speak for your self and show us your real feelings about SDSU. I dont think anyone is going to be surprised since you have public air waves daily, and get your negatives in daily.

As far as getting all the past interviews I will take your word for it, but most of them I am sure include all your little hits so I will let that one go and spare myself of the digs toward the visionary leadership at SDSU.

I believe that you have followed the NCC too long and that appears in your mind the only way of life. If so I let that stand. You can make a silk purse of a sow's ear and this cliche really makes since since the NCC now has only 4 wrestling teams and two or three for swiming etc etc. Hopefuly more UMD are in the good fit for the NCC.

UMD btw has a little of a challenge in football since the NSIC has a cap on football scholarships. I believe the number is 21 and to all of sudden pull up to 36, we are talking real money here too. Where is their wrestling and swimming? But Hot damn they got hockey .

I think everyone who has posted on this thread has explained why they are still supporting SDSU in their move to D1. As you said on the radio, the debate is over and you suggested that all the angry out of state SDSU alums should pony up some contributions since SDSU needs the money. Well I believe that suggestion is very much in action. So now what ???

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I have never listened to the Craid and Mike Show, nor do I plan to since I live in the Twin Cities and listen to KFAN. Also, I support SDSU's DI move wholly as has been stated in my past posts.

What bothers me about this thread is that while trying to be civil in some cases, our devout SDSU DI supporters find ways to continually take shots at Mike. I had the opportunity back in 2002 when we sold out the USD game for the first time to sit in the press box at Frost Arena and do an interview with Mike and Craig live on the air. I also on a few occasions did on air interviews with them during football season during Hobo Week. In these opportunities I came to the conclusion that Craig and Mike are (to borrow from the boys at KFAN) sports rubes. They love sports, love talking sports, work to gain knowledge about sports, and at times probably like to stir up some controversey. And judging by this thread, they have stirred up SDSU fans and gotten a reaction which probably has everyone at the KWSN office chuckling on a daily basis either reading the emails sent to Mike, or now reading this chat board.

I think it's great that we have this chat board to discuss our beloved SDSU and we are all making efforts to help people see the reason for the DI move. Not having listened to Craig and Mike I don't know what they have said on air in regard to our move to DI. The thing is if they speak in a negative tone, maybe the best thing to do is contact Keith, Fred or Ron Lenz and say "look, can you make an effort to correct an inaccurate statement made on the air waves". An attempt to educate rather than hate will do us much more good. As you can see by some of Mike's posts, he can see our side of things, but still has his doubts. Maybe he wasn't fully aware of the fund raising efforts in place, or atleast didn't know how successful they've been to this point.

To Mike, don't get too sucked into this discussion unless you're prepared to defend yourself over and over and over.

SDSUFAN - you're comment on UMD and football scholarships seems a little hypocritical. The fact that the NSIC capped scholarships at 21 and the NCC allows 36 is the same as SDSU being capped at 36 at DII and now being allowed 65 at DIAA. UMD either won't jump to 36, or has a plan in place to get there, just like SDSU. Besides, they've done pretty good beating NCC teams in the last few years (see St. Cloud and Mankato).

Comment

Luv,

Very astute observations. I'm sure Mike appreciates the heads-up. Let me add a couple of my own. I won't number them as they have no order.

Hatred is almost always illogical. Its not the opposite of love as many may believe. Apathy towards USD athletics (not the institution) would be more appropriate at this juncture.

The Fighting Sioux are just as disliked as the Coyotes on this board. However, the relationship is nothing like that between NDSU and UND. Check out the smack board at Bisonville if you need confirmation of this.

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...pl?board=smack

Many of us are still interested in the NCC and its member schools. You can bet were lurking on several boards where DII discussions are taking place. Some of us are even posting there.

We now have 159 members on this board. If you look at the top 15 posters, its clear that there are a few of us more interested in the forum than others. In fact, one of the top 15 is a Georgia Southern smack talking rube and another is a Bison fan.

Several members of the media visit this forum. Only a few have exposed there identity. Many more visit as guests, which I appreciate.

USD, UNO, SCSU, etc.. fans are here and I wish they would participate actively. However, I think sometimes our members are a little too harsh in their replies. (UND fans just aren't interested, appropriately, as NDSU fans couldn't care less about USD).

I believe every current NCC member, with the exception of Augie and the newcomer UMD, want to be DI universities. Its not financially possible for USD and MSUM at this time. The state of MN is not interested in any more DI schools and UNO is waiting for UND to make the move. UND senses no urgency and will move up in due time.

SDSU needed to make this move now. Without the medical school, law school, and business school that USD holds, the designation as the "flagship" university was always a little bit in question. Not the case any longer, not by a long shot. USD does not need the DI affiliation to continue to thrive as a comprehensive doctoral granting institution with undergraduate programs geered towards filling their graduate schools. Funding will always be there for graduate studies. The increased exposure at DI will only improve SDSU's ability to secure research dollars (It can't get any worse).

I spin my posts with a "fatherly" tone because I don't have the facts that 89 and other posters possess. I'm kind of new to this fanatical support of SDSU. I never thought SDSU would be my major "charitable" contribution for the year, but here I am.

Lastly, something has happened to luv sometime in his life and it has made him a bitter man who prefers to satirize as opposed to expressing his own ideas. Not sure what I would rather be, fatherly or satirical, doesn't matter because we are who we are.

At USD I learned a bit about psychology and I think Freud would have some interesting things to say about us all. It amazing what could be learned just by observing a person's observations in this forum.

Lastly, it would be greatly appreciated if Mike could keep us up-to-date about potential future interview candidates. Perhaps the BSC commish or someone else from the BSC who might be in the know. I would clear my calender and tune in for that.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy
          SDSUFAN - you're comment on UMD and football scholarships seems a little hypocritical.  The fact that the NSIC capped scholarships at 21 and the NCC allows 36 is the same as SDSU being capped at 36 at DII and now being allowed 65 at DIAA.  UMD either won't jump to 36, or has a plan in place to get there, just like SDSU. Besides, they've done pretty good beating NCC teams in the last few years (see St. Cloud and Mankato).
          Let me explain, Mike said last week in many comments about SDSU, that UMD was a good fit for the NCC and SDSU in effect was not a good fit for any D1 confernce.
          This is what we are talking about. Yes UMD has played the NCC close with limited scholarships, and its similiar to Winona in that they got an excellent coaching staff.
          There was one staff member from UMD that used to post over on D2football.com. He said that UMD had lost several players to SDSU because of having maybe as little as 800 dollars a year more than what UMD had to offer.

I dont think that is being hypcritical. I am challenging Mike's comment that UMD is a good fit for the NCC. If you look at UMD website, their offering of sports is just minimum for D2. Also one thing that Marcil did not mention in his interview on KWSN, was the fact that the NCC now has to find non-conference opponents to fill in for the departuare of SDSU and NDSU in such sports such as in wrestling, swimming and tennis. Yet those who remain in the NCC assert the NCC is as strong as ever. Talk about the Emporer wearing no clothes, that challenge for the NCC was not disclosed last week.

Marcil and KWSN did not discuss the impact on minor sports, but when Marcil talks to the St Cloud paper later in the week, these problems were brought up. Maybe coincident, but I am hardly being hypocritical in bringing this up.

Next to last place USD did beat UMD last year in football last year. MSU-M is hardly a good NCC opponent when they are offering less than 30 scholarships because of the budgeting eating sport called hockey. So the remaining members and their problems are more exposed with the departure of NDSU and SDSU.

My point is that UMD has as much as a struggle in making waves in the NCC has SDSU has in its challenge.

I am sure UMD does have a plan, but they should not have that much of challenge when they are located in a city of 200,000 plus. Read some of Mikes post's here and he implies that SDSU does not have a concentrated population base and does not have a media source such as the Argus Leader.

Both St Cloud and Duluth have population bases that far exceed the immediate area, Brookings, but these large population bases dont translate into automatic success in filling the staduims and arenas for revenue sports. Ask Sac State and Portland State that as they as rumored to depart from the Big Sky. Whats it like to have 1500 attendence at the Portland Rose Garden and the rent is x dollars? Lot of enhencements in other sports are dead on arrival in order to pay the Rose Garden rent.

So that kind of brings us back to the long trip between Sioux Falls and Brookings. Having a state wide following , SDSU is always the biggest game in town for South Dakota and as the Carr report recommends games in Sioux Falls can only enhence that following.

SDSU to its credit as you know Catchem has several plans and thats why I am not worried.

I getting to the point where those who want to cast doubts can if thats what they want. If I were to contact Fred or Keith, I dont think they would get too excited and mostly likely their reply would be to let it go. So that where I am right now. The Craig and Mike Show will go on since they got their advertisers and KWSN has a FCC license to broadcast. I feel better in venting my views, but I dont think I changed anyone's mind.

What happens in the HPER Department is really going to count, and again I have no fears in what they will accompolish.

As humorous as it as played out, I do think the equestrian sport will be very successful. Some people love horses more than football and to bring them to the SDSU family will only make the family circle larger.

I going to sit back and read what every one else has to say. ;D ;D

Comment

I'd consider it more of a noble effort than a gross miscalculation. I don't think there were any illusions about the political strength of UNL and the U of M in blocking the way to D-I status for other state institutions. Given that SDSU's administration determined that the institution's proper classification was D-I, it was a reasonable (if doomed) proposal to try to bring the rest of the NCC along.

Filbert: A fair point. You are also apparently an outstanding judge of talent. Just kidding. The interview with Denny was a pleasure. He told me off the air he did not have much to say, and then we talked for half an hour! And you are right. It is a great time to have a radio talk show. Heck, in this state you can still fire up the phones by bringing up the 3 class basketball system!

Joe: Spend money and be patient.

89 rabbit: That was my point when it comes to comparing schools. Having "State" at the end of your name does not make you special, nor does being "The University of" whatever. What you do with what you choose is what sets you apart.

luv: That is the funniest post I have read in a longtime! Very well done and it saves me a few words. I do have one question tho. If I were to call SDSUFAN a moron, would I do that here, or do I have to go to the Smack board?

There is a quote on one of the other subjects here that frightened me, and has always frightened me about the future of a tax supported institution. I am paraphrasing a little because I can't find the direct quote and I have to get back to work, but the general statement had to do with "trusting the leadership to know what is best for the future". That is how you end up in Guana with a glass of Kool-aid in your hand or buying matching Nike's and viels with your housemates. I am not an FES guy by any means, but questions should always be asked!

Comment

Mike,

Your presence on the board certainly has livened things up. This is appreciated during the off season when things can be a little slow. I agree with you that questioning leadership is important. As Chris Solari of the Argus told me “With greater coverage, comes greater scrutiny” and that is fair. My question for you is have we answered to your satisfaction what SDSU brings to the table (as far as a potential Conference is concerned)? Do you feel comfortable with the direction that my alma mater is taking and can you support our decision to move to an athletic classification of D-I? If not please let us know the questions or concerns that you have and we will do our best to answer them for you.

Go State! ;D

P.S. As a rule we frown on personal attacks on any forum (not to say that they don’t happen, but we try and be civil on this board) there is more leeway given on the Smack forum. Please see the Call for Moderation at the top of the smack forum.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1089739097

Comment

Occasional cheap shots are tolerated. After all, Craig and Mike have taken a bunch behind their backs (along with many others). They should be allowed to retaliate if desired. Most of us are big boys and we understand the sticks and stones of life. Single caveat, if you want to dish it out....
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

As for luv's list, other than #1 he pretty much nailed it.

As for what SDSU can bring to a conference, that has been well documented, but can best be summed up by having another great program.

In regards to the "show me the money" question, you can't do major development that way. As for an example of how not to do fundraising, check out the U of M and how it handled the money that should be in their pocket from Mr. Sanford.

You cannot go public with money if it is on terms you don't like. You can work it behind the scenes to leverage the pledge to get guaranteed money from other donors. Once you have locked up significant gifts, then you go public to use that as a driving force to get more. As was pointed out earlier, SDSU has already made it to the halfway point on the scholarship money, which is very good for this type of drive.

And as for the coverage provided by the majority of the media in SD, I would say this: Just because you cover an event does not mean that you can claim to have coverd it fairly. As an example, both CNN and FOX News were at the recent Democratic convention. Both claim that they did not put any spin on their coverage, however objective viewers would probably say that they both put spin on it.

As for my comment about posing the rhetorical question what do the Jacks have to offer conferences like the ACC, SEC, etc., my point was not that the implication that the Jacks were applying to conferences of that stature. It was that you both fall back on that response far too often.

As for the reduction of scholarships being a non-issue, I completely disagree. Other threads go through the reasons for that, and the fact that the history of D2 is to reduce football scholarships, there is no reason not to expect it to happen again. If I recall, the last time it failed by six votes, and with approximately 30 new members since then (most in conferences with stricter limits). I would think the odds are in favor that it will happen the next time it is up.

And finally, welcome to the Board. I think you will find this a place to get a lot of information. Many posts come with links to reports and items around the country and are quite informative. While you may not think it from my posts, I do think you guys do a great job on high school sports (I'm from SF and I listen on topics that I'm interested in, no interest in Canaries or Skyforce, but also like Stampede and Storm). I've lived in Twin Cities, Omaha, KC, and Des Moines also. You guys on the high school scene are probably the first or second best program I've heard, primarily because you cover such a wide variety of programs, not just the SF schools.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

* edited by the moderator*

Please take the Political stuff elsewhere.

Comment

*edited by poster*

I agree that political banter should not be included on a sports chatboard.

Comment

* edited by the moderator*

Please take the Political stuff elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                          He reminds me of many people I know from Missouri.  Missouri is the "Show Me State", you can't tell someone from MO anything you have to show them.  SDSU is going to have to show Mike before he will change his mind.  
                          Actually, I always heard that Missouri is the "Show me again, but this time a little slower" state. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by tony

Better yet, stick to SDSU v USD. One of these schools has Purdue, Oklahoma State, and San Diego State on the schedule. The other has schools like Upper Iowa and UW LaCrosse when they used to play Wyoming for gosh sakes.

And it's not like USD didn't want to go DI... they were right there with NDSU and SDSU but dropped out. Personally, I think it was because of the same Title IX problems that caused them to drop baseball and cut their football roster rather than them realizing the "empreror had no clothes."

Here is a list of the DI opponents SDSU basketball teams will play (so far) this year:

Men:

1. Butler
                            2. Manhattan
                            3. Wisconsin-Milwaukee
                            4. Southeast Missouri State
                            5. Denver
                            6. Tennessee State
                            7. San Diego State
                            8. North Dakota State
                            9. Missouri-Kansas City
                            10. Arkansas State

Women:

1. Rutgers
                            2. Kentucky
                            3. Oregon State
                            4. Northern Illinois
                            5. Texas State
                            6. USC
                            7. Purdue
                            8. Oklahoma State
                            9. Wisconsin-Milwaukee
                            10. Wisconsin-Green Bay
                            11. North Dakota State
                            12. Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne
                            13. Middle Tennessee State

That is a REALLY impressive list!

Our Coaching staffs have done a REMARKABLE job of lining up OUTSTANDING schedules for our first year at DI. Some of those schools will be visiting Frost Arena next year!

I am am excited about the future of SDSU Basketball!
                            I believe our teams will surprise a lot of people in DI, this year!

JBNJBQ

Comment

JBNJBQ: I agree. That is a much more impressive list than the one the other guy came up with for a new basketball conference. And it seems it will get easier to schedule as time goes along.

Comment

Regarding your question to me, Mike: You better hit the smack board with your assessement of SDSUFAN. I'd repeat your exact question, but that, of course, would constitute implied "smack" if not outright "smack" and that stuff doesn't fly on this "thread".

As for my richly deserved "semi-smack" response from the hero of the board, Jackmd, I have to concur with his prognosis of my emotional well-being.

Indeed, something happened to me earlier in my life whereby I don't take myself too seriously all the time. I can't remember exactly where the breakdown came......was it the time my dear mother soaked my pet rabbit with bourbon and set the little guy afire? Maybe. Or was it when my father and brother pointed to that old utility plant near New Effington and told me it was all that was left of "Six Flags over South Dakota?"

Comment

Working...
                                X