Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: six universities under one roof

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    It's pretty common knowledge around Sioux Falls that Janklow bought a big chunk of land at an auction just west off I-29 near the I-90 Interchange. I think he has sold most of it to developers. There was lot's of speculation on how high to go on what I believe was a closed bid
    Too bad he had an air bag. ;D Just kidding, everyone relax. Its only an internet forum.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979

Isn't that the purpose of discussion boards, to discuss and speculate.  I know that's the reason i come here. Without the speculation and discussion,  i could read the argus and gojacks.com and get all the information on this board from those two sources.
      Yes it is for speculation and discussion but some are already making it sound if it is a done deal.

Comment

I was reminded tonight that the BOR bought the USDSU land from the Department of Transportation, so I dont think Wild Bill can be corralled on this one. It appears this was an arm's length transaction at fair market value.

Some one else to made the comment that this purchase was a shame since it removes the land from the tax rolls. Well that cant be much of a worry since the DOT is not a taxpayer but rather a dept that uses tax money that you and I pay each time we fill our cars and truck up with gas.

So maybe Harvey Jewett was just doing his job.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          Again, a subject I am not that knowledgable about.  My understanding of USDSU is that the BOR and universities created it to address the desire of many Sioux Falls area residents seeking post high school education in a non-traditional university setting.  I had no idea a full-fledged, 4-year degree granting institution with a traditional campus was ever intended.

Is there a precedent for this somewhere else out there or is this specut?
          In Idaho:

UI Coeur d'Alene:

http://www.uicda.uidaho.edu

UI Boise:

http://boise.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=32724

UI Twin Falls:

http://www.ag.uidaho.edu/twinfalls/#

UI Idaho Falls:

http://www.if.uidaho.edu/

So what about USDSU-Sioux Falls and USDSU-Rapid City?

Comment

Welcome to the board Rabbitt_Potatohead, thanks for posting.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Thanks 89Rabbit.

Also, Idaho State University has a few centers, including a joint one with UI, Lewis and Clark State and North Idaho College in Coeur d'Alene:

http://www.isu.edu/other.shtml

North Idaho Center for Higher Education:

http://www.myniche.org/

Idaho Falls Center for Higher Education which is a joint program between UI and ISU:

http://www.univplace.org/che.html

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                I was reminded tonight that the BOR bought the USDSU land from the Department of Transportation, so I dont think Wild Bill can be corralled on this one. It appears this was an arm's length transaction at fair market value.

Some one else to made the comment that this purchase was a shame since it removes the land from the tax rolls. Well that cant be much of a worry since the DOT is not a taxpayer but rather a dept that uses tax money that you and I pay each time we fill  our cars and truck up with gas.

So maybe Harvey Jewett was just doing his job.
                The land I'm talking about is well North of the USDSU land.

Comment

Story from today's Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0352/1001/NEWS

Go State! ;D

Comment

Distance learning opportunities is something that exists at a number of institutions. Troy University in Troy, AL (of Sun Belt fame, and formerly known as Troy State) has not only branch campuses in AL, but learning centers in other states and even international locations, offering a lot of courses through the military. Maybe USDSU and all the participating SD universities could go international with multiple learning centers and cater to the military or other niches and make a profit off of such a concept of distant education:

http://www.troy.edu/sites.htm

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

The land I'm talking about is well North of the USDSU land.
                      Its still a good place to own land. Thats were I would think a great deal of development would happen with or without the USDSU campus. Gee, I wish I was a friend of Bill. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitt_Potatohead
                        Distance learning opportunities is something that exists at a number of institutions.  Troy University in Troy, AL (of Sun Belt fame, and formerly known as Troy State) has not only branch campuses in AL, but learning centers in other states and even international locations, offering a lot of courses through the military.  Maybe USDSU and all the participating SD universities could go international with multiple learning centers and cater to the military or other niches and make a profit off of such a concept of distant education:

http://www.troy.edu/sites.htm
                        Thanks for mentioning Troy.  You would hope that Thad Perry and his staff at the BOR would be knowledgeable about these various ideas that are working in various places of the country.

I went through Troy a couple of years ago. Its smaller than Brookings. Troy U is the tail that wags the dog. They have great facilities , academically and athletically, except their BB facility looks a lot like Hyslop Field house which UND no longer uses. FB and BB very new and very state of the art. Its a model that SDSU should take a look at.

Comment

The Argus today has another article on USDSU and includes some legislative reactions and where they stand. I think the announcement of this past week may not be a done deal.

Here is the link:
                          http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...601080352/1001

USDSU plan to expand draws debate
                          Similar idea defeated in 1997

RANDY HASCALL
                          rhascall@argusleader.com

Article Published: 01/8/06, 2:55 am

Plans to buy 263 acres in northwest Sioux Falls and expand USDSU to that site are drawing both praise and criticism in the days after Gov. Mike Rounds announced he will ask the Legislature for approval and money.

Supporters call it a wise move that meets growing educational needs in the state's largest city. Critics say it's a risky and costly step toward establishing a seventh South Dakota public university and hurting other schools.

Northern State University President Pat Schloss views the proposal as a welcome opportunity for his school, which is based in Aberdeen.

"We're very excited about it," Schloss said.

NSU is adding a banking and financial services major and will begin offering classes through USDSU next fall. Schloss said the proposed campus would expand opportunities and create a permanency for USDSU, which now operates in leased space at Southeast Technical Institute.

But state Senate Minority Leader Garry Moore, D-Yankton, said he thinks the governor's proposal faces a tough sell in the Legislature. He said legislators were assured two years ago that if USDSU was to expand, it wouldn't be through construction of its own campus and building.

The new building would be located immediately south of North 60th Street, bordered on the west by Marion Road and on the east by Interstate 29.

Moore said the proposal amounts to creating a seventh state public university, even though three already exist within 60 miles of Sioux Falls - at Vermillion, Brookings and Madison.

"I think the Legislature may just balk at this," Moore said. "Quite frankly, it's déja vu."

Shot down in 1997

The discussion is reminiscent of a battle that took place nine years ago. In 1997, a plan to appropriate $6.2 million for a Sioux Falls Center for Public Higher Education building died in the Legislature.

In the new proposal, Rounds said he'll ask the Legislature to approve acquisition of the land and appropriate $8 million to construct a classroom building on the site. The Regents would buy the land, now owned by the state Department of Transportation, at market value using $5.8 million from the Great Plains Education Foundation.

Regents haven't yet approved the proposal and haven't even discussed it in a public meeting. They won't take any action until the Legislature acts.

Dick Brown of Sioux Falls, a House Republican during the 1997 proposal, fought unsuccessfully that session to win financing. This week, Brown praised the plan that Rounds announced.

"I think it's an excellent proposal. It clearly reflects a growing and expanding population base and educational needs," Brown said. "Clearly, the need is there and the rationale is sound. It's a great thing, really for the state of South Dakota. Everyone wins."

Comment

Just wondering if they might want to move the state capital to Sioux Falls, too. If the population is migrating to Sioux Falls, state government ought to be close to where the people are.

Comment

;D
                              Originally posted by Alumguy
                              Just wondering if they might want to move the state capital to Sioux Falls, too.  If the population is migrating to Sioux Falls, state government ought to be close to where the people are.
                              ;D ;D

Hey that makes since if you live in SF and have a business in SF. Why would anyone want to live anywhere else in the state? Its beyond me. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                                Just wondering if they might want to move the state capital to Sioux Falls, too. If the population is migrating to Sioux Falls, state government ought to be close to where the people are.
                                Oh, the capital should stay in Pierre . . . but the Governor should live in Sioux Falls Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays, and the Legislature should meet there Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and every other Sunday.

You don't want to "duplicate programs" after all.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X