Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DI Conference Hunt

Originally posted by sdman
    What does concern me in the short run is our partnership with ndsu.  Now that the bsc option is done ndsu is more of a negative than a positive.  We are a lot more attractive to the mid cont bc of our bb heritage and our location than ndsu and having them as partners when they really only need one school to get to 10 is an albatross around our neck.  I wish dr miller and dr o. would call  gene taylor and say we enjoyed our partnership but it is now time to part company and go our separate ways in conf affiliation.  Looking for one slot is hard enough but 2 is a monumental task.  A travel partner in that conf is overrated bc the schools are urban areas that are easy to fly in and out of.  Go State!
    Great logic, but what happens if Portland State and Sac State drop out of the BSC in 2-3 years and the BSC comes looking our way again. If we cut off ties with NDSU, they could easily turn to the north and tell the BSC that UND would be a much better partner than SDSU.

It's easier to let conferences dictate who they want to bring in rather than us cutting ties with someone we've been working with to get this far. If any other conference says they're looking to expand they'll do what the BSC did and say who they're looking at. We're not in a position to try to bargain in a travel partner and neither is NDSU. The chips will fall where they will and we'll either be with NDSU or not, it won't be our choice in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
      Were you joking in this comment?  I don't want to come across as too negative but I really don't think it has been so far so good.  To me that would mean that everything that we've experienced since being D-I has been good.  We haven't won a men's basketball D-I game yet and the conference we really wanted to get into just rejected us in favor of UNC.  I understand trying to be positive, but lets just tell it how it is.  Not everything is coming up roses for us right now, but hopefully that will change.
      Your wrong here. Things have not gone poorly at all. Granted, they aren't perfect but no one with their eyes open going into this expected that.

The first year schedule has been excellent, the performance of the FB and VB teams as well, if not better than expected. Women's BB has performed at or above expectations. We have a new baseball coach and an excellent schedule with some recruits already signed.

Next years schedules are well on pace with what was expected if not surpassing those expectations. I can't speak for recruiting but I think it is going well. I don't think I need to explain the struggles of the men's BB team, its pretty obvious.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Your wrong here.  Things have not gone poorly at all.  Granted, they aren't perfect but no one with their eyes open going into this expected that.

The first year schedule has been excellent, the performance of the FB and VB teams as well, if not better than expected.  Women's BB has performed at or above expectations.  We have a new baseball coach and an excellent schedule with some recruits already signed.

Next years schedules are well on pace with what was expected if not surpassing those expectations.  I can't speak for recruiting but I think it is going well.  I don't think I need to explain the struggles of the men's BB team, its pretty obvious.
        Maybe you didn't really expect to find a conference right away or maybe you didn't expect to get into the BSC. I, on the other hand, did expect to get into the BSC. Maybe thats why I seem to be a little more disappointed than you are. To me, finding a conference is bigger than having some big name teams on our baseball schedule or getting a new baseball coach, heck we don't even know if he is going to be any good. The women are performing at the level that I thought they would and the mens basketball team is performing below what I thought they would. I can't speak of recruiting either, so I won't even try. We won't know how our recruits are until we see them play next year. Maybe I just had higher expectations and thats why I seem to be more disappointed. Like I said before, the most important thing to me is finding a conference, and I was fully expecting to get into the BSC. Maybe I didn't have my eyes open, like you said. Until we get into a conference I can't say that everything has been great.

Comment

I echo a lot of Doc's points. I couldnt be more pleased with the D1 progress so far. I would have liked an invite to the Big Sky also. But dont loose sight of the fact that we became a D1 school only this past Summer. Everything cant happen at once - it is a process. We may have to play our way into a conference (thats ok) I've been very happy with the success of our teams so far. Did you watch our FB team this year? Did you see our womens VB record this year, Our WBB team is awesome. Our men's BB team would have struggled in the NCC this season-(its called rebuilding - look at all the freshman and sophs. that do most of the playing) As an alumni and fan I am happy as h**l at the progress we have made.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
            I echo a lot of Doc's points. I couldnt be more pleased with the D1 progress so far. I would have liked an invite to the Big Sky also. But dont loose sight of the fact that we became a D1 school only this past Summer. Everything cant happen at once - it is a process. We may have to play our way into a conference (thats ok) I've been very happy with the success of our teams so far. Did you watch our FB team this year? Did you see our womens VB record this year, Our WBB team is awesome. Our men's BB team would have struggled in the NCC this season-(its called rebuilding - look at all the freshman and sophs. that do most of the playing) As an alumni and fan I am happy as h**l at the progress we have made.
            Like I said, maybe I put too much emphasis on getting into the Big Sky. To answer your question about seeing the Volleyball team--No, I didn't. I don't follow the Volleyball team nearly as well as I should. I'll take your word for it that they were good this year. I certainly wouldn't say the football team exceeded my expectations. I never expected them to get beat by over 50 points--twice. However, I also did not expect them to beat NDSU--that was a great win. The women's basketball team are doing good this year, but that is coming as no surprise. The last 3 years the Jacks have had teams that would do very well in D-I, I never doubted that. Their success this year comes as no surprise to me.
            As a fan and alumini like yourself I might hold State to higher standards than you do. It doesn't make one of us right or one of us wrong. I was led to believe by the administration that if we would get into a conference before going D-I and if not it would be right away after that. Maybe I just need to give it some time, but I think schedules will be pretty tough to fill up for very many years as an Independent. Maybe you guys are right and it is no big deal that we got rejected by the BSC and everything has worked out just the way we thought it would. I guess I had to high of expectations for my school.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
              Were you joking in this comment?  I don't want to come across as too negative but I really don't think it has been so far so good.  To me that would mean that everything that we've experienced since being D-I has been good.  We haven't won a men's basketball D-I game yet and the conference we really wanted to get into just rejected us in favor of UNC.  I understand trying to be positive, but lets just tell it how it is.  Not everything is coming up roses for us right now, but hopefully that will change.
              No I was not joking, but read some of my other posts particularily the one under questions for Doug Fullerton.  Yesterday, I spent most of the day riding between Columbus Ne and Brookings SD, transporting household effects to a storage area. I listen to three sports shows, the one in Vermillon on 1570 am, dont recall the call letters, KJJQ in Brookings and in the afternoon, KWSN with our friends Craig and Mike.  All three shows talked about the BSC news. Two of the programs had Fred Oien SDSU AD as a guest.  None of the radio hosts were negative, not even the Vermillion guy since he had as his guest Jeff Kolpack from the Fargo Forum.  These Radio guys could have grumbled and told their listerners, "I told you so", but none did. All of these guysl had good hard questions for Fred, who hasnt given up on the D1 movement. Fred had a nasal cold, Chris Solari was right on with that comment, but Fred was  as calm and confident as ever in answering the questions asked of him.

Mike H raised an interesting concern about the legislature and BOR getting concerned and Fred said that he had no signals of what they were thinking, plus Fred said they had D1 contracts signed as far out as 2008 which the University would have to honor and that might be a big problem.  Too whom? he did not say.

I think despite the losses in men BB we are better off than we would be if we stayed D2.  Anybody who would think the Mens BB would 8-0 if we stayed in the NCC and D2 would be unrealistic. Lets face it, the cupboard in terms of experienced talent was getting bare because of graduation and athletes completing their eligibilty. I think our guys are doing as well as expected, but Coach Nagy indicated disppointment in playing so if that is thorny rose, then what else is new?

Not all is rosey, but I dont think we need to feel any concern about turning around and heading back to D2. That is very unlikely to happen.  The media seems to be adjusting and very interested in what is going on at SDSU.  I sure the USD and Augie folks are somewhat jealous.

Fred talked about the student athletes and despite the lumps and increased travel, they seem to feel very good about themselves and grateful for the opportunity to compete against better competition. Its not about wins as Fred said yesterday and he quoted Bill Carr of Carr and associates, when he made that statement. Carr further said that the transisition period is about find the ability to compete and not about winning.
               Am I a big Fred Oien Fan?  You are darn tootin ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Comment

[quote author=SDSUFAN

I think despite the losses in men BB we are better off than we would be if we stayed D2.  Anybody who would think the Mens BB would 8-0 if we stayed in the NCC and D2 would be unrealistic. Lets face it, the cupboard in terms of experienced talent was getting bare because of graduation and athletes completing their eligibilty. I think our guys are doing as well as expected, but Coach Nagy indicated disppointment in playing so if that is thorny rose, then what else is new?

I sure the USD and Augie folks are somewhat jealous.

Fred talked about the student athletes and despite the lumps and increased travel, they seem to feel very good about themselves and grateful for the opportunity to compete against better competition. Its not about wins as Fred said yesterday and he quoted Bill Carr of Carr and associates, when he made that statement. Carr further said that the transisition period is about find the ability to compete and not about winning.
                 Am I a big Fred Oien Fan?  You are darn tootin ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

[/quote]

I love it. Great quote from Carr "It's not about winning." Thats been the motto of many low level D-I teams around the nation for years. It's good to see that SDSU is now adopting that motto. And don't fool yourself, a lot of the teams you are playing now aren't better than the DII teams you were playing before.

You are sure the USD and Augie folks are jealous, huh. Ya, we wish our mens basketball team was going all over the nation and getting whipped by mostly low level D-I teams and a few decent mid majors. We wish that we hardly ever got to see our team play, and that our athletes would have to miss class all the time just to play some games. We wish that our team couldn't find a conference to play in and we really wish that the current athletes at the University had nothing to play for right now.
                Big Fred Oien fan you say. Well I'll just leave that alone--thats too easy.
                As long as you guys live by your new schools new motto "It's not about winning, it's just about the experience" then you guys should never be disappointed. Your new slogan is kind of catchy, hopefully it will replace "You can go anywhere from here" campaign. ;D

Comment

sports bluff or what ever I guess your red and white is starting to show. As Jack Nickelson said to Tom Cruise in that one movie, whose name excapes. "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH". Take your disguised handle to the Coyote Board where it belongs. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                    sports bluff or what ever I guess your red and white is starting to show.  As Jack Nickelson said to Tom Cruise in that one movie, whose name excapes.  "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH". Take your disguised handle to the Coyote Board where it belongs. ;D ;D ;D ;D
                    I can't believe it took you so long to see my red and white, I've never tried to disguise myself yet. Go back and read my posts.
                    The movie you were thinking of was a Few Good Men, and it doesn't look like I'm the one who can't handle the truth.

Comment

sports_buff,

If you enjoy what is going on at the U and Augie good for you, and best of luck. No need to come here and try and tear down what SDSU is doing unless you are trying to work through a case of D-I jealousy. Jackmd started a whole thread to help if you are.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

jackmd wrote:

"After reading all the posts from concerned USD, UND, UNO, and even timid SDSU fans (hereon referred to as "you&quot, I thought it was time to give all of you your own subject under which to post. DI envy seems most appropriate, after all it is jealousy that underlies the feelings expressed by those oppossed to SDSU's move.

Sure, there are feeling of inadequacy and inferiority also, but you can't blame us (SDSU supporters) for that. As a former first lady once said:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
                      Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962, American First

So, post away. Some of us welcome your concern and hope that you keep SDSU in the forefront. I am certain it also helps you deal with the feelings of inadequacy, inferiority and envy that have resulted from the bad choices you have made thus far in your life. No worries, I anticipate you'll continue to make the same poor decisions in the future.

So, wish us luck if you have the respect and self-esteem to do so. If you don't, do what you have to do to protect your fragile ego. We're going to be here regardless."

Finally I believe that every team we have played so far (with maybe the exception on Denver) has been to the "Big Dance" . I can't think of a single D-II we have played that did that. :

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        sports_buff,

If you enjoy what is going on at the U and Augie good for you, and best of luck.  No need to come here and try and tear down what SDSU is doing unless you are trying to work through a case of D-I jealousy.  Jackmd started a whole thread to help if you are.

Finally I believe that every team we have played so far (with maybe the exception on Denver) has been to the "Big Dance" .  I can't think of a single D-II we have played that did that.  :

Go State!  ;D

Rabbit, thanks for Jacks speech, but I've read it or a version of it many times. Every time someone says anything negative about the move you or JackMD give them the D-I envy speech. Because obviously if anyone points out something that is not great about the move then they are just jealous, and thereby deserving of the speech.
                        I have wished you guys luck and I do hope you succeed at the D-I level. I would have liked to seen you guys get into the BSC.
                        Rabbit you are right you have never played a DII team thats been in the big dance, but don't think that getting an automatic berth into the Big Dance means you are better than any DII team out there. You guys have been beaten bad a couple of times this year but I also don't think anyone has beaten you by 40 points, such as you were in your last DII game, with a much better team than you have now. Don't fool yourself into thinking an automatic bid into the big dance makes you better than the DII powers. As I said before, SDSU would have won a lot of D-I conferences last year in mens basketball.

Comment

If you have read it before, you clearly havn't understood it or maybe you just haven't taken it to heart.  Why do you come here?  Look at your posts and ask yourself why do I, a USD supporter, come to a Jackrabbit fan board and then re-read jackmd's post.

Go State!  ;D

P.S. if you want to talk smack feel free there is a whole section of the board for that. However don't pollute our serious threads with your State Hate.

Comment

Sports_buff:

How is anything you are continuously posting on this board any different than the "D1 envy" retort that you say you've read a thousand times? The vast majority of the time your posts contain anti-SDSU rants which serve...what exactly? Here's a statement that I'm sure will blow you away. The vast majority of the people on this board are big time SDSU fans and will continue to be through thick and thin. I know I'm beating my head against the proverbial wall with this post as it will not change anything you type nor the type of responses you get in return, but I actually enjoy when you throw in a well thought out post from an alternative view than the majority of us. It helps us all keep perspective. However, don't think most of us will just sit back and let you bad mouth SDSU or the decision to go D1. We're proud of that decision and stand by it. You're proud of your Yotes and stand by their decision to play top notch athletics in a great D2 conference. Good for you and good for us. As I said, my post will probably not change anything, but at least understand that you're not going to change anything by putting SDSU and it's decisions down.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

May I suggest we not encourage sports_buff further, and simply not respond in this thread to his more egregiously envious postings?

This thread is about where we're going, not where we've been.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

Don't fool yourself into thinking an automatic bid into the big dance makes you better than the DII powers.

The difference is NOBODY cares about Division II basketball. Outside of a few hardcore fanatics, nobody knows who won the DII national championship last year, or any of the years before it. On the other hand, most college basketball fans, even the pedestrian ones, remember things like Valpo's cinderella run. Whatever team you root for, good luck to them. If they do well, you'll know it, no one else will.

Comment

Working...
                                X