DI Conference Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DI Conference Hunt

Just looked at the MidCon website to see what teams are actually in that conference. The teams really aren't that exciting, but I suppose one advantage would be I think SDSU and NDSU would immediately be competitive in all sports with the schools in that conference, and probably would have teams that would be immediate conference champions in some sports.

Comment

Mid-Cont would definitely be a stepping stone to something better. I don't see the casual Jack fan getting excited about most of the teams coming from the Mid-Cont to Brookings. For me the ultimate conference would be the combo of the Missouri Valley for Basketball and other sports and Gateway Conference for Football. It would be great to renew our relationship with University of Northern Iowa. I think a conference is going to be hard to come by until we are tournament eligible.

Comment

Just read an interesting article in the Grand Forks paper where Fullerton says about the fault they could find with the Dakota schools is geography. The quote was something like "maybe if they were on the other side of North Dakota". (I'd provide a link to the story but I don't know how) Fullerton also says the conference is looking west b/c that is where their alumni base is and the direction they have expanded in the past. It also looks like it was Sac State and Portland State that sunk the Dakotas.

Comment

I too am very very disappointed in the bsc decision but it is time to look forward. I agree with jack guy 2 of hopefully some day we can get a mo conf bid with the gateway. That would be something to get excited about. If that ever comes to fruition I would be thrilled but I am afraid that being 68 years old that I may not be around to enjoy it when it comes. Or maybe the mid cont might be OK but let's face it - it is nothing to get excited about right now. But conferences do get better and maybe that will happen in their case. The thing I worry about is can we afford to be a d1 independent for five or ten years with all the travel and other problems associated with it. Go Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
            Just read an interesting article in the Grand Forks paper where Fullerton says about the fault they could find with the Dakota schools is geography.  The quote was something like "maybe if they were on the other side of North Dakota".  (I'd provide a link to the story but I don't know how)   Fullerton also says the conference is looking west b/c that is where their alumni base is and the direction they have expanded in the past.  It also looks like it was Sac State and Portland State that sunk the Dakotas.
            I don't think there is any doubt that this is the case. Our allies consisted of the most "eastern" schools that just also happen to be the most competative. Portland and Suc St. are stuck at the bottom and didn't want to get shoved into the ground as we assumed our position on the totem pole. I think ignorance about the potential in the Dakotas also played a role. Who is to blame for that? I don't even have the energy to think about it right now.

I hope some alternative plans are in place. We can't afford to stay on the mat long. I think we have to extend more overtures towards the Mid-Con. Conference affiliation early in this process is a must regardless of yesterday's developments.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I posted something similar to this on another thread.  We have a home for Football.  The Mid-Con would give us a home for Baseball and Softball (something the Big Sky did not), and according to the Sagarin NCAA basketball ratings the Mid-Con is a much better Basketball conference so far this year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0405.htm

CONFERENCE          

1  ATLANTIC COAST        
              2  BIG 12                  
              3  MISSOURI VALLEY        
              4  SOUTHEASTERN          
              5  BIG TEN                  
              6  CONFERENCE USA          
              7  MID-AMERICAN          
              8  BIG EAST                
              9  PACIFIC-10              
              10  HORIZON                  
              11  WEST COAST              
              12  MOUNTAIN WEST            
              13  WESTERN ATHLETIC        
              14  SUN BELT                
              15  COLONIAL                
              16  ATLANTIC 10            
              17  OHIO VALLEY            
              18  MID-CONTINENT
              19  SOUTHLAND              
              20  SOUTHERN                
              21  ATLANTIC SUN            
              22  AMERICA EAST            
              23  BIG WEST                
              24  IVY LEAGUE              
              25  METRO ATLANTIC          
              26  NORTHEAST                
              27  MID-EASTERN              
              28  PATRIOT                  
              29  BIG SOUTH                
              30  BIG SKY
              31  SOUTHWESTERN            
              32  INDEPENDENTS            

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Interesting the two schools who are struggling the most and most likely to leave the Big Sky (Sac State and Portland) are the ones who torpedoed the State U's joining the conference. The frustrating part is neither is long for the Big Sky. We have not heard the last from the Big Sky but by the time they come to their senses we will be esstablished elswhere and maybe a better place.

Comment

Maybe when some of the Horizon opponents from this year come to Frost next year we will gather some support from that conference. The Horizon has baseball and most of the major sports.

Comment

Despite the Sagarin ratings, the Mid Con still isn't very exciting to the average fan, IMHO. Oakland, Centenary, IUPUI, Chicago State just don't do it for me.

Comment

I'm not here to sell the Mid-Con just pointing out some bright spots.  I do think the avg. fan would be excited about Valpo.  They will also recognize Soutern Utah and NDSU from the Great West.  UMKC is drivable (6hrs down I-29) and Western Ill. has some name recognition (I-AA power from the Gateway).  Just some food for thought.  As I have said many times before, my first choice was and is the Missouri Valley and Gateway combo.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        I posted something similar to this on another thread.  We have a home for Football.  The Mid-Con would give us a home for Baseball and Softball (something the Big Sky did not), and according to the Sagarin NCAA basketball ratings the Mid-Con is a much better Basketball conference so far this year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0405.htm

CONFERENCE          

1  ATLANTIC COAST        
                        2  BIG 12                  
                        3  MISSOURI VALLEY        
                        4  SOUTHEASTERN          
                        5  BIG TEN                  
                        6  CONFERENCE USA          
                        7  MID-AMERICAN          
                        8  BIG EAST                
                        9  PACIFIC-10              
                        10  HORIZON                  
                        11  WEST COAST              
                        12  MOUNTAIN WEST            
                        13  WESTERN ATHLETIC        
                        14  SUN BELT                
                        15  COLONIAL                
                        16  ATLANTIC 10            
                        17  OHIO VALLEY            
                        18  MID-CONTINENT
                        19  SOUTHLAND              
                        20  SOUTHERN                
                        21  ATLANTIC SUN            
                        22  AMERICA EAST            
                        23  BIG WEST                
                        24  IVY LEAGUE              
                        25  METRO ATLANTIC          
                        26  NORTHEAST                
                        27  MID-EASTERN              
                        28  PATRIOT                  
                        29  BIG SOUTH                
                        30  BIG SKY
                        31  SOUTHWESTERN            
                        32  INDEPENDENTS            

Go State!  ;D

Wow, I always thought that the MVC was an underrated conference but even I didn't think it was the 3rd highest ranked conference out there. I'm really suprised that it's ranked ahead of the SEC, Big 10, Big East, Pac 10, and even conference USA. Thats good to hear though, I like the MVC. I guess I can't call them an underrated conference anymore.
                        I can't believe that the midcon. is that much higher than the Big Sky. I haven't really heard of any of these midcon. teams. I hope we get into the Valley. Can't you pull some strings Rabbit and get us in?

Comment

What I have learned thus far from this process is to just enjoy the games that we play and enjoy the competition and figure that league affiliation will eventually work itself out. It is probably going to be a 5-10 year struggle to get league affiliation and I will drive myself crazy speculating on any and every league angle that is possibly available.

Comment

From a guy with way too much time on his hands:

Mid Continent conference - 2 Divisions

Eastern Division

Centenary
                            Chicago St
                            IUPUI
                            Oakland
                            Valpo
                            Western Illinois

Western Division

SDSU
                            NDSU
                            UMKC
                            Southern Utah
                            Oral Roberts
                            Another team added to conference to make it 12 (Denver??)

Not too exciting, but it would be a place to start in DI.

Comment

Originally posted by sdman
                              What I have learned thus far from this process is to just enjoy the games that we play and enjoy the competition and figure that league affiliation will eventually work itself out.  It is probably going to be a 5-10 year struggle to get league affiliation and I will drive myself crazy speculating on any and every league angle that is possibly available.
                              That is a good plan. I won't follow it, but it is a good plan.

Go State! ;D

P.S. I would be very surprised if it took us 5-10 years to find a home. My guess is we will have a home before the '08-'09 season (first year of playoff eligibility).

Comment

Jacks1- I like your Mid Con plan but it still doesn't interest me that much. Here is the only Mid Con I would like to see either of our two schools in.

Eastern Division

UMKC
                                Chicago St
                                IUPUI
                                Oakland
                                Valpo
                                Western Illinois

Western Division

UNO
                                SDSU
                                NDSU
                                UND
                                Southern Utah
                                Oral Roberts

This would be my dream Mid Con. With the addtion of UND and UNO it would bring back old NCC rivalries. Plus UNO and UND would join the GWFC and we are back at a solid 7 school football conference. UNO and UND are both looking at D1 and if schollies are cut it could happen. And yes Cennatery is gone, but what does a school with an enrollment of 900 really bring to a conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X