Performance center deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Performance center deadline

Okay track & field fans, does the track need to have "banked" corners to be considered an official NCAA Track? Can this facility host meets and conference championships?
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      Okay track & field fans, does the track need to have "banked" corners to be considered an official NCAA Track? Can this facility host meets and conference championships?
      300 meter indoor tracks are not banked. Yes it can host meets and championships. This track is one of a handful of 300 indoor tracks.

Comment

Okay, bear with me, as I still don't understand. The NCAA championship is held at the University of Arkansas this year. Their track description is as follows....

The track itself is a 200-meter, 60-degree banked track that has 55- meter straightways running the entire length of the facility. It also includes men’s and women’s jumping runways and pits. The surface of the track is red and gray Mondo and was repainted in 2003
        Is a 300 meter preferred by most athletes, or do they like the banked tracks?
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

One of the memories I had from my college track career was looking forward to the annual trip to Iowa State for an indoor meet on a 300m track. That extra 100m made a big difference. 200m tracks feel like one big turn that you never get out of. I'm sure the coaches and athletes in Brookings are thrilled ​to have such a facility.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            Okay, bear with me, as I still don't understand. The NCAA championship is held at the University of Arkansas this year. Their track description is as follows....

Is a 300 meter preferred by most athletes, or do they like the banked tracks?
            In the fast races (200 meters through 800 meters...some runners may include the 1500 in my analysis) runners who have short legs have an advantage on the tight turns on 200-meter tracks. Long-legged runners in sprints and middle distance have a disadvantage on the tight turns of a 200 meter track.

Compare to a 300-meter track: the short-legged guys have no disadvantage but neither do the long-legged runners. So, long legged runners would prefer the 300-meter track because they can shed the disadvantage of the tight turns on a 200 meter track.

Damn short guys. I have long legs and ran 400 through 800 on the indoor track. The centrifugal force on a taller, long-legged runner is significant compared to a short guy.

A 300-meter track like SDSU's has corners that are close to the corner radius on a 400 meter track.

Now, for qualifying standards (e.g. NCAA national meet), there is an accepted conversion factor which is applied to times run on a 300-meter track to make it equivalent to the time on a 200-meter track so that qualifying times are adjusted to an apples-to-apples comparison. Same thing for a banked track: depending on the angle of the banking, there may be adjustments to times. A carefully banked 200-meter track can adjust for centrifugal force and give the runner an experience similar to a 300-meter track HOWEVER there are some tricks (depending on the angle of the banking) applied in running on a banked track. For example, when a runner is sprinting on a tight corner but banked track, they should adjust their arms swings (inside - left - arm stays in close to the body and the swing is shorter than running on a 400-meter outdoor track, while the outside - right - arm swing is exaggerated -- almost throwing the arm away from the body to stay in the tight, banked corner (my first college indoor meet was on an 11-lap-for-1600 meters board track in Canada with very steeply banked corners...keep in mind a 200-meter track is 8-laps for 1600 meters. Had to really adjust arm swings to stay on the track in a 400-meter sprint).

I believe the 300 meter track is the maximum length allowable for indoor tracks for purpose of qualifying meets. A 400-meter track could be placed inside the SuperDome but times run on a 400-meter indoor track would not be accepted for qualifying for the NCAA indoor championships.

Summary: 300-meter track is more "fair" in that it eliminates the advantage the stubby runts have on a 200-meter track. The runts have nothing to complain about. [There are some sprinters who win indoors but when track moves outdoors to 400-meter tracks, they're not as successful.]
            Last edited by JackJD; 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              One of the memories I had from my college track career was looking forward to the annual trip to Iowa State for an indoor meet on a 300m track. That extra 100m made a big difference. 200m tracks feel like one big turn that you never get out of. I'm sure the coaches and athletes in Brookings are thrilled ​to have such a facility.
              Been in the Iowa State facility two or three times. It's very nice but my recollection is that it has some interior support columns on the inside of the track but outside the practice turf. I think the Iowa State 300-meter track may have slightly tighter corners than the SDSU track (not positive: just an eyeball guess). [The same facility also holds the Iowa State wrestling facilities -- the pictures on the wall of Iowa State wrestling greats is like a history of Olympic wrestling.]

Comment

A gallery from the Track and CC team page...https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8052628&type=1

Comment

Is the plan to play the football spring game in the athletic development center?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    Is the plan to play the football spring game in the athletic development center?
                    A good question, if we get our April showers, this might be the alternative, but with a nice sunny, I would think it would be outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      A good question, if we get our April showers, this might be the alternative, but with a nice sunny, I would think it would be outdoors.
                      I assume there will be construction going on at CAS in April. Depending on what they are doing, that might be reason to have it inside the SJAC regardless of weather.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        I assume there will be construction going on at CAS in April. Depending on what they are doing, that might be reason to have it inside the SJAC regardless of weather.
                        Good point. Will be nice environment to watch the spring game and would assume more people would come out to watch. Would be nice to make the spring game more of an event!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Excellent, I had not thought about that possibility.

Comment

We all know the field isn't 100 yards long as it can't be to keep the track regulation size like we want, but is the width regulation for a normal field? I played on an 80 yard field growing up for my first three years, and I know that was narrower. anyone have an answer?
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think it can be said that for practice and a spring game, you really don't need 100 yards. I never played 9 man ball but I think they have a limit for the width of the field.

According to Wiki the width is generally 40 yards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-man_football

I suppose it can vary.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-09-2014, 07:46 AM.

Comment

According to their Twitter account a couple weeks ago, The Pride is having their Indoor Concert in the practice facility at the end of the month.

Comment

Working...
                                X