SD Showdown -- Keep it or dump it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Showdown -- Keep it or dump it.

Is the South Dakota Showdown a good idea? [Link to the Showdown website: http://www.sdcornshowdown.com/ ] Learfield Sports (has contracts with both SDSU and USD) and the South Dakota Corn Utilization Council referred to themselves as "partners" in sponsoring the "competition". Personally, I think it's a poor idea. A contrived "competition" that seems to generate little interest. If the "competition" generates scholarship dollars for student athletes or some other measurable advantage, it's not discussed on the website. (The website says its purpose is to raise money for Feeding South Dakota.)

I do not know how a fair measure of competition can be determined when SDSU sponsors more sports than USD. The fact that SDSU devotes dollars to sports not covered by USD is not part of the measuring equation.

So, how about a poll.
    Keep it: Long live the Showdown!
    61.76%
    Dump It!
    26.47%
    It's all just a nefarious conspiracy by the athletics administrators.
    11.76%

The poll is expired.

Re: SD Showdown -- Keep it or dump it.

I voted to keep. Not a good reason comes to mind for keeping it except, it possibly fosters a rivalry that took a turn south when the NCC went down in flames. I don't think its a good idea to poo-poo, the partners concept. The corn growers should have made some money the past few years and if they do this to promote both USD and SDSU, then so be it. Corn looking better for this year with today's rain, but 4 buck a bushel looks to be the norm this year.

Comment

Sure, why not?

As far as I can tell, the biggest and most significant and visible effect of the Corn Showdown is that it fills up advertising slots on the SDSU and USD radio network broadcasts.

Better than more repetitions of Jackrabbit Central/SDSU Bookstore ads, anyway.

(I didn't vote because I didn't see a "Meh" option . . .)
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

LOL on the "meh" option. Actually, that sums up my feelings perfectly. Unfortunately, I don't think I can add to the poll's choices.

We'll soon be entering the summer doldrums so, why not an inane poll.

Comment

I too vote meh.

But if I had to choose I would dump it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by slosho; 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

As long as SDSU keeps winning it, keep it...the second we lose..drop the heck out of it.

Nah...I too feel meh.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Can someone please explain what the South Dakota Showdown is and why I should care?

Enough said.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Can someone please explain what the South Dakota Showdown is and why I should care?

Enough said.
                Its a trophy that looks like its filled with corn puffs cereal and SDSU wins it every year because we beat USD in majority of sports. Its designed to confirm what we already know as SDSU is better then USD, this just helps prove it.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

No smack, please.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    No smack, please.
                    Is this directed at my comment or in general for others or USD fans to keep from turning it into a pissing match?
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Enough said.
                      My best guess is that the revival of the old rivalry at the D1 level might create some excitement in the competition. From the responses on this thread, the cup does not excite. We should have a version of Jaywalking from the former Tonight Show host do a street level survery and find out what the citizens of South Dakota understand about this competition and "award". If it irritates the yote fans as they lose another year, I say it is a good thing!
                      Last edited by OldHare; 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Its a trophy that looks like its filled with corn puffs cereal and SDSU wins it every year because we beat USD in majority of sports. Its designed to confirm what we already know as SDSU is better then USD, this just helps prove it.
                        The gap is not that wide. Coyotes volleyball, softball and track are superior at this time. Women's basketball and men's and women's golf and cross country are close. Cross country closer than golf. Men's basketball and football are still clearly stronger at SDSU but you could argue that gap has narrowed. I have no idea on swimming and diving teams. I think soccer and tennis are close as well.

I'm not sure how much it motivates players, coaches or fans but it does seem to generate some interest and advertising exposure, dollars. I say keep it for now.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          The gap is not that wide. Coyotes volleyball, softball and track are superior at this time. Women's basketball and men's and women's golf and cross country are close. Cross country closer than golf. Men's basketball and football are still clearly stronger at SDSU but you could argue that gap has narrowed. I have no idea on swimming and diving teams. I think soccer and tennis are close as well.

I'm not sure how much it motivates players, coaches or fans but it does seem to generate some interest and advertising exposure, dollars. I say keep it for now.
                          Does anyone recall the score from last year? Is this year score closer or did we widen the gap? I dont doubt that they have good programs and some years will beat us is some sports but most years i just dont see us losing this very often.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Does anyone recall the score from last year? Is this year score closer or did we widen the gap? I dont doubt that they have good programs and some years will beat us is some sports but most years i just dont see us losing this very often.
                            Last year was tight, I think Jacks only won by a point or two.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Last year was tight, I think Jacks only won by a point or two.

Ok thanks, I couldn’t recall. So this year the score is more favorable to SDSU, even though some of the competitions for the points were most likely very close. I can’t help but think that will be the case most years. If USD gets football and splits basketball they might have a chance, but I don’t see us losing those points most years.

Comment

Working...
                              X