SD Regents To Consider Tuition Break For Nonreside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD Regents To Consider Tuition Break For Nonre

The school district lines do not change when the city annexes areas. The two are independent. At present, I believe there are at least 6 districts that are partially within the Sioux Falls city limits, Tri Valley, Brandon, Harrisburg, Tea etc. The part of Sioux Falls that is in the Sioux Falls school district is already fairly dense. This fall the Sioux Falls district either a very small increase or perhaps even a decrease.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
      Jack99 is correct as to places which are growing.  However, even with those growth areas, South Dakota is projected to have 3,969 fewer students in high school in 2012 ... that's seven years away.  

By the way my Milwaukee friend, Miller had 166 kids in high school in 2004 and is projected to have 155 in 2012.  So, the folks in Miller are doing their best.  
      The frightning aspect of this whole decline is that towns that we know today that exist will soon disappear or there will become towns with junky cars everywhere and no people. Ever been to Kidder SD? It took two trips around the town to find the former HS building that was sadly hidden behind tall grass trees and what have you. This is what I find truly sad.

Its a long story on how I happen to tour Kidder, but I did and I fear there will be many more Kidders in the future of SD. The BOR seems to have gotten out in front on this one.

Can we say Buffalo Commons? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
        By the way my Milwaukee friend, Miller had 166 kids in high school in 2004 and is projected to have 155 in 2012.  So, the folks in Miller are doing their best.  
        Now, if they could just produce a couple football players in those 155. The Rustlers are in dire need of some wins (in Football).
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          Potential downside, more students paying less money likely means larger class sizes with less funding. Money will have to be re-directed from somewhere.
          If it increases out of state enrollments, it could make more money. It's just a question of whether the product is set at the right price for maximum profit.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
            The BOR seems to have gotten out in front on this one.
            Yup, and now is the time to do something BEFORE the enrollment bubble bursts.

Comment

The Argus has offered their editoral on the recent BOR
              decison.

Here is the link:
              http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...511020317/1052

Comment

What the editorial doesn't point out (as many members of this board have) is the falling numbers of SD high school grads has a huge effect on this decision. If we don't try to attract more out of state-non resident students we will lose that money anyway because we won't have as many students attending within our higher education system--- thus less money in the coffers. the lack of south dakota high school grads has a direct effect on the intake of the universities as all the universities use these students as their bread and butter in the recruiting process. The goal of this is for the universities and their admissions office to make up the difference by attracting more non-resident students. We will all have to wait to see if that happens.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Now, if they could just produce a couple football players in those 155.  The Rustlers are in dire need of some wins (in Football).  
                  My boys from Sioux Valley snapped a 15 game losing streak against Miller this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                    What the editorial doesn't point out (as many members of this board have) is the falling numbers of SD high school grads has a huge effect on this decision.  If we don't try to attract more out of state-non resident students we will lose that money anyway because we won't have as many students attending within our higher education system--- thus less money in the coffers.  the lack of south dakota high school grads has a direct effect on the intake of the universities as all the universities use these students as their bread and butter in the recruiting process.    The goal of this is for the universities and their admissions office to make up the difference by attracting more non-resident students. We will all have to wait to see if that happens.  
                    Our admissions counselors are top notch...no problemo for them

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

My boys from Sioux Valley snapped a 15 game losing streak against Miller this year.
                      Unfortunately, if you have needed a guaranteed win on the schedule during the last 8 years all you needed to do is schedule Miller. I think every one of their away games are the other team's homecoming game.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                        What the editorial doesn't point out (as many members of this board have) is the falling numbers of SD high school grads has a huge effect on this decision.  If we don't try to attract more out of state-non resident students we will lose that money anyway because we won't have as many students attending within our higher education system--- thus less money in the coffers.  the lack of south dakota high school grads has a direct effect on the intake of the universities as all the universities use these students as their bread and butter in the recruiting process.    The goal of this is for the universities and their admissions office to make up the difference by attracting more non-resident students.  We will all have to wait to see if that happens.  
                        Also, enticing and bringing in students from other states is the best way to get the SDSU name out there. They will go back home and tell their friends and family how great of a school SDSU is and the word will spread. Right now, most people in Kentucky are probably having a hard time finding South Dakota on the map.

Comment

Sorry its been so long since I've been on the board. I've set this up so I'm notified of replies if anyone has any questions. I got to nominate a student to sit on the committee that made this recommendation so we have piles of information. The students' association also passed a resolution endorsing this and we did the same thing through the student federation. This is good for several reasons.

1. It will only require 100 additional students at all 6 schools to make up the lost revenue.

2.This however doesn't reduce GAF fees which fund student activities including athletics.

3. This applies to all incoming freshman and transfer students. This includes athletic scholarships for 11,000 instead of 14,000

4. SDSU is targeting two specific areas: Illinois and Wisconsin. We think we can recruit several additional students with the decrease rate.

5. 50% of students who come to SD for college from out of state will stay here after they graduate.

6. It also applies to International students who might come here.

If anyone has any questions feel free to let me know.

Comment

From Chicago tribune, link and exerpt:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...calchicago-hed

South Dakota has tuition deal for you
                            Public universities in the Mt. Rushmore State slash non-resident college costs in a bid to attract students from Illinois and Wisconsin

South Dakota State University in Brookings also recently upped its recruiting efforts in the Chicago area after regents approved the new tuition policy this fall.

Tracy Welsh, the director of admissions, said the university sent postcards about the reduced tuition to Illinois students who already had shown interest in the school. She said that because most students apply in January and February, it's too soon to know whether the new tuition rate will make a difference.

"We have actually called the students and told them about the tuition reduction and we sent mailings out," Welsh said. "This is something we absolutely want to market very heavily."

Alex Perkowski, a graduate of Hinsdale Central High School and a sophomore at the University of South Dakota, said he's glad to be studying in the Great Plains. A receiver on the school's football team, he hikes and hunts and has visited Mt. Rushmore..............
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                            X