Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: six universities under one roof

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    I agree with many of the points made by HoboD. The question I have is are kids today really interested in the traditional college campus experience so many of us on this board enjoyed?
    How would they be different? I dont think they are much different, just have better opportunities.   Some like myself dont like to go to class and I wish they would have  had online courses in the mid 1960's. I would have taken advantage of them for some courses.

I dont think all the small towns in SD are going to be wiped off the map in the next 40 years, and yes some are hurting but they still have a chance of survival.

Going to a communitity of 18000 as compared to one 150,000 might be less stressful to some traditional students.  

The increase in online courses kind of makes you wonder but I think its a feature that is working for all ages and I see no reason to close DSU or NSU because of this one aspect or change in instructional format.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

So you know more than me about Sioux Falls, fine. You probably do have a good feel for the current situation. I will give you that credit, but if you buy all the projections hook, line and sinker fine too * * * *. I will be 99 when the 2040 census are counted, and they just may not include me among the living. That does not bother me either. I just dont agree with these rosy projections for Sioux Falls. Mainly because this kind of growth will affect real estate values considerably and it may have already changed some things base on the BOR move to get the current property, which is a ways from downtown SF and what does that tell you. Property north of SF is going higher and higher.

I would caution you to not be so biased about how the whole state is revolving around Sioux Falls. I dont think it does and other parts of the state have a great chance for growth. Thats my point.

I also agree with HoboD. None of the existing schools are on the chopping block and even if that day comes, they will not go down without a fight. Thanks too for the comments about Southern. It was a mind jogger.
      Real Estate Values are relative to what you are paying in your current location. Sioux Falls Real Estate is overpriced when you compare it to other South Dakota communities, but not when you compare it to other states or metro areas it's a value. I bet ADP (Automatic Data Processing)which is putting a facility on the Northwest side of Sioux Falls and hails from New Jersey thinks they got a good value compared to land aquistiton costs in New Jersey. I agree many communities in South Dakota have something to offer companies that are expanding or relocating into South Dakota. Watertown and Brookings are great success stories as they have lured Minnesota based companies to their fine communities.

Comment

Finally some common ground of agreement. No doubt ADP did find a bargin, and thats what the whole state of SD has to offer cheap real estate for those overtaxed and overgrown businesses on the east and west coast.
        When they all discover the bargin here in SD, then its a bidding contest which affects everyone living here.

Base on my relocation experience, houses that are affordable to me namely $100,000 to $150,000 in Brookings are grossly overpriced, and thats why I live in Arlington. Long story, but I guess I have since become more of a fan for small towns. I know the experience of jumping in the car and driving to Woodfield Mall, Schamburg Ill, besides living in Columbus, Ne but its more fun to live in a small town and plan your trips and how you spend your money.

Comment

How would they be different? I dont think they are much different, just have better opportunities.   Some like myself dont like to go to class and I wish they would have  had online courses in the mid 1960's. I would have taken advantage of them for some courses.

I dont think all the small towns in SD are going to be wiped off the map in the next 40 years, and yes some are hurting but they still have a chance of survival.

Going to a communitity of 18000 as compared to one 150,000 might be less stressful to some traditional students.  

The increase in online courses kind of makes you wonder but I think its a feature that is working for all ages and I see no reason to close DSU or NSU because of this one aspect or change in instructional format.
          They are vastly different! A student attending USDSU is taking 5 or 6 credits vs a full load at typical university of 15 or 16 credits. Most students attending USDSU are working full or part time and may be still living at home or commuting each day. Under this scenario they probably have less discretionary time. My question is this the kind of college experience that 18 and 19 year old students are seeking these days?

Comment

Very interesting observation and question. I dont know the answer and will not pretend I do. Good question though.

Comment

Originally posted by ballz

The question I have will be what the majors offered at this school will be.  My guess is that it will be a combination of whatever is offered at the school that gets shut down, plus a few others that aren't offered anywhere yet.  The BOR has really limited this new school by the no duplication clause they have instituted in SD.  
              The problem is they want the "best" or most popular programs from every university. When it becomes a 4 year degree granting university I can't see it dropping programs. They will probably duplicate programs and break the no duplication clause.

DSU will be the one to go. Geographically it is hurt. Also, it will offer alot of its technology degrees at USDSU. The computer labs etc will already be there. DSU will no longer have the corner on that market.

Someone asked earlier if I've asked about the land. I haven't yet. The general answer I took is they want room to expand into the future and land prices will go up as they get swallowed by the city. Also, they could sell some of the land off for development and use the money to build more buildings. We are still working on the information side of things.

Comment

People, People...why do we have a tendancy on this board to make things happen before they do or even are?

As of now it is only a non-trad school affiliation, as far as the future, it is supposed to stay that way. Lets not build something up behond what is going on.

Everyone is making great points here but lets not get a head of the system. IMHO, I think the land purchase was because of the market value today as compared to tomorrow. With that it sets land aside for future research development and profit for the BOR at a later time. Whether it is for future growth or incoming business to the state.

el-presidente, love you buddy but I think you are getting sucked into a hornets nest here. We'll talk about it tomorrow night.

Comment

Again, a subject I am not that knowledgable about. My understanding of USDSU is that the BOR and universities created it to address the desire of many Sioux Falls area residents seeking post high school education in a non-traditional university setting. I had no idea a full-fledged, 4-year degree granting institution with a traditional campus was ever intended.

Is there a precedent for this somewhere else out there or is this specut?
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think we have had in Sioux Falls, a working force, who has always wanted to better themselves with further better and more education. USDSU as others have said was created to meet this demand in Sioux Falls. It has done a good job so far and when the institutions such as USD DSU and SDSU who are the providers run out of space, what are the BOR to do?  They have done exactly what they have announced this week. I think as Jackmd has said we should not react to something that has not happened namely a seventh state assisted institution with a campus in Sioux Falls.
                    The campus is a reality and six institutions with existing programs will provide the opportunity.

I think JackguyII raised an interesting question about what current students, wanting to forgo traditonal college work and mix their work career with educational opportunities.  
                    After thinking about it any city of any size seems to have young working full time and getting education and this has gone for decades. Although we have had our fun with Big Jake and Mav NO 1, UNO has been a USDSU for a very long time, the only difference its been a separate institution, but its never threaten the other state assisted colleges and I personally don't see USDSU doing that either.

Comment

Based on a conversation I had this morning, I am going to add a comment. The person I spoke with felt that down the road a Sioux Falls State University could be a reality. When it happens, no one now knows. I know I am going to worry more about paying my car insurance then when whether a full fledged institution developes in Sioux Falls. I am just going to continue be a loyal alum and be supportive of SDSU.  Thats all you can do. It does not hurt to pay attention to life in South Dakota  as it head into the future. It should be very interesting.

Comment

I think a lot of people are not too trusting of the intentions of the officials on this issue. They say that demand has forced them to buy land. In 5-10 years, the demand will be so great that they will be forced to offer degrees. The whole process here is taking away the responsibility of the officials in charge. They are saying, "Hey, its not my fault. We really have no choice but for this to happen." When government officials play that game, it concerns me.

My biggest concern is a lack of a public plan. Lets get the intentions of the BOR, Governor, and Legislature in writing. Anytime an organization says "trust us, there is no plan to move in that direction" without putting it in writing, it is suspect. To me, this whole process seems to be going down a slippery slope with an inevitable end.

On a totally different note, and possibly a conspiracy theory, but doesn't former Gov. Janklow own a whole bunch of land around the I29-I90 interchange. I'm sure a public university close to his property bodes well for his pocketbook. ;D
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                          People, People...why do we have a tendancy on this board to make things happen before they do or even are?
                          Isn't that the purpose of discussion boards, to discuss and speculate. I know that's the reason i come here. Without the speculation and discussion, i could read the argus and gojacks.com and get all the information on this board from those two sources.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
                            I think a lot of people are not too trusting of the intentions of the officials on this issue.  They say that demand has forced them to buy land.  In 5-10 years, the demand will be so great that they will be forced to offer degrees.  The whole process here is taking away the responsibility of the officials in charge.  They are saying, "Hey, its not my fault.  We really have no choice but for this to happen."  When government officials play that game, it concerns me.

My biggest concern is a lack of a public plan.  Lets get the intentions of the BOR, Governor, and Legislature in writing.  Anytime an organization says "trust us, there is no plan to move in that direction" without putting it in writing, it is suspect.  To me, this whole process seems to be going down a slippery slope with an inevitable end.

On a totally different note, and possibly a conspiracy theory, but doesn't former Gov. Janklow own a whole bunch of land around the I29-I90 interchange.  I'm sure a public university close to his property bodes well for his pocketbook. ;D
                            I know nothing about the Janklow properties held, but it would not surprise me.  I believe the governor has some farm holding by Brandon because some character living in farm buildings was busted for methane a while back. It turned out the land and buildings belonged to the Former Governor and US Rep. This was reported in the Argus I believe.

Its interesting that you bring this up as what makes the appearence of connections  more visible is the chairman of the BOR. Harvey Jewett, BOR president and Janklow are boyhood and life long friends since they both grew up in Flandreau. Also Jewett I believe was appointed to the BOR by Janklow. hmmmmmmmmmm. Nothing like conspiracy, but I doubt the BOR got much of a bargin here and if it was sold at market price, it does not matter who are friends and who are not friends. The land sale appears to be a good thing. I know I could not match the asking price. ;D

Who knows were USDSU will go in the next 20 years. Only time will tell.
                            Last but not least, the BOR needs a long range plan.

Comment

I know nothing about the Janklow properties held, but it would not surprise me.  I believe the governor has some farm holding by Brandon because some character living in farm buildings was busted for methane a while back. It turned out the land and buildings belonged to the Former Governor and US Rep. This was reported in the Argus I believe.

Its interesting that you bring this up as what makes the appearence of connections  more visible is the chairman of the BOR. Harvey Jewett, BOR president and Janklow are boyhood and life long friends since they both grew up in Flandreau. Also Jewett I believe was appointed to the BOR by Janklow. hmmmmmmmmmm. Nothing like conspiracy, but I doubt the BOR got much of a bargin here and if it was sold at market price, it does not matter who are friends and who are not friends. The land sale appears to be a good thing. I know I could not match the asking price. ;D

Who knows were USDSU will go in the next 20 years. Only time will tell.
                              Last but not least, the BOR needs a long range plan.
                              Oh great, you guys shouldn't have opened that can of worms. The Argus eats this kind of stuff up, especially when it involves Janklow and/or the republican party.

Comment

It's pretty common knowledge around Sioux Falls that Janklow bought a big chunk of land at an auction just west off I-29 near the I-90 Interchange. I think he has sold most of it to developers. There was lot's of speculation on how Janklow had the high bid?

Comment

Working...
                                X