Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Huge Mid-Con news

Originally posted by jackrabit1
    So is this just a formality, or is this something that we'll have to fight like hell to get?
    From the Fargo Forum (sub site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=sports

NDSU makes progress towards affiliation

Forum staff reports, The Forum
    Published Wednesday, June 28, 2006

North Dakota State took a major step in landing conference affiliation today. The Mid-Continent Conference announced NDSU will be one of three schools to get a site visit by the league.

"This is a very, very important step for us," said NDSU President Joe Chapman, while on his way to the Bison Sports Arena to congratulate members of the athletic department. "This is good news for everybody."

The Mid-Con Presidents Council, meeting Tuesday in Chicago, said it will move ahead with NDSU, South Dakota State and Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne. It's generally considered a formality that site visits lead to conference acceptance.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Site visits like this are basically the final step. I'd say we're in unless the school somehow flubs the site visit badly.

Fire up those shiny new Dak scoreboards, Fred!
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
        So is this just a formality, or is this something that we'll have to fight like hell to get?
        I dont think we will have to fight like haitus to win an invitation into the Mid Con, but no doubt all connected to the adminstration will have to be on their best and provide answers to any concerns. I tend to think our facilites are pretty close to what others in the Mid Con have. I think if we are deficient in any way, the remainder of the Mid Con Membership would allow us an opportunity to correct.

With the MidCon being down to seven members, they no doubt need additional members. I dont think those members will come from higher rank conferences and I suppose the Mid Con has no other choice but to look at the more recent members of NCAA D1.

Having competed well at the Mid Con swimming conference meet has to have been a bigger eye opener than most of us would imagine. We have had some great swimmers who are also great students. Two of them are pharmacy majors no less, which outside of engineering is a very demanding course of study and yet these guys found time to compete in swimming. A very patient Brad Erickson the swimming coach may end up being the hero here if SDSU gets an invite to join the Mid Cont.

Comment

Congrats to all the SDSU fans. Its a great day for SDSU and NDSU.

Comment

Looking at the sports offered by Mid Con, it looks like we are missing one, mens soccer. NDSU is missing mens soccer and men and womens tennis. As a tennis supporter, I would hope NDSU would consider adding tennis, and I would think the Jacks would want to bolster their program to coincide with the Mid Con to match the current Mid Con membership.

Comment

good news now we wait to have visitors, too bad we won't have much going on in july on campus, a conference home isnt a home with out the dome up in fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                Looking at the sports offered by Mid Con, it looks like we are missing one, mens soccer. NDSU is missing mens soccer and men and womens tennis. As a tennis supporter, I would hope NDSU would consider adding tennis, and I would think the Jacks would want to bolster their program to coincide with the Mid Con to match the current Mid Con membership.
                I would doubt that adding men's soccer is on the agenda any time soon. If you look at the annual report, we have lots of sports that won't be at full scholarship support levels even by 2010.

For men's sports, in FY 2010 we'll be at:
                Baseball will be at 7 (max 11.7)
                Cross-country/track will be at 5.5 (max 12.6)
                Golf at 0.25 (max 4.5)
                Swimming & diving 1.25 (max 9.9)
                Tennis 0.5 (max 4.5)
                Wrestling 7.5 (max 9.9)
                (Football and basketball will be fully funded to 63 and 13, respectively)

For women's sports:
                Cross Country/track 15.5 (max 18)
                Golf 5.0 (max 6)
                Soccer 11.0 (max 12)
                Swimming & diving 10.5 (max 14)
                Tennis 2.0 (max 8)
                (Basketball, equestrian, softball, and volleyball will be fully funded to 15, 15, 12, and 12 respectively)

I'd like to see baseball and wrestling fully funded with 6.9 more schollies (which would also max out women's soccer, X-country/track, and and swimming/diving) before even thinking about adding another sport. Let's try to be good at what we're doing now before we take on new sports.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  I'd like to see baseball and wrestling fully funded with 6.9 more schollies (which would also max out women's soccer, X-country/track, and and swimming/diving) before even thinking about adding another sport.  Let's try to be good at what we're doing now before we take on new sports.
                  I agree 100%.

Go State!

Comment

;D Finally some real progress to hang our hats on.

With only 3 schools listed for visits, it looks very good for all three!!!

Comment

KELO has a quote from Dr. Oien in their on-line story:

http://www.keloland.com/Sports/NewsD...cfm?ID=0,49079

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien says the university has been in touch with other schools that have gone through the site-visit process to see what's involved.

He says it's an opportunity for the university to "put its best foot forward" and show that it would be a good member of the conference.

I know we are not quite done yet, but I think a hardy congratulations and thank you are due to President Miller, Dr. Oien, and everyone at the University that has gotten us this far in the process, so here goes .  .  . Thank you very much, keep up to good work!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  

Go State!  

Comment

Ditto on the congratulations!!! The amount of work that President Miller, Dr. Oien, Keith Mahlum, Rob Peterson, and EVERYONE in the Athletic Dept. has done to get to this point is incredible. I have a good feiling that we may finally have a home. That MID CON logo is going to look great on the FROST ARENA floor!!!

Comment

I take this opportunity to repeat the Congratulations. I will go a step further and include all the coaching staffs also. This will surely help make their jobs easier.

Comment

Solari article in the Argus:
                            The league's presidents met Tuesday, but Mid-Continent Commissioner Tom Douple didn't call SDSU President Peggy Miller with the good news until early Wednesday morning.

"It's not the call. The call is yet to come," Miller said joyfully. "But it was a nice call to receive."
                            And a welcome one for outgoing president Miller, who is done in December, and Athletic Director Fred Oien, who announced SDSU's move to Division I in August 2003. The Jackrabbits have played as an independent since leaving Division II and the North Central Conference at the start of the 2004-05 school year.

"You can't imagine the smiles on the faces of the coaches and staff that worked so hard through this transition process," Oien said. "It's extremely positive. The notion that a group of schools in a conference think well enough of you to consider you, to even get a site visit, is the ultimate compliment."
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I read the little sidebar article that Solari had for the Argus today... interesting anaolgies!

So if my analogy is correct, UNO is the jilted ex-girlfriend?
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Congrats to everyone involved within the AD!

Thank goodness we have people with real vision and foresight at the steering wheel at SDSU!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X