Steve Hallstrom's take on the Big Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Hallstrom's take on the Big Sky

Steve Hallstrom is the WDAY Sports Director up in Fargo. He also has a Blog, and he had some interesting stuff that he posted last night.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

I talked to a couple Big Sky people today just to see what the current buzz is.

Commish Fullerton said he had a conference call with his AD's a couple days ago and for the first time he gained a sense that they now understand how difficult basketball scheduling is with 9 teams. He said some AD's want to look at adding a 10th member, but he thinks that going to 12 teams is the way to go, which he's been lobbying for for the last few months. When I asked him what options he sees out there for adding 3 more teams he said there were 2 schools in North Dakota that had positives and one in South Dakota. I asked him about the past conversations we've had when he said UND would not get a look unless they had moved to Division 1. He said that's still a concern, but just the fact that he brought UND up makes me think the Sioux may have a chance to do what they've wanted to all along, and that is get the conference invite before making the move. . . .

I also talked with Jim O'Day who's the AD at Montana. He echoed the concerns about a 9 team league, but said some people in the conference would vote for adding an associate member for basketball rather than bring on a brand new school that wasn't in the right location (hint-hint). He said that SDSU and NDSU look very much like their schools, and says there's a decent chance they'll someday be part of the Big Sky, but in his words, it will "take a while". If a while means more than a year, things could get stressful at NDSU, since the Bison are basically 2 years away from being playoff eligible in FB and BB. Jim said expansion will definitely come up at the spring meetings.

Big Sky presidents meet on May 23rd in Missoula. Things may get interesting then.

Posted by: Steve on 4/06/2006 at 11:02 PM

As you all know, I personally would rather be in the Mid-Con/Great West for a number of reasons. However either conference would be fine with me. I just don't want to get my hopes up with the Big Sky as they have jerked us around more then once already.

Go State!

Re: Steve Hallstrom's take on the Big Sky

I can't trust anything that comes from Fullerton's mouth. He says what people want to hear without concern for the truth or intentions.

Until the BSC has a change in leadership I favor a different direction for SDSU.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In my opinion, they'll realize the loss if they don't add us and we head somewhere else. Both State schools' fans travel well, both have great facilities comparitively, and both have storied traditions in an individual sport and an overall tradition of excellence in sports. From a pure $$ standpoint, we'd be a good addition. Adding NDSU's football history (and hopefully our growing tradition) and SDSU's basketball history (and NDSU's "Badger Killers" growing legend) adds instant cred to the conference. The only negative is proximity. Which isn't much of a negative considering they have 2 west coast schools and an Arizona school already as members. If the 2 west coast schools weren't involved I think we'd be currently discussing our chances at finishing in the top 4 of the Big Sky conf.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

My impression is that Fullerton says whatever the person he's talking to wants to hear.

If the Big Sky wants to add two statewide Land-Grant institutions, they need to act sooner rather than later. SDSU and NDSU are the only statewide Land-Grants in play, and they happen to be in the Big Sky's general area.

I don't think Wyoming or Idaho, let alone Nevada, Utah State, Colorado State, Washington State, or Oregon State will be looking at the Big Sky any time soon. (By the way, the only statewide Land-Grant in the Big Sky right now is Montana State.)
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Taken from a post on the D2Football Board

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:16 pm Post subject: Sioux to Announce D1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like the UND Fighting Sioux are going to announce their plans to go NCAA Division I in May. Coaches are trying, and have been asked to keep it quiet but it is tough when you are out recruiting players who have DI potential.

It appears UND and NDSU will then go into the Big Sky Conference.

UND has been hurt the worst by the rivalry split. Sounds like from UND coaches, what really forced UND's hand was NDSU beating Wisconsin in men's basketball.

Comment

It would be more a surprise to me if UND did NOT move up to D-I, if not this year, then certainly next year.

What's more uncertain is what the Big Sky will do. I continue to be in wait-and-see mode.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

When I asked him what options he sees out there for adding 3 more teams he said there were 2 schools in North Dakota that had positives and one in South Dakota.  I asked him about the past conversations we've had when he said UND would not get a look unless they had moved to Division 1.  He said that's still a concern, but just the fact that he brought UND up makes me think the Sioux may have a chance to do what they've wanted to all along, and that is get the conference invite before making the move.   .  .  .

I also talked with Jim O'Day who's the AD at Montana.  He echoed the concerns about a 9 team league, but said some people in the conference would vote for adding an associate member for basketball rather than bring on a brand new school that wasn't in the right location (hint-hint).  He said that SDSU and NDSU look very much like their schools, and says there's a decent chance they'll someday be part of the Big Sky, but in his words, it will "take a while".  If a while means more than a year, things could get stressful at NDSU, since the Bison are basically 2 years away from being playoff eligible in FB and BB.  Jim said expansion will definitely come up at the spring meetings.

Big Sky presidents meet on May 23rd in Missoula.  Things may get interesting then.  
              I just find these comments very interesting. Maybe the time has come for the BSC to extend offers??

But you know as soon as UND makes their announcement, USD will follow. That could make for a very interesting BIG SKY.

Comment

But you know as soon as UND makes their announcement, USD will follow.

Based on threads here, and up at Bisonville, I believe there is conclusive proof that JUST because UND jumps to D-1, that doesn't make the case that our USeD buddies will jump in the same decade. There are substantial differences between the capacities in Grand Forks and in Vermillion to make the switch. USD is likely to NOT leap as to move up. In some regards they would be substantially be better off being the BIG school in D-II than to be the proverbial doormat in D-1.

With Filbert, re Big Sky. Get the invite THEN know if get to move. There is some definite drawbacks to the Big Sky, with baseball and wrestling leading the flags.

Comment

I wonder if the BSC would ever look at adding SDSU as an associate member for basketball.  It would atleast be a start, and I'm sure it would lead to full membership down the road. I wonder who else they would be thinking about for basketball membership. Utah Valley?, what other independents are in the west? Maybe if we could make it worth their while (ie. travel incentives) we could get our foot in the door. We could be the travel partner for UNC. Just a thought, although probably not realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
                    Based on threads here, and up at Bisonville, I believe there is conclusive proof that JUST because UND jumps to D-1, that doesn't make the case that our USeD buddies will jump in the same decade.  There are substantial differences between the capacities in Grand Forks and in Vermillion to make the switch.  USD is likely to NOT leap as to move up.  In some regards they would be substantially be better off being the BIG school in D-II than to be the proverbial doormat in D-1.

With Filbert, re Big Sky.  Get the invite THEN know if get to move.  There is some definite drawbacks to the Big Sky, with baseball and wrestling leading the flags.
                    Agreed. USD is in better shape than they were 3 years ago but still has a little ways to go. They do have some donors with deep pockets (I believe deeper than we have) who may or may not get behind the move to DI. When UND announces their move it will force USD to commit. The will either have to accept DII or take the leap of faith. We are the pioneers.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

USD will have to do a lot of fundraising and get their s t u f f together to move to D1 but I don't see them making the move :exclamation

Comment

Why do you think USD will allows itself to be left out of the association?

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucky
                          Why do you think USD will allows itself to be left out of the association?

It doesn't sound like the Big Sky has any interest in USD.

. . . "When I asked him what options he sees out there for adding 3 more teams he said there were 2 schools in North Dakota that had positives and one in South Dakota." (Fullerton said) . . .   .

Even if USD did decide to move up, that doesn't mean they would have a home.  

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                            [quote author=Luckylucky link=1144419356/0#11 date=1144612745]Why do you think USD will allows itself to be left out of the association?

It doesn't sound like the Big Sky has any interest in USD.

.  .  .  "When I asked him what options he sees out there for adding 3 more teams he said there were 2 schools in North Dakota that had positives and one in South Dakota."  (Fullerton said) .  .  .   .

Even if USD did decide to move up, that doesn't mean they would have a home.  

Go State!  
                            [/quote]

We don't have a home either. I'll be very, very, pissed if NDSU and UND get an invite and we get left out in the cold.

Comment

Yeah, if that happens I'd be pissed too! But how'd ya like to be in NDSU position and after doing all the trash talking they done over the years they are still the tail of the dog in that state and needed the big green dog to come to their aid in securing the place that they have wanted all these years. Those poor basters, it's almost funny isn't it?

Why doesn't SDSU forget all about this stuff of tagging along with NDSU and try for the spot that's going to come open in the Gateway when WKU moves up? They can stay in the Mid-Con for everything else and move into a real football conference. If we have to play them for non-con games that should be good enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X