Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 14 sports

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    You should've. Every dollar spent on FB has to be matched to a dollar spent on women's athletics.
    Cool.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Cool.
      Admittedly, the previous post buries that point in an explanation of how cutting sports doesn't necessarily free up money for football...

But that, in a nutshell, is what SDSU is up against when it comes to the FB budget. Either raise a dollar for FB and another dollar for women's sports or take a dollar from another men's sport.

Comment

One other note for those who are not a fan of Title IX's impact on men's sports:

SDSU's broad support for athletics is one reason why it is among a ridiculously small number of mid-majors (it may well be the *only* mid major) that sponsors baseball and wrestling while being Title IX compliant.

NDSU sponsors both sports, but is has participation ratios that are 27% out of line.
        The U of M sponsors both sports, but also has a $70M+ athletic budget.

Comment

Have to say I don't understand how dropping sports would be a good move. I look at the same way I viewed dropping academic programs last year, it doesn't make SDSU a better institution. IMHO the better move is to find a way to strengthen ALL existing programs and look for opportunities to expand further.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
            Have to say I don't understand how dropping sports would be a good move. I look at the same way I viewed dropping academic programs last year, it doesn't make SDSU a better institution. IMHO the better move is to find a way to strengthen ALL existing programs and look for opportunities to expand further.
            Since the goal of the University is to strengthen and grow its existing programs, as well as strategically add program that meets its profile then as the 'front-porch of the University', the athletic department needs to meet that same objective. I know there were some very difficult program cuts, but in the long run, I think the University will be stronger because of it.

Comment

Working...
            X