Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 14 sports

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    The funds for cutting those sports couldn't be put into Volleyball, softball, or track and field?
    Softball and track and field need an indoor practice facility, and softball needed a new coach. The presence or absence of swim/dive, tennis and golf have no major impact on that.

Comment

I guess I would rather see us try to build up each program as needed with what ever resources are practical. I do like seeing things like winning the commish cup and womens all sports titles. With out Tennis and S/D, we probably do win those. Giving softball a few more bucks does that really mean they will win the confrence tourny every year? Are golf and tennis really hurting volleyball?
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I haven't read this whole thread but I'll give my opinion.
        I think both MBB and WBB have a full staff of coaches. They both have their own lounges. We are recruiting players from other countries so I don't think that is a real problem. Our WBB team has been to the Big Dance every year they have been eligible. They were in the WNIT before that. The MBB team is as good as they have ever been but it's not there, yet.
        The WVB team has their own lounge and they have been good some years. They have a new coach who, I think, will get them back to the top of the conference.
        Football is the main team that is up in the air. They made the playoffs for the 1st time in many years just a few years ago. They do have the Dykhouse Center but they lack in other areas.

I'm not knocking the move to DI but if it is so great, why do we have to cut other programs? Do we cut baseball and softball (outdoor sports) to keep wrestling and other sports like that? I don't know what the answers are but cutting sports would really make some people hate DI.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          I think both MBB and WBB have a full staff of coaches. They both have their own lounges. We are recruiting players from other countries so I don't think that is a real problem. Our WBB team has been to the Big Dance every year they have been eligible. They were in the WNIT before that. The MBB team is as good as they have ever been but it's not there, yet.
          The WVB team has their own lounge and they have been good some years. They have a new coach who, I think, will get them back to the top of the conference.
          Football is the main team that is up in the air. They made the playoffs for the 1st time in many years just a few years ago. They do have the Dykhouse Center but they lack in other areas.

I'm not knocking the move to DI but if it is so great, why do we have to cut other programs? Do we cut baseball and softball (outdoor sports) to keep wrestling and other sports like that? I don't know what the answers are but cutting sports would really make some people hate DI.

The basketball budgets should go up. If anything the foreign players were added because of a poor budget. Neither player had been seen by any coach in real life. It was not like Nagy and company went on a 10 day Euro-vacation to recruit basketball players.

I've been reading and the cost of these AAU programs on programs continues to go up. Most of the tournaments charge $100 a day for a coach, plus $100 (some $200) for the packet with the names and information on the kids.

The budget goes to more then lounges and on campus facilities which need some improvement for basketball but are probably the best overall of any major sport at SDSU. The money is needed to pay the assistants better, pay the scouting firms, pay the recruiting travel budgets. Some schools have private planes for their coaches to recruit with. From my knowledge SDSU is almost 100% by car.

I just don't think cutting a program will help anything. Because you cut 1 and every other program thinks they are next.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

Its like the one line in the SDSU Bookstore commerical "Have no fear Captain Marvel is here" I think we can take this to heart as there are no signs that some drastric move needs to be made or if they are in the works. Justin Sells would be the best source. Every Saturday he talks about coaches and programs and sounds very positive.

I am getting old and redundant, but you mention football and the relative resource shortfall, again I bring up The difference Makers group who have added roughly 40k to the football budget. The last game program listed about 62 members who each gave at least $500, some have no doubt given more so my estimation 40k might be low, but my point is in a very quite way extra funds are being raised. This season is a wierd one. I suspect Coach Stig and staff learned early in fall camp that at this point we might be headed for a losing season. I dont think he was being negative but more like realistic. The experience was not there and with additional injuries, we just did not match up with most of the MVFC teams. I clearly recall Coach Stig saying this year team had no all stars, and I think he is very correct. Is this his fault? Not entirely, but at some point in the season a coach can tell what the season endng will be in terms of wins and losses. They know how things are going to crank out.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Or, put another way: Stanford has never won an NCAA title in 14 of the 31 varsity sports they sponsor. And they've never won a recognized championship in football or basketball (they've only been awarded retroactive titles in those sports).

Should Stanford drop some of its 31 sports? Especially since it has fewer undergraduates than SDSU?
              Are you comparing our financial situation to Stanford? We aren't even in the ballpark. Before at least you were making some good, thoughtful points, that I could at least respect. You're better than this.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...k-at-stanford/
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                Are you comparing our financial situation to Stanford? We aren't even in the ballpark. Before at least you were making some good, thoughtful points, that I could at least respect. You're better than this.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...k-at-stanford/
                I dont see Stanford racking in NCAA championships every year. Maybe if they cut some sports they could focus on funding the big sports so they could finally win more championships. Or do their programs not affect the funding your saying. Stanford I am guessing does not fund basketball as well as say UNC or DUKE. maybe they could be better if they cut the golf team.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I dont see Stanford racking in NCAA championships every year. Maybe if they cut some sports they could focus on funding the big sports so they could finally win more championships. Or do their programs not affect the funding your saying. Stanford I am guessing does not fund basketball as well as say UNC or DUKE. maybe they could be better if they cut the golf team.
                  I dont think Tiger would appreciate that very much! If you have ever been to the Stanford campus you would realize that they have no interest in getting rid of those "small" sports. A focal point on the campus is a monument dedicated to the hundreds of Olympians and medal winners who were Stanford athletes. Here is the list of medal winners from Bejing alone:

Nicole Barnhart Gold Women's Soccer
                  Rachel Buehler Gold Women's Soccer
                  Gabe Gardner Gold Men's Volleyball
                  Kevin Hansen Gold Men's Volleyball
                  Adam Kreek (Canada) Gold Men's Eight
                  Elle Logan Gold Women's Eight
                  Kerri Walsh Gold Women's Beach Volleyball
                  Ben Wildman-Tobriner Gold 4 x 100m freestyle relay
                  Tony Azevedo Silver Men's Water Polo
                  Layne Beaubin Silver Men's Water Polo
                  Elaine Breeden Silver 4 x 100m medley relay
                  Alison Gregorka Silver Women's Water Polo
                  Peter Hudnut Silver Men's Water Polo
                  Lauren Lappin Silver Softball
                  Jessica Mendoza Silver Softball
                  Ogonna Nnamani Silver Women's Volleyball
                  Julia Smit Silver, Bronze 4 x 100m freestyle relay, 4 x 200m relay
                  Jessica Steffens Silver Women's Water Polo
                  Brenda Villa Silver Women's Water Polo
                  Logan Tom Silver Women's Volleyball
                  Peter Varellas Silver Men's Water Polo
                  Bob Bryan Bronze Men's Doubles Tennis
                  Mike Bryan Bronze Men's Doubles Tennis
                  John Gall Bronze Baseball

Comment

And Stanford doesn't lose spending/funding on the major sports because of smaller sports. It's ****ing Stanford. Bigger schools do not have the same problems that schools like SDSU have.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                      I dont think Tiger would appreciate that very much! If you have ever been to the Stanford campus you would realize that they have no interest in getting rid of those "small" sports. A focal point on the campus is a monument dedicated to the hundreds of Olympians and medal winners who were Stanford athletes. Here is the list of medal winners from Bejing alone:

Nicole Barnhart Gold Women's Soccer
                      Rachel Buehler Gold Women's Soccer
                      Gabe Gardner Gold Men's Volleyball
                      Kevin Hansen Gold Men's Volleyball
                      Adam Kreek (Canada) Gold Men's Eight
                      Elle Logan Gold Women's Eight
                      Kerri Walsh Gold Women's Beach Volleyball
                      Ben Wildman-Tobriner Gold 4 x 100m freestyle relay
                      Tony Azevedo Silver Men's Water Polo
                      Layne Beaubin Silver Men's Water Polo
                      Elaine Breeden Silver 4 x 100m medley relay
                      Alison Gregorka Silver Women's Water Polo
                      Peter Hudnut Silver Men's Water Polo
                      Lauren Lappin Silver Softball
                      Jessica Mendoza Silver Softball
                      Ogonna Nnamani Silver Women's Volleyball
                      Julia Smit Silver, Bronze 4 x 100m freestyle relay, 4 x 200m relay
                      Jessica Steffens Silver Women's Water Polo
                      Brenda Villa Silver Women's Water Polo
                      Logan Tom Silver Women's Volleyball
                      Peter Varellas Silver Men's Water Polo
                      Bob Bryan Bronze Men's Doubles Tennis
                      Mike Bryan Bronze Men's Doubles Tennis
                      John Gall Bronze Baseball
                      Thank you for making the point. Not one of them is from the big sports football, or mens or womens basketball. Maybe if they cut the water polo team they could do better in the big sports because they would have more resources.

The idea that having more money will fix the problem is the point. Having more funds available couldnt hurt, but there is also more to it then overall budget for each program.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Thank you for making the point. Not one of them is from the big sports football, or mens or womens basketball. Maybe if they cut the water polo team they could do better in the big sports because they would have more resources.

The idea that having more money will fix the problem is the point. Having more funds available couldnt hurt, but there is also more to it then overall budget for each program.
                        Exactly my point. I bring up Stanford because they epitomize the broad-based approach to athletics that SDSU also has.

Comment

Exactly my point. I bring up Stanford because they epitomize the broad-based approach to athletics that SDSU also has.
                          But they can also fund those other sports properly while still fund football comparatively to other schools. SDSU does not have that luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            But they can also fund those other sports properly while still fund football comparatively to other schools. SDSU does not have that luxury.
                            But how do you define 'properly'? If you view SDSU's peers as the Summit, and Stanford's peers as the Pac-12, both fund their sports properly, IMO. SDSU is quite competitive in most Summit sponsored sports, and where they aren't (golf, tennis), facilities are the major problem, not ongoing funding.

Further, and here's the key point: Cutting women's sports and putting the money into football would actually *cost* SDSU more than keeping these sports.

The BOR mandates *full* Title IX compliance, and that means proportional spending on athletics as well as participation.

If SDSU redirected all of the swim/dive, tennis and golf money into FB, they would have to find an additional $177k to spend on other women's sports. Cutting swim/dive, tennis and golf would actually increase SDSU's expenditures.

SDSU could cancel men's tennis, men's S&D and men's golf, and direct $188k to the FB program, but $188k is also only $4 per alum per year, or $14 per student per year. It's also only about 1.5% of the budget.

Dropping that many men's sports means eliminating about 15% of SDSU's male student athletes, putting them seriously out of compliance the other way in Title IX terms. The cheapest option would be adding 38 men to the track team, but that would up your spending on T&F, reducing your cost savings and creating a dollar for dollar need to increase spending on women's T&F, etc.

Essentially, the BOR mandates, if not SDSU's philosophy, preclude cutting sports for any reason other than budget.

Comment

But how do you define 'properly'? If you view SDSU's peers as the Summit, and Stanford's peers as the Pac-12, both fund their sports properly, IMO. SDSU is quite competitive in most Summit sponsored sports, and where they aren't (golf, tennis), facilities are the major problem, not ongoing funding.
                              I'm not arguing SDSU's ability to fund the rest of their sports. I'm talking about their ability to fund football, which they are last in the Valley.

I did not read the rest of your post because I am not for cutting sports, I just think comparing the situations at Stanford and SDSU is silly beyond that both teams fund lots of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                I did not read the rest of your post
                                You should've. Every dollar spent on FB has to be matched to a dollar spent on women's athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X