Favorite place in Brookings to get a beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite place in Brookings to get a beer

Jim's Tap, hands down. They open at 7AM on Hobo Day. Irish Coffee and free chili (usually), and a front row seat for the parade.

Comment

More choices, never a bad thing.

Downtown hangout, Jackalope Lounge gets revamped to create Dakota Pub

By Jeremy Fugleberg
      The Dakota Pub's jukebox-new, shiny, and filled with songs by artists ranging from Shania Twain to Everclear-typifies what the new owners hope to accomplish with the former Jackalope Lounge.

Co-owner Randy Hope says he has gotten calls from many different acts, including a solo blues artist and a local country band, and he hopes to have them all on the new stage.

"We still get calls," he said. "We told them to give us a call in a couple of weeks when we get going."

The delay is cause by the extensive repairs needed in the rundown building.

Hope bought the former Jackalope with Bill Thelen. The former owner, Max Fjelstad, moved north to Alaska on short notice, and the partners decided that, with a little work, the Jackalope could be turned into a nice place.

It turned out to be more work than they had expected. The wiring and sprinkler system were both not up to code, and the roof leaked far more than they had been led to believe.

"It'll cost $20,000 to $25,000 when we're done," Hope said. "We didn't expect anything like this."

The leaking roof will soon be a memory, replaced by a new roof. That is, if the weather cooperates.

"Hopefully we'll get a few good days," Hope said.

When finished, Dakota Pub will have a new fully functional basement, a stage and a beer garden.

Hope and Thelen have yet to advertise due to the ongoing work, so business has been slow. But Hope says he feels like the revamp was the right decision on both safety and aesthetic grounds.

"I've had some college kids come in and say 'thank you for cleaning it up'," he said.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/524727.html

Go SDSU!

Comment

More news on the new applebee's (wish we could get this kind of preseason coverage of the Jacks  )

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...2769&rfi=6

Go SDSU!

Comment

I like Rays, it is a Brookings landmark. Here is a story about what the city is doing. They are thinking about giving up the liquor store. I have always thought it was strange that a city the size of Brookings only has one liquor store.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...2769&rfi=6

Comment

Dances with Rabbits:

Love your handle. I wonder if Kevin Kosnter knows you are using a parody on his movie with the handle that you chose to use. ;D

As far as Brookings City having just one liquor store, that is a long story, but being an old guy, I remember it took three votes to get that one store in 1955. Prior to that Brookings had been strickly a 3.2 town. The liquor store in Aurora made a bunch of bucks prior to 1955.

There has been that notion, that college students would learn more if they were not tempted by spirits and dancing. There once was a no dancing ban on campus as well.

One of the conditions of the voting yes on a liquor in Brookings was that there would be one outlet to be owned by the city. The profits were to offset taxes and over the years there have been fund transfers to offset spending shortfalls and neither services have been cut nor have taxes had to be raised. So a hard drink purchased in Brookings is gift to all the tax payers, at least a small percentage is that.

Comment

To supplement my history lesson on the Brookings City Liquor store, here is the latest on what the City Council is considering.  Apparently the profit margin for the Liquor store has not been all that great.
              From the Brookings Register

Consultant to analyze liquor store operations

By: John Kubal November 07, 2003

Fee to be about $2,000  
              Should the Brookings Municipal Liquor Store continue operating "as is," be relocated or managed by a private contractor, or should some other option be considered?

To get a possible answer, the Brookings City Council at its Tuesday meeting voted 5-2 for hiring a private consultant at a cost of about $2,000. Councilors Tom Bozied and Mike McClemans voted against the move.

In briefing the councilors before discussion and the vote, City Manager Michael Williams referred back to a couple meetings ago, when he was charged to bring the council some proposals for the future operation of the liquor store.

He said, "I am bringing you one proposal, so I'm not quite in compliance with that." The one proposal came from Lyndon Griffin of Bloomington, Minn., who Williams said had "done a lot of work with municipal liquor stores in Minnesota." He said that Griffin's time frame for completing the proposal and the cost were both reasonable.

Williams said, "It may be everything you need in an analysis; and if it's not, I think it'll lay the groundwork and be awfully close to that." He said that if the council wanted him to come up with more proposals, he could do that; but he had a "great comfort level" that the proposal was "awful darn close" to what the council wanted.

Griffin's methodology would include confidential interviews with councilors, relevant city administrative personnel, and the liquor store manager; an operational analysis of purchasing procedures, inventory management and turnover, security, advertising, merchandising, and promotion; a financial analysis, with a review of revenue flow, gross and net performance ratios, employee costs and profit realities and potentials, and an assessment of proposed options.

Williams said Griffin's recommendations would come from "his past experience and his knowledge rather than doing some independent study of the market and traffic flow and location and all that you might see some other business doing."

Councilman Tim Reed said it would be important for Griffin to quantify the Brookings market: "He should be able to look at some other towns and whether they have a college and population, etc. That's what I'd be looking for in the size-of-the-market part of it."

Councilman Tom Bozied told Williams, "This isn't your product, Mike, but I'm kind of curious what you think, why he would want a confidential interview with each member of the City Council, for crying out loud?"

Williams replied, "I suggested to him that that may not be a necessary part of the process."

Mayor Scott Munsterman asked his fellow councilors if more proposals were needed.

Councilman Tom Bezdichek said that no additional proposals were needed, and that he had "the utmost confidence in Mike Williams."

Councilwoman Doris Roden said, "I'm not sure I see the value of doing this at all. Because I think we have the information from the enterprise, and I think we have enough information right now to make our own decision on this." But if other councilors wanted an outside consultant, that was all right with her.

And Councilwoman Julie Whaley said she had no problem with bringing in a consultant.

Reed said, "I'd like to move forward."

Councilman Mike McClemans said he agreed with Roden, that the council had enough information; but the consultant might give a broader perspective. However, he said he didn't "see the numbers changing dramatically."

Munsterman said he was "sensing different levels of comfort." But there was no additional discussion before the vote.

©Brookings Register 2003  
              Copyright © 1995 - 2003 PowerOne Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Comment

Is the new Applebees open in Brookings yet? I've been told it will have a Jackrabbit sports theme, Hopefully its open for Christmas, I am planning on running a number of taste tests on the new keg dispensing systems. ;D 8) :P

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                  Is the new Applebees open in Brookings yet? I've been told it will have a Jackrabbit sports theme, Hopefully its open for Christmas, I am planning on running a number of taste tests on the new keg dispensing systems. ;D 8) :P
                  Talked with my folks tonight, they live in Brookings, the sign went up today but it is not open yet.  :-/  Hopefully buy the Holiday Classic.   If it is I will help you with the taste tests! ;D

Go State!

Comment

Bad news I am affraid, my thirsty Bunny pals. Word from Brookings is that Applebee's will not be open until January. I guess Cubby's will still be my choice for the Holiday tourney.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Today is opening day for the New Applebee's in Brookings. I am anxious to see the SDSU decor, Applebee's does a nice job with that sort of thing.

Go State!

Comment

I got a chance to experience Cubby's for the first time after the USD win. Certainly was lots of scenery in there. Had a hot piece of George's pizza before departing town.

Comment

My folks, had a chance to eat lunch at the new Brookings Applebee's they said it was big and full of SDSU "stuff". I am looking forward to seeing it the next time I go up to see the Rabbits play.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            So, what is or was your favorite place in Brookings to get a beer?

When I was at School it was either the Lucky Lady or the Saf. Now days I would have to go with Cubby's. They are getting a nice collection of sports memorabilia. Tons of TVs and the food is pretty good. A great place to go after the game.
                            I'm still in school, having decided that work is a foolish pursuit. The bars have their ups and down, like some rhythmic flow.

Six or seven years ago when I started here, the Saf was the place to be. But they started getting a deserved reputation as an underage hangout. I remember running into people I knew were no more than 19 in the place.

Lots of eye candy, indeed, but that's just dirty.

The Chevy has always been a dirty, loud hole. It is still a dirty, loud hole.

Skinners was more laid back back in the day than it is now. Since they got hard liquor a year or two ago, business has really moved to be much later in the evening.

People now don't even go downtown until about 10 or 11. That's stupid. I'm either tired, or so foolishly stumbling by that hour that I never make it until two.

It's still not a bad place. But the prices are getting out of line. It used to be dollar talls (22 oz) Wednesday. Now, it's $1.50. Granted, that's cheaper than most places in the world, but this is a college town.

Cubby's has too many damn televisions. I have a TV and beer at home. Why pay extra to go to a bar to watch TV and drink beer?

Plus, Cubby's never seems to want to play the hockey games except on the little TVs.

The Lantern used to be HUGE back in 1997-1998. It really died for a three year period, but has seen some more interest from people. It's just as smelly and dirty as ever. I saw, and I'm not kidding here, a dog crap and piss right on the floor in the bar and nobody cared -- it was 8 pm at night.

The dakota pub, formerly the Jackalope, gets high marks from the Stiff Drinking crowd. The other night, they had Bass taps for $1. Hell of a deal.

OHares is kind of an uppity crowd sometimes.

Carpy's, out by the mall next to Hy-Vee, is really laid back. Lots of Real blue collar types.

Ray's isn't too bad. Nice mix of older people and college kids. Great staff.

The small town bars are not to be missed either. Bruce has a decent bar, and so does Volga -- I like Deeder's. You can get, and I don't see how this is legal, a "to go cup" for your drink. Awsome place.

Jim's still burns the crap out of their drinks, smells like a chewed army boot, and is generally way too overcrowded. If it's not too busy, then it's not a bad place.

I'm still partial to Skinner's.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster

I'm still in school, having decided that work is a foolish pursuit. The bars have their ups and down, like some rhythmic flow.

Six or seven years ago when I started here, the Saf was the place to be. But they started getting a deserved reputation as an underage hangout. I remember running into people I knew were no more than 19 in the place.

Lots of eye candy, indeed, but that's just dirty.

The Chevy has always been a dirty, loud hole. It is still a dirty, loud hole.

Skinners was more laid back back in the day than it is now. Since they got hard liquor a year or two ago, business has really moved to be much later in the evening.

People now don't even go downtown until about 10 or 11. That's stupid. I'm either tired, or so foolishly stumbling by that hour that I never make it until two.

It's still not a bad place. But the prices are getting out of line. It used to be dollar talls (22 oz) Wednesday. Now, it's $1.50. Granted, that's cheaper than most places in the world, but this is a college town.

Cubby's has too many damn televisions. I have a TV and beer at home. Why pay extra to go to a bar to watch TV and drink beer?

Plus, Cubby's never seems to want to play the hockey games except on the little TVs.

The Lantern used to be HUGE back in 1997-1998. It really died for a three year period, but has seen some more interest from people. It's just as smelly and dirty as ever. I saw, and I'm not kidding here, a dog crap and piss right on the floor in the bar and nobody cared -- it was 8 pm at night.

The dakota pub, formerly the Jackalope, gets high marks from the Stiff Drinking crowd. The other night, they had Bass taps for $1. Hell of a deal.

OHares is kind of an uppity crowd sometimes.

Carpy's, out by the mall next to Hy-Vee, is really laid back. Lots of Real blue collar types.

Ray's isn't too bad. Nice mix of older people and college kids. Great staff.

The small town bars are not to be missed either. Bruce has a decent bar, and so does Volga -- I like Deeder's. You can get, and I don't see how this is legal, a "to go cup" for your drink. Awsome place.

Jim's still burns the crap out of their drinks, smells like a chewed army boot, and is generally way too overcrowded. If it's not too busy, then it's not a bad place.

I'm still partial to Skinner's.
                              Buster,

Nice break down of the Bar scene.  I'm sure the research for this post was a killer.   ;D

Comment

I know they dont serve Beer, but Nicks is a fixation for old people like me, but lately the service and the wierd guy that owns the place makes it unbearable.   I am going to rebuild my appetite for my next visit to Nicks.
                                I enjoy giving my order to the helpers at least five times and then maybe they will get it right.

Last Saturday instead of my fix of Nicks at noon, I went to the Ram Pub and had a delicious Steak Sandwich. Being a non-consumer of alchoholic beverages, I did not order a beer. I like Ram Pub, and dearly miss Caspers who made excellent ministrone soup.  Some how I can get excited about a Chinese buffett.

Comment

Working...
                                X