• D-I Challenge

Story (series) from Terry at the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../61127003/1002

Northern Iowa: Mid-major and rising
    SDSU gets taste of what a new basketball facility would be like

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    PUBLISHED: November 27, 2006

Editor’s Note: This is the first in a series of stories looking at the challenges SDSU’s Division I competitors have faced or overcome. The Jackrabbits will face many of the same problems.

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – So-called mid-majors aren’t
    supposed to live like this.
    The University of Northern Iowa opened the $26 million McLeod Center last week by hosting four events in four days, drawing large crowds and rave reviews.
    Most of the 7,000 seats are Panthers purple and located below the entry level, creating a bowl effect that lets fans check out the action while loitering on the concourse. There are massive windows on each end, luxury suites behind the north basket, an observation deck for overflow crowds, a hallway that connects to the school’s domed football stadium, a video board and multiple scoreboard panels.
    “This is why you play college basketball – for places like this,” South Dakota State guard Matt Cadwell said after putting up 25 points inside the McLeod Center on Friday night during a 69-56 loss.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: D-I Challenge

Since the Panthers’ Division I leap, the men’s basketball program is 351-377. But it has qualified for the NCAA tournament each of the past three years, cracked the top 25 for the first time last season and is scheduled to play on TV at least 13 times this winter. That kind of success opened up the coffers, as Glas put it, and made it possible to raise $26 million – roughly half the annual athletic budget – at a former D-II school that’s third fiddle in its home state.

I think its important to note the information provided in this paragragh. It has been almost 30 years since their move to DI and they cracked the top 25 just last year. The SDSU women may get there this year, maybe. Second, we aren't third fiddle, UNI clearly is.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What's the difference in enrollment compared to Northern Iowa and SDSU?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
        According to this news release, they are at 12,260 for 2006 fall enrollment.

http://www.umpr.uni.edu/news.asp?NewsID=2426
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
          They have about 800 more students.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

That's really encouraging for us then if they've had so much success!

Comment

There are certainly quite a few similiarities. However, Cedar Falls is roughly twice the size of Brookings. Having SF 45 minutes away is a plus, but it's still not the same. I lived in Brookings County for basically my whole life until a couple of years ago. I, for one, look forward to SDSU and the City of Brookings growing in population together. I'm anxious to see the state of the city and University in about 10 years. The research park is huge in regards to this growth...IMO.

Comment

Here is story 2 in the series:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...06/1002/SPORTS

Kansas' TV contract a big deal
                All home games broadcast

PUBLISHED: December 9, 2006

Editor's Note: This is the second in a series of stories looking at the challenges SDSU's Division I competitors have faced or overcome. The Jackrabbits will face many of the same problems.

By Terry Vandrovec

LAWRENCE, Kan. - Wednesday night was one of those rare instances when having one of the best television contracts in college sports felt like overexposure.

At halftime, the University of Kansas women's basketball team trailed by 20 points at home in Allen Fieldhouse against South Dakota State University. Nobody, not the most diehard members of Jayhawks Nation or any prospective members, needed to see that.

"If anybody's trying to decide if they want to come see us play," Kansas coach Bonnie Henrickson said, "hopefully they didn't turn it on the first half, they just flipped over with maybe 18 minutes left in the second half."

Televised games are still somewhat a new thing for the Jackrabbits. They are negotiating a deal for next season and are still learning about the effects of TV exposure on a program.

For the second season in a row, all of Kansas' home games are being broadcast live on Sunflower Broadband - the prevailing cable provider - in the Lawrence and Kansas City areas by a combination of at least three stations.

Although it pales in comparison to the seven-year, $40.2 million contract the Kansas men's basketball team has with ESPN, the year-by-year deal (financial terms weren't available) is believed to be the only one of its kind in the Big 12 and has been a boon to the school's long overshadowed women's program.

Last season, the Jayhawks reached the postseason for the first time in five years and averaged 2,874 fans per home game, ranking 37th nationally, up from 1,539 in 2002-03.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Part III:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...31/1002/SPORTS

Land of 10,000 college choices
                  Gophers could face recruitment challenges with recent moves to D-I

PUBLISHED: December 11, 2006
                  Editor's Note: This is the third in a series of stories looking at the challenges SDSU's Division I competitors have faced or overcome. The Jackrabbits will face many of the same problems.

By Terry Vandrovec

MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota is being surrounded.

The Land of 10,000 Lakes is one of six states - and by far the most populous at 5.1 million residents - with less than two NCAA Division I institutions.

But by 2008-09, four schools located within a one-hour drive of the Minnesota border - the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State, the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State - will have jumped to Division I in just four years.

There's no doubt that the Gophers are still at the top in the region because of - as the inside cover of the men's basketball media guide points out - their Big Ten affiliation, big-time media exposure, big-city setting and big bucks. Minnesota's 2004-05 athletic operating budget of $53.9 million was larger than all four of its transitioning neighbors combined.

Will the region's changing athletic landscape affect Minnesota at all?  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    Part III:

Editor's Note: This is the third in a series of stories looking at the challenges SDSU's Division I competitors have faced or overcome. The Jackrabbits will face many of the same problems.

By Terry Vandrovec

The Land of 10,000 Lakes is one of six states - and by far the most populous at 5.1 million residents - with less than two NCAA Division I institutions.
                    Less than two?  Is that one?  Wonder why he didn't say "one".  

Comment

Originally posted by MID-CON JACK
                      [quote author=89rabbit link=1164645194/0#8 date=1165847315]Part III:

By Terry Vandrovec

Less than two? Is that one? Wonder why he didn't say "one". [/quote]

He's probably been infected with the erroneous thought that a Division I hockey program at a Division II school somehow makes the D-II school a Division I school. According to the NCAA, such schools are in fact D-II, but playing up in a "minor" sport.

Of course, SDSU is officially an NCAA D-II school until we finish our five-year walk through the wilderness.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Maybe the less than two refers to the fact that the two states that border its West side will both have 2.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

I think the less than 2 relates to Alaska having zero.

Comment

Perhaps it was a subtle jab at the fact that the U of M, the Golden Gophers, lost to a D-II school!

You know, it was bad enough us losing to a D-III program, but for a MAJOR confernce team that consistently makes the NIT or the NCAA, and go far in those tournaments, to lose to a D-II program in an exhibition game simply boggles the mind.
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...612190325/1002

Missouri coach finds D-I success
                              Stein made transition from Emporia State

By Terry Vandrovec
                              PUBLISHED: December 19, 2006

Editor's Note: This continues a series of stories looking at the challenges SDSU's Division I competitors have faced or overcome. The Jackrabbits will face many of the same problems as they make their transition.

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Although she now stalks the sideline of a $75 million arena and has a $180,000 base contract littered with incentive clauses, Missouri women's basketball coach Cindy Stein knows about making the transition from NCAA Division II to Division I.

Prior to taking control of the Tigers in 1998, Stein was the head coach at Emporia (Kan.) State, leading the team to a 33-1 mark and the D-II title game in her third and final season there.

"There isn't any difference. It's great basketball," said Stein, whose Missouri team handed SDSU a 79-62 loss Sunday.

"The best Division II teams can compete on the Division I level and I think South Dakota State is obviously a team that's capable of being competitive in Division I, and they've proven it. I always had a high respect for Division II, because there are great coaches that never get notoriety. I was fortunate to get a Division I job."  .  .  . (read more) 

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
                              X