Hobo Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day

Next question: where? Snookums would prefer a less-smoky venue. Somewhere with less music rather than more. I'm six years removed from Brookings now, so I'm not sure what the best place would be for a Friday night meeting place. The Brookings Inn's restaurant used to have pretty good wings. Ideas?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm game. Perhaps we should meet at O'Hares? It's about the most low key you could get and might not be recognized too much or perhaps the 3rd floor at the Ram?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        Next question:  where?  Snookums would prefer a less-smoky venue.  Somewhere with less music rather than more.  I'm six years removed from Brookings now, so I'm not sure what the best place would be for a Friday night meeting place.  The Brookings Inn's restaurant used to have pretty good wings.  Ideas?
        I won't be back unless some type of miracle happens and I can get away but I would suggest Cubby's. The music isn't really ever too loud and it's not real smoky either. Plenty of room and plenty of other Rabbit fans around.

Comment

Cubby's has become more popular with the bar crowd (and hence, louder) in the last couple years. They've gained more space when they turned their catering hall into a big game room, but I'm assuming that it will be next to impossible to navigate next weekend. If the top floor at The Ram was available (it might be booked for a party?), that would be the best option since it is downtwon. Otherwise, Filbert's suggestion of the Brookings Inn may be the best option.

Comment

I always liked Skinners... decent music, good beer, and you can actually move around in there!
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

You obviously havent been in Skinners lately on a weekend night?

Comment

Welllll.... it's been a while! LOL

I'd like to come up and meet everyone. I probably won't be drinking much, as I'll be heading back to Madison that night. Last thing I need is a DUI, like a certain former Vikings wide receiver.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                  Welllll.... it's been a while! LOL

I'd like to come up and meet everyone. I probably won't be drinking much, as I'll be heading back to Madison that night. Last thing I need is a DUI, like a certain former Vikings wide receiver.
                  I'm certain that the local police and the Highway Patrol will have sobriety checkpoints set up in and around Brookings for Hobo Day. There were about 40 DUI arrests in Vermillion during D-Days.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    Next question:  where?  Snookums would prefer a less-smoky venue.  Somewhere with less music rather than more.  I'm six years removed from Brookings now, so I'm not sure what the best place would be for a Friday night meeting place.  The Brookings Inn's restaurant used to have pretty good wings.  Ideas?
                    Its going to be hard to find a civil place to sit at any downtown establishment Friday or Saturday night. We always like O'hares for a quieter night out but it will be packed this weekend and probably smokey as well. The rest of the bars will be packed as well. The Pavillion (Brookings Inn) should be reasonable and would allow you to carry on a conversation while eating (and drinking) in relative comfort. Sit on the bar side and you can stay all night.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I can hardly wait for Hobo Day! I think it will be an awesome weekend for all who attend activities this weekend. I will strongly urge people who will be drinking to caution themselves. The Highway patrol has been listed to conduct sobriety checkpoints in brookings county for this month. Lets all have fun but be safe as well!

PS. Bloody Mary's at rays for the parade!

Comment

We're going for the Pavillion in the Brookings Inn for the SDSUFans Friday night get-together.

Here's the thread: http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1161626144
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Me and mrs coach, and all the little coaches will back for Hobo Day.

Running the 5K on Saturday morning.

Then, the parade.

Then, the tailgate(little coaches safely at Grampa and Grandma's)

Then, the game!

Comment

From the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61025002

Prairie theme for SDSU Hobo Days this week

by MELANIE BRANDERT
                            mbrander@argusleader.com
                            PUBLISHED: October 25, 2006

This week’s Hobo Days festival at South Dakota State University takes on a prairie theme to coincide with its 125th anniversary.

Organizer Sarah French said she expected several covered wagons in the parade, and President Peggy Miller will ride in the Wells Fargo stagecoach. Students and faculty can dress up as prairie folk or cowboys.

Student activities include the Homelycoming Pageant Wednesday night, Bum Olympics on Thursday night and Cavorts, a student talent show Friday night.

The university preschool, which was remodeled and renamed Fishback Center for Early Childhood Education, will be dedicated at 2 p.m. Friday, with an open house planned.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Nice story in the Collegian:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

Peggy's last ride
                              This year Peggy Miller celebrates her last Hobo Day as university president. Her all-time favorite Hobo Day theme? 'Camelot.'

Holly Farris

Hobo Day Week at SDSU observes old traditions while starting new ones. While President Peggy Miller readies herself for the next phase of her life beyond SDSU, she also has many fond memories of all the hobos that have come and gone during her tenure.

This Hobo Day, Miller's ninth as SDSU's leader, is also her last as president. The last nine years have given her some great memories, like her favorite Hobo Day theme, "Camelot" in 2000. "Camelot" also produced one of Miller's favorite Hobo Day memories, a float decorated to coincide with the theme.

"I still laugh about the float that was a truck bed covered in artificial grass and there was a cardboard camel standing on it," Miller said. "The sign said 'Camel Lot.'" . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X