Our new president

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new president

KELO has an item on their site about our new president. It doesn't really have any new information but is a nice profile.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,54034

Re: Our new president

Here is a letter sent from President Chicoine to all of the students general email. I especially enjoyed the third paragraph.

Dear Students:

Welcome back to campus! This promises to be a very exciting spring semester. I want to start out with a brief note to let you know how much I appreciate your efforts as a student.

Both Marcia and I have very fond memories from our days on campus where we met. We received a first-class education, and we made friends that have lasted a lifetime. From our classroom academic experiences to involvement in many campus activities to making lifelong friends, we can honestly say that SDSU changed our lives. I'm certain your experiences at SDSU will do the same for you.

This is an exciting time to be at State. Thanks to the SDSU leadership the University is now a Division I institution, and we have paved the way for other institutions to follow. We are the recognized flagship university in South Dakota.

A university is strong and vibrant when all — students, faculty and staff, alumni and friends, agency and corporate partners, the local community and donors — are at their best. We have the very best faculty and staff. Our administrators are second to none. Our alumni, friends, and donors are loyal and dedicated. SDSU has high aspirations, is a leader, and is a better place because of you.

During the coming months I look forward to meeting you. Please take a few minutes to stop and visit if we meet at Jackrabbit games, in The Union or across campus.

Thanks again for your efforts. Have a great semester!

Best Wishes,

David L. Chicoine, PhD

President - South Dakota State University

Box 2201, Administration Bldg 222

Brookings, SD 57007
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Here's a link to some more info that's on state's homepage.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/SDSU/PresidentsWelcome.cfm

Comment

If anyone can find the video link to this story that would be great. I tried but it doesn't look like it is on there. While asking the president about our move to D-I they had 3-4 highlights from the WBB game at Minnesota. It was a great addition to the story and it was great seeing the highlights to the game while listening to the president speak.

Comment

I enjoyed watching it on the news. I especially enjoyed the fact that the winning basket was one of the highlights included.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
            Here is a letter sent from President Chicoine to all of the students general email. I especially enjoyed the third paragraph.

Dear Students:

Welcome back to campus! This promises to be a very exciting spring semester. I want to start out with a brief note to let you know how much I appreciate your efforts as a student.

Both Marcia and I have very fond memories from our days on campus where we met. We received a first-class education, and we made friends that have lasted a lifetime. From our classroom academic experiences to involvement in many campus activities to making lifelong friends, we can honestly say that SDSU changed our lives. I'm certain your experiences at SDSU will do the same for you.

This is an exciting time to be at State. Thanks to the SDSU leadership the University is now a Division I institution, and we have paved the way for other institutions to follow. We are the recognized flagship university in South Dakota.

A university is strong and vibrant when all — students, faculty and staff, alumni and friends, agency and corporate partners, the local community and donors — are at their best. We have the very best faculty and staff. Our administrators are second to none. Our alumni, friends, and donors are loyal and dedicated. SDSU has high aspirations, is a leader, and is a better place because of you.

During the coming months I look forward to meeting you. Please take a few minutes to stop and visit if we meet at Jackrabbit games, in The Union or across campus.

Thanks again for your efforts. Have a great semester!

Best Wishes,

David L. Chicoine, PhD

President - South Dakota State University

Box 2201, Administration Bldg 222

Brookings, SD 57007
            Maybe by appropriating that phrase from USD (and from some of the regents who use it for USD as well) our new president is declaring his independence, suggesting that we won't be held back by others. Or maybe it's just a throwaway. It's nice to hear, though.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

An article from the Huron Plainsman about President Chicoine:

http://www.plainsman.com/fe_view_art...&heading=0

It's great to see President Chicoine make the rounds across the state and reach out to various groups.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                An article from the Huron Plainsman about President Chicoine:

http://www.plainsman.com/fe_view_art...&heading=0

It's great to see President Chicoine make the rounds across the state and reach out to various groups.
                Great find, Nighthawk!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Dr. Chicoine will be in Yankton at the Hillcrest C.C. on Tuesday, March 6th. I will be there to meet him in person. Anyone else in the Yankton area interested in attending should contact the alumni association.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Mr. Beck weighs in on Dr. Chicoine is his Sunday editorial:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...131/COLUMNISTS

Some highlights:

Mere weeks into his new job as SDSU president, Chicoine talks and acts like a guy who understands that history and circumstance have presented him with a unique opportunity to move the university, and thus the state, to a place it's not been before.
                    Chicoine understands that and seems willing to piggyback on virtually anything at his disposal - his own links to Argonne, the possibility of an underground science lab at the former Homestake Mine, even T. Denny Sanford's $400 million gift to Sanford Health - to catapult the state's largest university into the next tier.
                    And, I'll dedicate this tidbit to our friends at USD:
                    There is evidence he has a vision for an SDSU of the future and understands it will take energy, commitment and an ambitious plan to get there. "Hope," he told me, "is not a strategy."

Comment

Looks like SDSU is not going to missing a beat in the transition to the new president. I was hoping to meet in Yankton Tuesday, but am going to region BB in SF.

I am excited to see a man of his stature with an attitude of looking forward without looking to see what anyone else in the state is doing. We will be the leaders that others will follow. It appears that through his experience and networks, SDSU is poised to move upward and onward. Go get 'em!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
                        Looks like SDSU is not going to missing a beat in the transition to the new president. I was hoping to meet in Yankton Tuesday, but am going to region BB in SF.

I am excited to see a man of his stature with an attitude of looking forward without looking to see what anyone else in the state is doing. We will be the leaders that others will follow. It appears that through his experience and networks, SDSU is poised to move upward and onward. Go get 'em!!
                        I will be there to greet the new President tomorrow. I won't argue with anything 4Life has to say except that we are already the leader that others are following, especially southeast u.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Hey MD I have been waiting patiently for your thoughts on the President's visit to Yankton.

What gives?
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                            Hey MD I have been waiting patiently for your thoughts on the President's visit to Yankton.  

What gives?
                            Short on time last night and too darn busy this morning. I'll post a link to an article from the Yankton paper when I have a chance. Might not be for awhile. Nothing too exciting was said. Basically talked about increasing infrastructure and facilities while trying to expand faculty base to accomodate more students. Nearing the max that we can support right now. President wasn't sure there was much more potential for growth given the decreasing pool of high school students. Wants to focus and maintaining current numbers, expanding research, improving facilities. Pushing the Jackrabbit Guaruntee hard. He isn't too concerned about the expansion of the university in Sioux Falls.

Comment

An article from the Mitchell Daily Republic about President Chicoine's visit to Mitchell:

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/arti...p;section=news

SDSU president: New era for college funding
                              Seth Tupper The Daily Republic
                              Published Wednesday, March 07, 2007
                              New South Dakota State University President David Chicoine said Tuesday that public universities have to fend increasingly for themselves under a “new model” of funding that is overtaking higher education.

Mandated programs are consuming a greater share of state revenues, Chicoine said, leaving a smaller share of “discretionary” money for other programs.

“Discretionary money is less and less,” Chicoine told The Daily Republic’s editorial board, “and higher education has always been in the discretionary pool in the state policy process.” (read more)

Comment

Working...
                              X