• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Schools on NCAA mascot hit list

on Aug 20th, 2005, 8:23pm, JBNJBQ wrote:

Webster's Dictionary defines

warrior:

"A man engaged or experienced in warfare; a soldier, esp. a brave or veteran soldier."

Mascot:

"A thing, animal, or person thought to bring good luck."

Mike_H wrote:

"Now who's being pc? Do you know of one school called the Warriors that has G.I. Joe plastered on the wall? Also, "Warrior" is one of the least offensive native mascots, so don't get too hung up on that one to make it look like all these names bring "honor" to Native Americans.

As for whether or not this is the NCAA's fight, or if they are handling this in the right manner,  that is a different subject in my mind. I happen to think the NCAA has much bigger fish to fry, but this is at least bringing the discussion forward."

Boy Mike I have been called a lot of things in my life but "politically correct" was never one of them until now! Hahahaha. Mike I was defining the words that Billy Mills used.  See 89rabbit I have perhaps become too moderate?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Often it is not the name itself, but the 'traditions' the schools attach to their mascot that make the whole thing particularly offensive. Thus, while the Illini might not be so bad, the antics of their frat-boy Chief Illiniwek are offensive. While Seminoles might not be so bad, the antics of their tomahawk-chopping, war-whooping crowd are offensive to many. The Cleveland Indians might not be so bad, but the stereotypical Indian Chief Wahoo on their cap is offensive.

Then there are names like 'Redskins' which don't honor anything except racism.

The point is that there is more complexity here, and more depth to these complaints, than any dictionary definition can capture.

Comment

Florida State is off the list:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...approved_x.htm

Guess the name wasn't "offensive" after all. Oopsie.

Me, I still can't stand the "tomahawk chop" regardless of whether it's Seminole, Atlanta Brave, or Kansas City Chief fans doing it.

And don't get me started on ending the National Anthem with "land of the free and home of the CHIEFS (SIOUX) (etc.)"
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
          Often it is not the name itself, but the 'traditions' the schools attach to their mascot that make the whole thing particularly offensive. Thus, while the Illini might not be so bad, the antics of their frat-boy Chief Illiniwek are offensive. While Seminoles might not be so bad, the antics of their tomahawk-chopping, war-whooping crowd are offensive to many. The Cleveland Indians might not be so bad, but the stereotypical Indian Chief Wahoo on their cap is offensive.

Then there are names like 'Redskins' which don't honor anything except racism.

The point is that there is more complexity here, and more depth to these complaints, than any dictionary definition can capture.
          You stated it well, better than I.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
          X