Favorite place in Brookings to get a beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite place in Brookings to get a beer

Being a great fan of beverages containing the 2 carbon fragment known as EtOH I must give my two cents.

I resided in Brookings from 1991-1995 and at that time the Safari was the most popular downtown hangout. I always preferred Ray's Corner or The Chevy (it was and is too loud). My friends were fans of Jim's Tap and I must credit them for introducing me to Guiness, a cherished friend. If my wife and I (girlfriend) were going out we usually went to O'hares, she likes the big olives in their tomato beer. Skinners and Cubbys were not an option at that time.

I also hung out at the Holiday in bar (long before it remolded and become the Pavillion). It was a small, quaint bar and I knew the manager allowing me admittance a bit before I turned 21. Most Thursday nights were spent at the Stourlite Inn ($1 pitcher night and live musis, usually country).

We frequented the Garage in Bushnell, 50 cent Schaefer's, and the Aurora bar.

Now, when I return, I prefer Skinner's, but I have not been there for at least 10 months. My wife still like O'hares. Cubby's does have too many TV's and it gets damn cold in there if you are sitting by the door!!

I have visited a few Applebee's in various towns and the atmosphere varies. I suspect the one in Brookings will be geared towards the younger crowd/SDSU fans and therefore more enjoyable. Their beer selection is usually subpar and the food is only marginal but a good atmosphere can make up for that. It offers an alternative to the Ram Pub and The Pavillion.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
      I know they dont serve Beer, but Nicks is a fixation for old people like me, but lately the service and the wierd guy that owns the place makes it unbearable. I am going to rebuild my appetite for my next visit to Nicks.
      I enjoy giving my order to the helpers at least five times and then maybe they will get it right.

Last Saturday instead of my fix of Nicks at noon, I went to the Ram Pub and had a delicious Steak Sandwich. Being a non-consumer of alchoholic beverages, I did not order a beer. I like Ram Pub, and dearly miss Caspers who made excellent ministrone soup. Some how I can get excited about a Chinese buffett.

Not only that, but they keep raising the prices. It's now $1.20 for those little burgers. I'm a rotund person. A good stiff eat is somewhere around 4 or 5 of them. Add a pop and you're over $6.

You're spot on with the service. Man, those people are some real stooges. Just plain rude. Not even a kind word at all. You thank them and they pretend like you just said f-you. Yeah, the burgers are scrumptious, but it's just not worth the price or the meanness.

By far the best lunch place in Brookings is the George's lunch buffet. $5.85 all you can eat. Excellent pastas, soups, calzones, and pizza. They make a mean pasta salad. Those greeks, they know how to do it up proper.

If you order beer there, however, they serve it *way* too cold. I hate ice in my beer. The cups and beer are so cold that they freeze. Beer is manna from heaven. I like the taste of it. And it likes me. But I don't like it when it's too cold.

Plus, George's never really that busy. Wait staff can be either really good or not quite so good, but the overall is well above average.

Comment

Thanks Buster. I going to take your tip about Georges pizza buffet and give it a whirl the next time in Brookings.

Well the reason there are so many stooges working at Nicks is because of the owner, Duane. He is impossible to work for and anyone that does has a record or cant find a job some where else. You can sum the work force at Nick up in twowords Unemployable-elsewhere.

Its a shame there was not a third generation of the Nicholsons, who were at least part Greek in heritage and took pride in their service and often visited with customers and the conversation was always pleasant and directed to those who patronized their establishment frequently. Those who came occasionaly were treated politely and but were appreciated.

Comment

My Aunt and Uncle came up to Brookings this weekend from Tabor and so my folks, son and I took them to Applebee's for lunch. I am happy to report that Applebee's SDSU memorabilia has increased three fold, since my last visit, and their Nebraska memorabilia has gone down by more then half. I guess others besides myself reminded them that they are in Brookings, and not Lincoln.

Go State!

Comment

Mmmmm....George's Greek Special Pizza....thin crust, extra gyro meat...

Mmmmmm.......
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
            X