Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Regents To Consider Tuition Break For Nonreside

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=0,43354

The state Board of Regents is being asked to consider a cut in tuition for nonresident students.

"Proponents say the plan is a way for the board to expand enrollment at South Dakota's six state-run universities.

The regents reported strong enrollment this fall. But a committee studying the issue says that in the next decade, the number of high school graduates is expected to decline and that will hurt university enrollment."

Re: SD Regents To Consider Tuition Break For Nonre

Originally posted by Jacks99
    http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=0,43354

The state Board of Regents is being asked to consider a cut in tuition for nonresident students.

"Proponents say the plan is a way for the board to expand enrollment at South Dakota's six state-run universities.

The regents reported strong enrollment this fall. But a committee studying the issue says that in the next decade, the number of high school graduates is expected to decline and that will hurt university enrollment."

Not a bad idea, actually. We're trying to at least maintain enrollment at SDSU over the next few years as the high school population drops. I think it would make SD universities more competitive and could enhance diversity at least a bit. The only high school populations that are growing are primarily minority districts. And those kids are going to need someplace to go to college.

Comment

I believe this has been approved by the BOR. Out-of-state tuition will be cut in half. On the surface this seems necessary given the decrease in SD high school students. Not sure what the budget impact will be but I suspect some money will be lost, at least early, under this policy.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

According to the Offical BOR website the measure to cut out of state tuition was approved. Also I saw something in the Brookings Register but its not on the web, only the print version. The justification based on a study feels that the loss in revenue could be made up in volumne of additional students. I sure the BOR can go back and reconsider if this measure creates blood letting.

Here is the BOR web link:

http://www.ris.sdbor.edu/

Comment

What I find amazing is that no one on the board has made a post about how the tuition break will benefit scholarship dollars. Lower tuition means less $$$ needed to bring an out of stater (not covered by prior reciprocity agreements) into the athletic programs. Definately a big win for all of the scholarship sports in all of SD's universities.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Potential downside, more students paying less money likely means larger class sizes with less funding. Money will have to be re-directed from somewhere.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just saw a study of high school populations comparing the number of high school students in 2004 compared to the projections for 2012. Let me give a few examples:

2004 2012 Difference
              Aberdeen 1175 1066 -109
              Brookings 787 837 +50
              Deuel 187 136 -51
              Gettysburg 116 82 -34
              Milbank 356 232 -124
              Huron 759 521 -238
              Mitchell 850 677 -173
              Pierre 814 693 -121
              Rapid City 4175 3815 -357
              Sioux Falls 6184 5874 -310
              Waubay 102 43 -59
              Wall 120 57 -63
              Woonsocket 59 41 -18
              Yankton 1026 831 -195

It's no wonder the Regents want to make S.D. more tuition friendly.

Comment

With the growth projected in Sioux Falls no way they drop enrollment.

Comment

The Sioux Falls school district is landlocked and does not necessarily reflect the growth of the city. Student enrollment growth will be in the surrounding communities of Harrisburg, Tea, Brandon etc. For example, Harrisburg opened and elementary school inside the city limits of Sioux Falls this year.

Comment

Alumguy. No love for Miller?
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                      Just saw a study of high school populations comparing the number of high school students in 2004 compared to the projections for 2012.  Let me give a few examples:

2004           2012       Difference
                      Aberdeen                  1175            1066        -109
                      Brookings                    787              837        +50
                      Deuel                           187             136         -51
                      Gettysburg                   116               82         -34
                      Milbank                         356             232        -124
                      Huron                           759             521        -238
                      Mitchell                         850             677        -173
                      Pierre                           814             693        -121
                      Rapid City                  4175            3815        -357
                      Sioux Falls                 6184             5874       -310
                      Waubay                      102                 43        -59
                      Wall                            120                 57        -63
                      Woonsocket                 59                 41         -18
                      Yankton                      1026            831         -195

It's no wonder the Regents want to make S.D. more tuition friendly.

What are the totals? Picking cities here and there doens't say much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74
                        The Sioux Falls school district is landlocked and does not necessarily reflect the growth of the city.  Student enrollment growth will be in the surrounding communities of Harrisburg, Tea, Brandon etc.  For example, Harrisburg opened and elementary school inside the city limits of Sioux Falls this year.
                        True, but there is a lot of land around Sioux Falls that is being annexed into the city and I think the density in the city limits will continue to increase.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

True, but there is a lot of land around Sioux Falls that is being annexed into the city and I think the density in the city limits will continue to increase.
                          Iagree land is annexed, however the city under the 2010 and beyond has no more plans to build schools.All the growth south of 57th is harrisburg school district on the west side or brandon directly to the west. SF numbers have been going down a little bit the last few years.

Comment

Tea, Brandon, Harrisburg, Hartford, etc is were all the growth is.

Comment

Jack99 is correct as to places which are growing. However, even with those growth areas, South Dakota is projected to have 3,969 fewer students in high school in 2012 ... that's seven years away.

By the way my Milwaukee friend, Miller had 166 kids in high school in 2004 and is projected to have 155 in 2012. So, the folks in Miller are doing their best.

Comment

Working...
                              X