• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Frost Arena Capacity?

I 2nd that motion!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan

I've been around the political and university scene a longtime (PM me if you want to verify it), and the discussion over enrollment needs some explaining. President Chicoine is smart enough in his short time here to understand the demographics of SD, and our surrounding states. Do either of the two (goon or joeboo22) posters who are talking 15,000 enrollment in 10 years, ever read the news from around the state and especially during the legislative session? Small school consolidation, declining enrollments, and similar signs are everywhere.

I was a firm believer in moving to D-I for a lot of reasons, but as I testified before the Regents when it was debated, holding on to our 10,000-11,000 enrollment is a significant challenge under the trends surrounding us, and dreams of 15,000 or more students at SDSU are just that -- dreams. D-1 wasn't the complete answer, but it helps us to be more competitive in attracting students in a downward spiral which means a better future for SDSU.

Finally, I'm not posting anymore on this thread, because I think it has gotten ridiculous. Frost will someday have to be replaced. As stated before by numerous posters, there are other priorities ahead of it. When the time comes, and the 6,000 seats are not enough, I'm confident future leadership of the same caliber we have now, will get the job done.
      Amen brother!!
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Halleluiah!! Can I get a witness!!

Sorry, spirit of the moment got to me.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Goon:

When you get out of college and start your own family/career I think you'll realize that it's not the cost of season tickets that'll keep you from buying them. But it's the time/distance you are from SDSU/Brookings. That's my main reason for not buying bball season tix. If I were closer, I'd buy them. In fact, I've even talked about going in on them with friends who live closer just to have them. I'd rather donate my money to the Jackrabbit Club. In fact, I'm due to send some $$ to them. I won't buy FB season tix b/c I enjoy sitting on the other side of the field and wandering around. Just my 2 pennies.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
            Halleluiah!! Can I get a witness!!

Sorry, spirit of the moment got to me.
            I will be a witness to the dead equine.

Comment

The talk of 15,000 is just a thought, not saying that it has been the goal of the university to expand that much. Was there not a time in SDSU history where the BOR put a cap on the number of students SDSU could have because they didnt think SDSU could handel it? I know it would not be the same situation, but not thinking that it may not be a possiblity might be a slight undersight.

Im not saying that students should be priority over anyone else, but with a lower capacity in Frost more season ticket holders will make it harder for those seats left over. If the student section is full ok, and more students want to go, where are they suppose to sit? They have to sit GA then but with more reserved seats for season ticket holders There will be fewer spots available to others. So what im saying and I dont know why its seems everyone is against me, is that, that adding chair seating would be a good think but i think adding to the capacity would make more sense.

Minor changes and remolding could be made to accomdate both, I know there are more important issues that campus needs attention to but the steps at frost need to be fixed, some other addjustments and it could take care of many possible problems.

Ive never met a dead horse that I couldn't keep beating.

RLIV:
              What ever the reasons are, and there are plenty that can keep people from buying season tickets, but the fact that if they can only attend a few games every year they may be S.O.L for attending those games.

What are the actual amount for 2 season tickets? Does it vary at all or is it a set price for everyone in the reserved seating?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon
                Ive never met a dead horse that I couldn't keep beating.
                If you want to keep beating a dead horse...flail away! If you want to learn the answers to a lot of your questions, PM me and I'll be glad to meet with you personally and go over all of your posts and all of your questions. Might be helpful, might not. You choose the pony you want to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                  [quote author=goon link=1173939865/120#125 date=1174591526] Ive never met a dead horse that I couldn't keep beating.
                  If you want to keep beating a dead horse...flail away! If you want to learn the answers to a lot of your questions, PM me and I'll be glad to meet with you personally and go over all of your posts and all of your questions. Might be helpful, might not. You choose the pony you want to ride.
                  [/quote]
                  I have only just begun to defile this horse,
                  kinda like what Doc Holiday said in tombstone, only different.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Thanks Jimmy Jack. I should have investigated the complete message board before posing the capacity question.

I am reading that the consensus is that we "live with the 6000 until a new facility is built". I doubt that a new facility will be built anytime soon nor would I want a new arena. Frost Arena is a great basketball facility. Seating has been adequate since the transition to Division I. I am thinking forward to next year when both the men and women will be playing on Saturdays and in a couple of years when some of the old rivals will be coming to Frost. I would expect the demand for the men's games will increase as their talent level increases.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingJack
                      Thanks Jimmy Jack.  I should have investigated the complete message board before posing the capacity question.  

I am reading that the consensus is that we "live with the 6000 until a new facility is built".  I doubt that a new facility will be built anytime soon nor would I want a new arena.  Frost Arena is a great basketball facility.  Seating has been adequate since the transition to Division I.   I am thinking forward to next year when both the men and women will be playing on Saturdays and in a couple of years when some of the old rivals will be coming to Frost.  I would expect the demand for the men's games will increase as their talent level increases.    
                      I am with you too on the comments about next season.  I think your original question was not out of line. We did get into some interesting off topic stuff, but after two WNIT games we do know our capacity. It will be interesting to see if all season tickets for the back chairs are sold and how the GA tickets sell prior to the game. I know there are staff meetings weekly and they have to be giving thought and discussing the capacity of Frost. If we continue to get WNIT crowds and people are turned away without tickets, I would tend to think a new facilty plan would come on the project board sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                        I am with you too on the comments about next season.  I think your original question was not out of line. We did get into some interesting off topic stuff, but after two WNIT games we do know our capacity. It will be interesting to see if all season tickets for the back chairs are sold and how the GA tickets sell prior to the game. I know there are staff meetings weekly and they have to be giving thought and discussing the capacity of Frost. If we continue to get WNIT crowds and people are turned away without tickets, I would tend to think a new facilty plan would come on the project board sooner than later.
                        I'll tell you this much, friends of mine who whould never have considered buying season tickets at Frost will be buying them this year. I'm not naive enough to think I'm the only one who has heard this from their friends. So, you want to be sure you have a ticket into Frost arena? I think its pretty clear what you better do.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but maybe if we had a big enough arena we could have had a chance to keep hosting the WNIT. Then our women wouldnt have had to go on the road to lose. I really thought the women could win anywhere anytime during the tourny, but it seems obvious now. Homes teams have basically had the advantage every game so why not give our selfs the biggest advantage we could with having enough seating available in a big enough arena.

Comment

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but maybe if we had a big enough arena we could have had a chance to keep hosting the WNIT.  Then our women wouldnt have had to go on the road to lose.  I really thought the women could win anywhere anytime during the tourny, but it seems obvious now.  Homes teams have basically had the advantage every game so why not give our selfs the biggest advantage we could with having enough seating available in a big enough arena.  
                            Give it a rest!

Comment

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but maybe if we had a big enough arena we could have had a chance to keep hosting the WNIT.  Then our women wouldnt have had to go on the road to lose.  I really thought the women could win anywhere anytime during the tourny, but it seems obvious now.  Homes teams have basically had the advantage every game so why not give our selfs the biggest advantage we could with having enough seating available in a big enough arena.  
                              All you have to do to make that happen is donate $50 million or so to the athletic department to build a new arena. We have alot more things to worry about as far as athletic facilities on campus go than expanding Frost Arena for the couple of times a year it doesn't have a big enough capacity.

Comment

Goon, what do you want the University do with their limited funds. They have all sorts of priorities before we can even considering working on new arena.
                                -Upgrade Coughlin
                                -Build a Baseball Stadium
                                -Build a new track
                                -Fully fund scholarships
                                -New lockerroms for the football team

Even if they did build a new facility at can't believe it would seat more then 7000. I'm tired of this thread/argument. This is my last post regarding this issue for at least a year.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X