• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D-I Challenge

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/SPORTS

Mid-Con foe still learning
    Missouri-Kansas City hasn't had rosy jump to Division I status

PUBLISHED: December 24, 2006

Editor's Note: This continues a series of stories looking at the challenges SDSU's Division I competitors have faced or overcome.

By Terry Vandrovec

tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. - It would be an oversimplification to say that the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos jumped directly from the NAIA to NCAA Division I solely to keep big-time basketball alive in the city's downtown.

But, in a nutshell, that's what happened 20 years ago, according to Will Rudd, the school's associate athletic director. The NBA's Kansas City Kings left the Municipal Auditorium - host of a record nine NCAA Final Fours - and the Kangaroos moved in.

"Back in the mid-'80s when they did that, there weren't a lot of criteria to make that move (to Division I)," Rudd said. "They thought there was demand to have basketball in downtown Kansas City and UMKC was a growing university. You need a Division I team to have that crowd. We may have made that move a little prematurely, but we're learning."  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Sounds a little bit like some of the rumblings from an institution in our states largest city. Not necessarily a good reason to move DI.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It has been a while, but here is Terry's next story in this series:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...04/1002/SPORTS

IPFW getting by without state athletic funds
        University has become 'creative with donations and ticket sales'

By By Terry Vandrovec
        Published: March 3, 2007

Editor's note: This is part of a series examining issues other Division I schools have had to go through. SDSU and USD probably will face some of the same issues.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - A statement printed in a brochure for the Royal Dons Club - Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne's athletic booster group - says it all: "IPFW receives no scholarship monies from Indiana or Purdue. None."

How often do pamphlets have an incredulous tone?

Associate Athletic Director Tim Heffron has been at the school - a joint venture between Indiana and Purdue funded largely by the latter - for 20 years and he's still getting over it.

And you thought the South Dakota Board of Regents was tough.

"They say, 'We don't give state funds for athletics. Not at all. Zero. We don't get anything," Heffron reiterated. "You become creative with donations and ticket sales and fundraising and marketing."

This has been especially challenging of late.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Another installment:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...06/1002/SPORTS

N.J. Tech and its Division I rush

By By Terry Vandrovec
          Published: March 5, 2007

Editor’s note: This is part of a series examining issues other Division I schools have had to go through. SDSU and USD probably will face some of the same issues.

NEWARK, N.J. – When Lenny Kaplan became the athletic director at New Jersey Institute of Technology, the school – in his words – wasn’t running a competitive NCAA Division II program.

Why, then, just seven years later, have the Highlanders begun the transition to Division I?

“We are a state-sponsored research university,” he said. “As any school will tell you, any president will tell you, any faculty will tell you, they always want to be amongst their academic peers.”

Founded in 1881, New Jersey Tech brought in $75 million for research in 2005 and ranked in the top 150 nationally, according to one study. Yet the school didn’t have dorms until 1978 and competed at the Division III level as recently as 1996-97.
          The Highlanders have gone from zero to 80 athletic scholarships in 10 years. To help pay for the staggering increase, they’ve started a $5 million fundraising campaign, advanced a pre-existing endowment and launched an athletic booster group.

Money isn’t all that needs to be raised – or razed. Vacant land is scarce in Newark, limiting options for necessary facility upgrades to building up or tearing down. The soccer team opened a new on-campus complex in 2004 – the deep green color of its artificial grass is striking in the concrete jungle – and the baseball team has a long-term contract to share a $30 million downtown stadium with a professional team. However, the Fleisher Center – home to the Highlanders’ basketball teams – is dimly lit and seats just 1,500 people with one side of permanent bleachers. A second set will be added next year, Kaplan said, a temporary fix to a transitional facility.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Here is our next installment:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...08/1002/SPORTS

Wyoming, SDSU in 'same situation'
            Scheduling is tough issue for Cowgirls

By Terry Vandrovec
            Published: March 28, 2007

Editor's note: This is part of a series examining issues other Division I schools have had to go through. SDSU and USD will face many of the same issues.

LARAMIE, Wyo. - The women's basketball teams from South Dakota State and Wyoming appeared as alike on the floor as they did on paper: Defensive-minded, perimeter oriented, unremarkably tall and not obviously overwhelming.

They are from similar-sized schools located in similar communities in rural states. They sport similarly successful records and special fan support. Both have male head coaches. One team is called the Cowgirls and the other is known for its cowbells.

"I think South Dakota State and Wyoming are in the same situation," Wyoming coach Joe Legerski said. "We're trying to step up at the Division I level and they've had a great year; you don't get 25 wins by accident."  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
            X