Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Frost Arena Capacity?

Originally posted by joeboo22
    I would much rather see them spend a few thousand and fix the bleachers so they can fill them all... 7,000 could probally be done if they fix a few things... Fix the balcony, go to all plastic bleachers-- you will loose a 100-200 but it will look alot more profesional.. I wouldn't mind seeing the bleachers go right to the floor like they use to, I don't like how its 4-5 feet where they start I always like being able to talk to the players/refs... New Arena though, lets get realistic
    SDSU has done a great job though in there steps to D-I

on campus baseball field-- being built
    on campus softball field-- being built
    scholarships-- being filled
    football field upgrades-- being planned
    track-- who cares

I agree, also season tickets are way to cheap even if we have bad teams. I attend every game in Brookings this year without season tickets. I sat whereever I wanted. I would have paid $50.00 a ticket to go to the WNIT every game for reserved, which i sat in. I pd $50.00 for a student to stand in line and get me 4 tickets each game. You could not put a price on these games. Reserved should have been double the price for uppers and 4 times the amount for lowers.

Just my thoughts!

Comment

I would much rather see them spend a few thousand and fix the bleachers so they can fill them all... 7,000 could probally be done if they fix a few things... Fix the balcony, go to all plastic bleachers-- you will loose a 100-200 but it will look alot more profesional.. I wouldn't mind seeing the bleachers go right to the floor like they use to, I don't like how its 4-5 feet where they start I always like being able to talk to the players/refs... New Arena though, lets get realistic

track-- who cares
      I suspect that is alot of people's opinion. However, if SDSU is going to sponsor track and field they need to upgrade the facilities. Right now we can't even host meets at the current track.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
        [quote author=joeboo22 link=1173939865/135#148 date=1174873890]I would much rather see them spend a few thousand and fix the bleachers so they can fill them all... 7,000 could probally be done if they fix a few things... Fix the balcony, go to all plastic bleachers-- you will loose a 100-200 but it will look alot more profesional.. I wouldn't mind seeing the bleachers go right to the floor like they use to, I don't like how its 4-5 feet where they start I always like being able to talk to the players/refs... New Arena though, lets get realistic

track-- who cares
        I suspect that is alot of people's opinion. However, if SDSU is going to sponsor track and field they need to upgrade the facilities. Right now we can't even host meets at the current track.
        [/quote]
        The planned fieldhouse will be able to host indoor track events and provide a weatherproof practice facility for track & field. And, how about hosting a D-I track & field event at Howard Wood in Sioux Falls?
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I wonder if they couldn't work with the city of Brookings and the school district to build a new track. I've never seen or heard of the city hosting a major track events. I'm not sure about the condtion of the current high school track.

Comment

It was a joke I actually have a friend that is a member of the SDSU track team.. I would like a fieldhouse but if they could make it big enough it could also house as an indoor football facility...

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
              I wonder if they couldn't work with the city of Brookings and the school district to build a new track.  I've never seen or heard of the city hosting a major track events.  I'm not sure about the condtion of the current high school track.
              Brookings School District already has a track improvement plan in place in their next phase of construction, which I think is to be completed in a couple of years. The current track is six lanes and will be expanded to eight. Brookings is the only AA school I believe with out an adequate track for competition right now.

Must be something in water. Total track apathy in Brookings.

Comment

It was a joke I actually have a friend that is a member of the SDSU track team.. I would like a fieldhouse but if they could make it big enough it could also house as an indoor football facility...
                I would go to the football site at gojacks.com and download a 2006 media guide. It will have a preliminary drawing of the proposed Student Athlete Developmental Center. It is in the first 20 or so pages off the top of my head.

Comment

I don't see what the use would be on building an expensive track for maybe one track meet a year when Howard Wood is right down the interstate and SF has the infistructer to host such a track meet.... I knew they were planning some football projects but did not know that such a buildng was in the plans.

Comment

I don't see what the use would be on building an expensive  track for maybe one track meet a year when Howard Wood is right down the interstate and SF has the infistructer to host such a track meet.... I knew they were planning some football projects but did not know that such a buildng was in the plans.

We need a track at SDSU! By using your logic, we should next bid the WNIT in Sioux Falls at the Arena since they have more seats and it is right down the road?

Comment

Originally posted by jacks r us
                      [quote author=joeboo22 link=1173939865/150#157 date=1174941846]I don't see what the use would be on building an expensive  track for maybe one track meet a year when Howard Wood is right down the interstate and SF has the infistructer to host such a track meet.... I knew they were planning some football projects but did not know that such a buildng was in the plans.

We need a track at SDSU!  By using your logic, we should next bid the WNIT in Sioux Falls at the Arena since they have more seats and it is right down the road?  [/quote]

Part of being a successful DI program is supporting all your athletic teams.  If you don't do that, then you might as well drop the programs. If our goal is to get in the MVC or another conference, we need to have decent facilities for all of our programs. Even if we stay in the MidCon, part of improving the conference will depend on becoming competitive in non-revenue sports. I would hate to see 10-15 years from now, the MVC turn us down because our track and tennis facilities aren't up to par with conference standards. Its all part of being a DI institution. We can't tell people our home track is 50 miles away.

Comment

All things being equal, I totally agree that every sport should have decent faclities and practice room. However, The big money sports of football and basketball, the better they are taken care of and being able to produce more money and will allow for the other sports to have a share of the pie. The more we can make off the football team after expanding CAS the more money we would inturn have for building a new track and tennis courts and such.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks r us
                          [quote author=joeboo22 link=1173939865/150#157 date=1174941846]I don't see what the use would be on building an expensive  track for maybe one track meet a year when Howard Wood is right down the interstate and SF has the infistructer to host such a track meet.... I knew they were planning some football projects but did not know that such a buildng was in the plans.

We need a track at SDSU!  By using your logic, we should next bid the WNIT in Sioux Falls at the Arena since they have more seats and it is right down the road?  [/quote]

NOOO.. Is there a College Track at SDSU right now??? There is an arena, SDSU has around 20 home games in mens/womens hoops.. There would be 1 track meet a year, If im not mistaken USD used Yankton's track last year for a track meet... If it takes a Track build one but I would much rather see them spend that money on there indoor facility because of the weather in South Dakota.. O Ya where are they going to build a track??? nobody wants it around the football field... What im getting at is I would much rather spend the limited resources on basketball and football because those sports you do get a return on and then can fund other projects such as a track later... In the near future I believe that Howard Wood would be more then enough to host a track meet. I know that college should be about education but lets be honest money talks and if we keep up Frost and update Caughlin we will have more money later for a track and a tennis court and maybe we can put in stall heaters/fans in the equestrin barn..(maybe there already in place)

Comment

[quote author=jacks r us link=1173939865/150#158 date=1174953009][quote author=joeboo22 link=1173939865/150#157 date=1174941846]I don't see what the use would be on building an expensive  track for maybe one track meet a year when Howard Wood is right down the interstate and SF has the infistructer to host such a track meet.... I knew they were planning some football projects but did not know that such a buildng was in the plans.

NOOO.. Is there a College Track at SDSU right now??? There is an arena, SDSU has around 20 home games in mens/womens hoops.. There would be 1 track meet a year, If im not mistaken USD used Yankton's track last year for a track meet... If it takes a Track build one but I would much rather see them spend that money on there indoor facility because of the weather in South Dakota.. O Ya where are they going to build a track??? nobody wants it around the football field... What im getting at is I would much rather spend the limited resources on basketball and football because those sports you do get a return on and then can fund other projects such as a track later... In the near future I believe that Howard Wood would be more then enough to host a track meet. I know that college should be about education but lets be honest money talks and if we keep up Frost and update Caughlin we will have more money later for a track and a tennis court and maybe we can put in stall heaters/fans in the equestrin barn..(maybe there already in place) [/quote]

If we had an outdoor track facility suitable for hosting meets, we could hold as many meets as we wanted, just as we did years ago when the Sexauer Field track was in good shape.  A D-I institution does not host meets away from its own facilities (unless, of course, there are exceptions due to rules such as holding an event on a neutral court or field -- I think I read the Mid-Con basketball tourney is hosted by a conference school but on a neutral court).

It is fortunate, joeboo, that our athletic administration rarely shares your point of view.

ADDITION:  The athletic department has considered these issues and has at least rough plans for facilities improvements and additions as time and money permit.  They have set priorities.  Plans can be modified as conditions change (e.g., a special gift of money for a particular facility improvement or addition).  Those plans include a separate track facility, joeboo...I don't think anyone has advocated putting the track around the football field.  I have no problem with people throwing their ideas out there for debate but keep in mind the athletic department is continually working on these issues and they have good information, know the numbers ($$'s) and timeline.  There's never enough money to get it all done the way most would like as quickly as most would like.  Personally, I think Dr. Oien and his staff, the coaches and athletes, continue to deserve a great deal of credit and our thanks for what they have accomplished in the transition.  We have come through a very difficult period with flying colors (as has our traveling partner, NDSU), poised to immediately establish ourselves as leaders in the Mid-Con and Gateway conferences.  

Comment

Put the stick down and slowly back away from the horse. ;D

Go State!

Comment

Look out, it’s the attack of the Moderators. So you think it’s possible that we would be able to host several track meets a year with a new track? I wish I could be as optimistic. As much as I want all the sports to have it good with facilities, it takes money as we all know that. Where will that money come from? Most likely the revenue generating sports I would guess. Would the money we have right now benefit the school most by updating and improving frost? Or building a new track now that we could maybe host a few track meets a year in. Updating frost doesn’t just benefit basketball, it benefits the whole campus and community compared to a new track. Not that I am picking on track, but they are just the example that needs new updates as well. A new indoor training facility or field house would benefit all athletes no matter the sport.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X